Seen any good movies lately?

Concrete Cowboy, ***H, ****me. Fascinating part of current history. Not sure if someone mentioned it. Netflix.

I watched that the other day fully enchanted. I grew up around two miles from those stables, in Kensington, and never knew they existed. I find it so fascinating that there was a whole layer of my world that was right beneath my vision of it waiting to be discovered.

3 Likes

I’d enjoy a movie club!!

3 Likes

I would also enjoy a movie club. I love movies and have enjoyed exploring new things I’ve learned about on here!

2 Likes

What do we do? Like, start a thread like for the book club cafe, with “film of the month: …” and we make sure to watch it by the first of that month?
Would CC administrators be ok with that?

2 Likes

That sounds like a good plan! Haha I’m bad at picking movies though, or otherwise would start it! I like the poll idea - just rate it first, before explaining - to see people’s first reactions.

Now that we’re vaccinated, we braved a trip to the local movie theater to see Minari. It was good and I was surprised my husband really enjoyed it. The acting was incredible. The theater was about 20% full, which surprised me, as there was a snowstorm going on. Tickets were only $5, another surprise. We only saw a few masks, as everyone was eating or drinking.

3 Likes

New Downton Abbey movie going to be released Dec. 22. That may be a test of people’s comfort level with going to a movie!!

8 Likes

Promising Young Woman, anyone? Maybe it should be required for all incoming freshmen.

I am so, so late to the party…but just watched “Parasite.” Wow! So thought provoking & incredibly well done! Watched with D & hub and we all were really engaged. Definitely deserved that best picture oscar…

6 Likes

Saw Sinatra on Netflix. It told me a ton more about Sinatra than I ever knew. Mom was riveted!

5 Likes

toledo - so tempted to watch Promising Young Woman but thought it would be upsetting. I’m a chicken!

Promising Young Woman is would be upsetting to anyone who has taken advantage of someone who is drunk/high. It gets you thinking, just like Parasite.

I saw Sound of Metal today. It’s good, too, making you think about being deaf.

@toledo - Good to know. I feel like it would also be upsetting if you have a daughter/dealt with pushy guys in the past - just - ugh. Sound of Metal sounds interesting!

Fellow yogis may enjoy the Netflix documentary, Bikram. It’s a fascinating look into the life of founder Bikram Choudhury. The man behind the practice is/was deeply troubled and not at all like I imagined.

Saw a movie about Dolly Parton. It was verily enjoyable.

I cannot believe it has been 20 years! We saw this on the big screen and really enjoyed it.

Time to dust off our DVD. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Highly recommend, My Octopus Teacher. Stunning cinematography and a beautiful exploration of the depth of relationship possible between species.

5 Likes

@BunsenBurner My girls both loved My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away.

4 Likes

Oops, wrong thread.