Seen any good movies lately?

We watched Happiest Season the other night on Hula with Kristen Stewart and really liked it.

4 Likes

We did our quarantine holiday binge - started on Christmas Eve with Muppets Christmas Carol. My adult children still love to watch this on Christmas Eve and can’t wait for the restored version to come out with the missing song. Then on Christmas Day it was Wonder Woman 1984 and Soul. Enjoyed both in their own way. Family votes make for some fun combinations!

I enjoyed Wonder Woman 1984 yesterday, although not as much as the original. Then I watched a couple of episodes of Sarah Jane Adventures (which I’m binging) and it had the exact same concept and plot resolution! It was theme night on HBO Max.

1 Like

Interesting. Do tell us more. I have not heard about this. The Muppets are among my sons’ favorite memories. My youngest has “Rainbow Connection” as the first song on his baby daughter’s Alexa playlist. His wife wasn’t as into them and she rolls her eyes at us as we sing along. LOL.

There was a whole curfuffle when the ballad When Love is Gone was cut and then lost. It was found and restored. The restored version is not available yet but the cut version is on Disney + Lost Muppet Christmas Carol song rediscovered - BBC News

1 Like

Last night, I watched Let Them All Talk on HBO Max, the new movie starring Meryl Streep, Dianne Wiest, Candice Bergen, Lucas Hedges, and Gemma Chan. And especially starring the Queen Mary 2! It held my interest (how could it not with that cast) but I wasn’t a big fan of how the dialogue was created and I would have liked a bit more plot. No spoilers, but the movie was created last year in a different way than usual.

The ship looked beautiful; almost made me reconsider ever cruising again. Almost.

H and I binged on Christmas movies on both Christmas Day and Christmas Eve. It was only the two of us–so we figured, why not. Our always watch list includes: It’s a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, and Miracle on 34th Street. This year we added Holiday Inn, an Irving Berlin musical with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. Berlin wrote the White Christmas song for this movie, which was filmed way before the film White Christmas. The last two movies we watched were foreign films–A Christmas Tale (French film staring Catherine Deneuve) which I found depressing and weird. The other was a Finnish film Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale–think horror film with a creepy Santa Claus, reindeer, and a cute kid. I enjoyed it.

1 Like

Tonight we watched two very different, but very good, movies. First we watched Love and Monsters, which was a really enjoyable end-of-the-world romp. Then we watched I’m Your Woman, a noir crime drama told from the perspective of the wife of a gangster who is on the run and has no idea what’s going on or why she’s running. I can hardily recommend them both.

Seven Samurai - it is a must (re)watch classic. Kurosawa’s finest.

Saw Blow the Man Down last night - an Amazon original. It was really good. Murder mystery with humor.

1 Like

I highly recommend Sh$$house. I don’t think I can write the word here, but it’s a very good movie. It won the grand prize at SXSW.

We watched an interesting Norweigan documentary (The Painter and The Thief) last night. It’s a story of a painter who becomes enmeshed in the life of the man who stole her paintings (which he took from a museum). The film received great reviews at a recent Sundance Film Festival.

We watched two very different movies this weekend and liked them both. The first was Safety Not Guaranteed. Thank you for suggesting this one. H and I both loved it. The second one was The Professor and the Madman which we also liked about creating the Oxford dictionary.

1 Like

We watched two Korean films recently- Train to Busan and Okja- and both were really good. Train to Busan has to be the best zombie movie I’ve ever seen.

We watched Uncle Frank on Amazon. Highly recommend this movie, funny, sad and Paul Bettany is incredible.

1 Like

Yes on The Professor and the Madman! I never heard of that movie. It was good.

Thanks for the recommendation! We watched it last night. Very enjoyable, feel good movie.

2 Likes

From the NY Times:
The Best Movies on Amazon Prime Video Right Now

I really enjoyed the original but thought WW1984 was absolutely terrible. So disappointing.

I enjoyed Tenet. It’s ambitious and visually appealing like many of Christopher Nolan’s films. Like Inception, subsequent viewings reveal deeper layers of the story. Kenneth Branagh was masterfully sinister and Robert Pattinson’s performance surprised me—he has matured as an actor since Twilight.

2 Likes