Seen any good movies lately?

I expected the first photos to have him spelling out a message.

1 Like

LOL. We need to rewatch that one after watching Interstellar. We couldn’t believe Matt Damon appeared out of nowhere in that movie.

Actually, I need to rewatch Interstellar. There were a lot of parts I thought were super cool. Others were just…what? Why?

1 Like

Exactly how I felt about 2001: A Space Odyssey!

2 Likes

Interstellar was pretty but the plot holes were so enormous I ended up hating the movie.

I enjoyed The Martian, but liked the book better. Matt Damon seemed all wrong for the role.

1 Like

Nomadland on Hulu - It’s a movie based on the book by the same name about the post 2008 recession that gave rise to nomads living out of RVs and vans and taking temporary work in Amazon warehouses, state parks and agricultural harvesting.

It’s unique in having lead roles played by actors that interact with real people living the nomad lifestyle and telling their stories. The backdrop is the stunning scenery from the American west.

It explores the opposites between community and loneliness, the desire to be settled and the lure of adventure, the haves and the have-nots. I found myself vacillating between sadness and pity to admiration and envy.

1 Like

I heard a very positive review of Nomadland on public radio last night. The reviewer said it was very moving, and the third time he watched it (my guess is they don’t watch all movies 3 times), he cried.

In what world is Matt Damon ever wrong for any role🤷‍♀️ I am biased since he’s my boyfriend (in my head)!

6 Likes

Watched Streetcar Named Desire with Vivian Leigh and Marlon Brando. Truly a great drama. My son and DIL watched it thinking it would be a romantic movie for their anniversary…umm…not…LOL.

2 Likes

I read the book and thought it was great. DIdn’t realize they were making a movie. Unfortunately I don’t have Hulu.

1 Like

Watched Judas and the Black Messiah today. It’s exceptionally well acted. I’m coming to believe that Daniel Kaluuya is perhaps the best actor of his age. Everything he does is superb.

1 Like

We watched Nomadland a few nights ago. I thought it was really well done. I’ll probably watch it again this week. My sons thought it was ok, but it didn’t resonate with them the way it did with me. Frances McDormand is such a phenomenal actress. She is believable in any role. It is a very quiet movie that makes you think about it long after it ends.

5 Likes

The Nomadland reviewer that I heard on radio mentioned that Frances McDormand was the ideal actress to interact with the non-actor cast. He also thought that it was a story that could have been told as documentary but was more powerful this way.

4 Likes

Just watched The Dig, and I want to thank you all for bringing this to my attention. I was an anthropology major in college and took some archeology courses. Also I spent six weeks one summer on a dig, so I really enjoyed watching the process unfold. (The most we found were arrowheads, not gold treasure.) The acting was first rate.

6 Likes

A Man Called Ove (Netflix) - Great movie. I had enjoyed the book a few years ago. The movie is a little different and does not go into as much depth on some of the plotlines, but it was very well done.

2 Likes

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things on Amazon Prime. A combination of Groundhog Day meets John Hughes, but sweeter and definitely pulls at the heart strings. Really really liked this one.

2 Likes

i liked the Dig too.

i lived on a rural farm for a bit growing up during my dad’s beekeeping and raku pottery days. We found a few arrowheads there. I loved finding those!

3 Likes

We just saw The Aeronauts on Amazon Prime last night with Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones. Loved it. It’s inspired by a true story and had us on the edge of our seats for most of the movie. Beautiful cinematography. Very well done and enjoyable.

4 Likes

My husband and I both loved The Aeronauts… one of the few films that we’ve recommended to our kids (also science geeks like us). The human drama revolving around historic discovery kept our interest.

2 Likes

We just finished watching Coming 2 America. What corny, nostalgic, silly fun! Great cameos. The cast must have had a ball making this movie.

1 Like

We watched I Care a Lot last night - it was a pretty wild ride!

4 Likes