Seen any good movies lately?

I watched Come From Away yesterday and also give it a big thumbs up. I had been wanting to see it on Broadway or through touring company for several years, so it was quite a treat to be able to access it on Apple TV.

2 Likes

Saw Come From Away on Broadway and loved it.

3 Likes

Yes! We watched “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” last year and were glad we did.

1 Like

Also watched “Lilies of the Field” and can see why Poitier won best actor.

1 Like

I saw it on Broadway too—it was an amazing show!’ Can you only see the movie on Apple tv?

1 Like

Yes …I believe it is only on Apple.

After a rec from a trusted colleague, my husband and I checked out Palm Springs on Hulu while on vacation. It’s a very different romantic comedy, great if you’ve got a slightly dark sense of humor.

3 Likes

On Netflix thru Sept 20 - Sarah’s Key. It’s a story of a 2009 journalist unraveling a mystery from Holocaust times in Paris. Glad we picked it to watch tonight.

1 Like

Escape to 1915, Cote d azur, Renoir, the movie. Each scene is filled with light, color like his paintings. Prepare for some nudity, ok, for a lot of nudity.

Renoir( 2013) Amazon prime
https://www.amazon.com/Renoir-Michel-Bouquet/dp/B01LYJUZ6T/ref=nodl_

2 Likes

Rewatched Avatar - so good (Avatar 2 coming out next year!!).

1 Like

Loved “Perfect in '76”. “The Gentlemen” is very entertaining too. These are the first two movies we watched on a 2-month free trial of Showtime.

1 Like

H and I watched The Woman Who Wasn’t There on Amazon Prime the other night. Crazy true story (documentary) about a supposed 9/11 survivor. Definitely kept our interest through the whole thing.

1 Like

We watched Nomadland last night, then read more about it to see what was true and what wasn’t (most true, with a made up main character). It’s not a fun, escapism movie, that’s for sure, but we’re glad we watched it. We like wandering, but that’s not our way of wanting to do it.

For fun and escapism we watched the old Chevy Chase movie, Foul Play. Because I hadn’t see it since the late 70s when it came out a bit of it was new again to me! We love watching what was “new” back in the day as well as having fun with the movie itself.

2 Likes

We (re)watched Easy A last night. All these years later it was as witty, well written, and sex positive as I remembered it to be. We do love a good coming of age movie.

2 Likes

Elizabeth Is Missing on PBS with Glenda Jackson. Very emotional and haunting, especially if you have friends or family members touched by dementia. Glenda Jackson is wonderful. Very powerful, poignant performance.

1 Like

I loved the book. Not sure I could watch the movie though I loved Glenda Jackson back in the day.

1 Like

It’s a heartbreaking performance by Glenda Jackson but critics loved it and she won the BAFTA for Elizabeth Is Missing. Since you loved both the book and Glenda Jackson, it might be worth a look.

2 Likes

We spent Saturday evening with our 60-year-old friend with quickly advancing Alzheimer’s. I’m not sure I could watch a whole movie on the subject right now.

Her husband suggested that all four of us take a three-week trip to Europe. Uh, no… :frowning:

Sorry about your friend. My wonderful mother in law spent her last years in a locked memory unit before dying at 91. My mother was heading down the dementia road and I was actually relieved she died at 87 before it totally took over. It’s a terrible thing and the movie shows that. The final scene is haunting . It’s a tough subject but I was glad I watched the movie.

I decided to watch it. It’s good. Amazing acting.

Sorry about your MIL. My mom had moderate dementia. I lost her a couple of years ago. As hard as it was to have her pass away in July, I’m glad she went when she did.

5 Likes