Seen any good movies lately?

Just watched Sound of Metal on Amazon Prime. It’s about a heavy metal drummer who begins to rapidly lose his hearing and his difficulty adjusting to life afterwards. Riz Ahmed’s moving performance is likely to win awards.

1 Like

We watched One Night In Miami last night. I’d love to know how much was actually true. It was very good, the acting was great. It was originally a play and this felt very much like a play. Or at least many scenes felt like that. I’d recommend it.

Just watched. Was kinda thinking it would be like Knives Out, but alas there wasn’t really any humor. Oh well.

I agree. I spent the whole movie waiting for the entertainment to start. Wasn’t for me.

1 Like

@surfcity - we also watched One Night in Miami. I agree with you - the acting was superb, and it often felt like a play, although they did add some flash backs and flash forwards.

I found it thought provoking. I also spent a lot of time afterwards researching the people and events mentioned.

I also saw One Night in Miami last Friday and enjoyed the movie and Leslie Odom, Jr’s performance in particular. I understand that while the four individuals did gather at the Hampton House hotel on that particular night, the actual conversations that took place are not known. Hence, the dialogue is a fictionalized account of the discussions. I guess that only Jim Brown, the lone surviving member of quartet, knows what was really said.

We enjoyed Wonder Woman 1984, too. At first, I thought I hated it and then I realized why I hated it (which is kind of the whole point of the movie – no spoilers). By the end, I felt it was just such an appropriate movie for the time we are living in now.

It was very different from the first one, which was amazing. But I ended up really loving the sequel, as well, for different reasons.

Now, I need to look up the Sarah Jane Adventures, as we are Doctor Who nuts.

1 Like

I rewatched Wonder Woman 1984 with my husband a few days ago (before it leaves HBO Max). There were a couple of aspects of it that didn’t really register the first time but bothered me quite a bit this time. And I still really disliked one casting choice.

This should go on the tv thread, but I finished cross-streaming Doctor Who and Sarah Jane Adventures, and am continuing on by cross -streaming Doctor Who and Torchwood.

3 Likes

We watch Sarah Jane, Torchwood, and Class on our rewatches too. We love everything Who in our house.

2 Likes

Blow the Man Down: Last fall we bailed on that after about 10 minutes. We had friends staying with us who had evacuated from wildfires . It was not the humorous, upbeat movie we were looking for.

My Spy comedy/action film on Amazon Prime ended up fitting the bill on above described night, made us all laugh.

The Midnight Sky (Netflix, George Clooney): I enjoyed it. Hubby was not as big a fan, but he admitted the special effects (scenery at Arctic and in space/spaceship) were good. It was a good escape on a Covid evening, lots better than watching more News.

2 Likes

Continuing on the Nolan theme, we watched Interstellar. Thought provoking, beautiful cinematography, and fine acting. A worthy addition to our space movie canon.

1 Like

This is not exactly a movie and not exactly a series, but we just finished the 4 part Self Made on Netflix and it was excellent. Based on a true story with Octavia Spencer.

Watched The Dig on Netflix last night, about the discovery of Anglo-Saxon artifacts at Sutton Hoo. Some of it was fictionalized, but a lot was based on fact. I enjoyed it, and spent a lot of time afterwards searching for more information on the internet.

2 Likes

We decided to rewatch the good old nineties disaster flicks. Dante’s Peak our entertainment last weekend. The laptops used by the volcanologists looked ancient but the special effects were still quite good! :slight_smile: Twister is on the short list for this weekend.

1 Like

YES—I think I wore out Wikipedia after finishing The Dig–did not know that both Pigotts had long careers in archeology afterwards. Edith Pretty gave birth to Robert when she was 47!

3 Likes

@college_query And @MADad I just finished The Dig and am about to do the post movie research. I watched mainly for Ralph and Carey but enjoyed the movie more than I thought. I’m not curious about archeology typically but found the movie interesting and emotional.

A few nights ago while trying to find some last movies to watch before cancelling Disney+, we noticed Mary Poppins Returns (2018 - [Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda Ben Whishaw… with delightful guest appearances by Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury). It was fun and we enjoyed it.

Last night we decided to watch the original Mary Poppins. We really loved it, especially the old familiar, toe-tapping tunes. This morning my husband teased me about humming Supercalifragilistic. I corrected him, "it was Let’s Go Fly a Kite " - perfect for our windy weather today.

1 Like

The Dig, doesn’t do justice to the importance of the discovery. Mrs Pretty’s cousin is a fictionalized character.

Good link to see the life of very wealthy Mrs Pretty

The Dig, was a cc book discussion years ago,

2 Likes

Another rainy weekend afternoon, so I watched Boys State on Apple TV. Very thought provoking - I enjoyed it.

My husband and I both enjoyed The Dig (Netflix).

Seeing the actress Lily James reminded us that we also had liked the movie The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Netflix).

2 Likes