Seen any good movies lately?

It looks incredibly depressing though, with old people being swindled and rendered powerless by a cruel crook?

Yes - I wasn’t sure I wanted to watch it; my H was a hospice chaplain and my own parents were in assisted living for a couple of years before their deaths less than a couple of years ago.

Kind of reminded me of the movie Parasite - the family in that film was despicable, but you watched to see what horrible thing they were going to do next. Lots of twists and turns.

The United States vs. Billy Holiday–on Hulu. Andra Day, who portrays Billy Holiday, is spectacular. The film focuses on the years before Holiday died and the feds racially motivated undercover sting operation aimed at her.

3 Likes

I’m a huge Billie Holiday fan and really want to see this movie. Unfortunately we don’t have Hulu.

We heard that you can do 1 month free trial of Hulu. We are considering doing so to watch Nomadland but have not yet researched the details.

1 Like

Yeah, we used that up a couple of years ago :laughing:

Yikes - Hulu is $61/month. We’d better be realllllly careful if we try for free trial. Probably we will wait til when/if we get rid o Comcast cable.

What? How is that possible? We pay nothing- it came with Spotify- but I thought it was like $12 a month?

Edited to add, it starts at $5.99 and $11.99 a month for regular Hulu (with/without commercials). The crazy prices are for Hulu plus live tv, which I would never consider because that’s crazy prices.

THANKS for the quick clarification on Hulu pricing. It’s a “new animal” to me. Glad it is in same price range as Netflix / AP.

Just watched The Professor and the Madman on Netflix, on the making of the OED. Story is pretty unbelievable but true, less the artisitic license all “based on true story” movies take.

Quite interesting.

1 Like

Oh! Adult D and I watched Nomadland last night and we both thoroughly appreciated it and enjoyed it. A lot. An incredibly understated story told beautifully. A couple of things we both noticed…first and foremost the book and the screenplay were written by women as well as a woman directed it - screenwriter and director are the same woman! Hooray! Other things we both noticed (and not because we’re prudes, but because we noticed), not one “curse” word, no gratuitous nudity or sex, and no contrived “love” story. Instead of any of those things it felt very real. Afterward we read some show notes via interviews with the director and McDormand, and we loved the film even more! The book is now next on my reading list.

6 Likes

Netflix “Kodachrome”:::::sniffle::::loved it, recommend.

1 Like

“Land” with Robin Wright was very very good.

Watched The Last Vermeer last night. Don’t know where it streams–watched a library DVD. If you’ve been to Amsterdam, it was filmed there and you will see street scenes that will look familiar.

Lest the spoiler police pounce on me again, I will be brief and say little:

— a Dutch artist, Han van Meergeren, is on trial for selling a Vermeer to Goring. Charged with collaborating with the enemy, a firing squad if convicted. He has an interesting defense.

2 Likes

re: I care a lot - it’s not really about the patients - more so about the swindlers and their escapades. I didnt find it depressing. It’s not quite as serious/somber as parasite.

3 Likes

Academy Award nominations for 2021 for Best Picture: The Father, Minari, Nomadland, The Trial of the Chicago Seven, Mank, Promising Young Woman, The Sound of Metal, Judas and the Black Messiah. Which have you seen, if any? Comments?

1 Like

I’ve seen Nomadland, The Trial of the Chicago Seven, Promising Young Woman, The Sound of Metal, Judas and the Black Messiah. Based on that alone, there are some VERY strong movies nominated this year. I hope to see Minari soon, and The Father is the only one I’ve never even heard of. Of the ones I’ve seen, I wouldn’t be able to pick a favorite, honestly. They hit in different ways for me. I think Mank, which I haven’t seen and hadn’t planned to watch, is the most likely winner. It practically screams Oscar bait (based on previews and articles I’ve read).

Edited to add, having googled it- Olivia Coleman is such an amazing actress. I would probably watch it just for her.

Tonight we watched I Care a Lot (Netflix). It was not exactly what we expected, but we still enjoyed a bit of something different. Lots of twists and turns.

1 Like

Tonight’s movie was Kodachrome (Netflix). I thought it was good - thanks for the recommendation @VaBluebird . Hubby thought it was OK, but he did not enjoy it as much as I did.

1 Like

We saw Mank on Netflix last night…H and I both thought it was ok but not amazing or anything.