Seen any good movies lately?

If you enjoy this subject matter, catch 14 Peaks on Netflix. Free Solo another great movie if you have not seen that one. It’s on Amazon for rent.

1 Like

Free Solo is also on Disney Plus. We watched it the other day. Great documentary.

1 Like

Brought back a lot of memories. I basically learned English watching television in the early/mid '60’s, with programs like I Love Lucy, Bewitched, and the Beverly Hillbillies (and The Three Stooges when my parents were out).

5 Likes

Thanks, BKSquared & BunsenBurner. Have seen Free Solo (heart-stopping) - The Alpinist was really something - somehow even more impactful. Couldn’t stop thinking about it (it quickly displaced my fascination with Don’t Look Up, which I’d seen shortly before, lol).

3 Likes

I was disappointed that Sorkin left out the best joke Desi ever told. “The only thing red about Lucy is her hair, and that isn’t even real”.

4 Likes

I just watched CODA on Apple TV - a lovely life affirming film. Bring tissues (not a lot, but yes, a few).

4 Likes

DH and I loved “Don’t Look Up.” We thought it was very well done and pertinent.

4 Likes

We’ve got a discussion thread on that if you’re interested.

3 Likes

We watched Lost Daughter last night and loved it. It is based on an Elena Ferrante novel and stars Olivia Coleman and Jessie Buckley. It’s about motherhood and the choices we make.

2 Likes

It’s on my list - I might watch tonight.

Tonight we decided on Encanto (Disney). Very colorful animated movie with Broadway-ish music tunes. We liked it, but my husband a little less so.

1 Like

I saw this about a year ago. My brothers are very into lax so was interested in whether they knew the guy (I don’t think they do).

But a very good movie.

We are enjoying the National Geographic content on Disney Plus! Just finished watching Man. Woman. Dog - highly recommend for dog lovers. Let’s go, goats! :slight_smile: Also watching The Right Stuff (a series about Mercury 7 astronauts).

Just watched The Alpinist tonight. I concur with others who recommended it. I found that I was getting nervous from the shots from above of this guy free climbing on a waterfall with a drop below to certain death if he fell. My BIL used to climb frozen waterfalls. He said, like the subject of the documentary, that he felt completely focused and completely alive when doing it (because he was risking his life every second he was up there). He was photographed in climbers magazines, but adopted daughters from China and was required to give it up as a condition of adoption.

We watched Free Solo a few years ago. Also a gripping documentary.

We are thinking of watching The Courier (I think it is called) starring Benedict Cumberbatch. Has anyone see it?

We also watched Being the Ricardos, which we enjoyed, and the first part of Encanto. ShawWife might have enjoyed Encanto, but I was definitely not enjoying it. I’m not a big musical fan, but there are a few that I have enjoyed including Coco (also a Disney/Pixar animated musical).

4 Likes

We liked The Courier.

5 Likes

Having nothing better to do, I just watched The Matrix Resurrections. One word review: meta. (Assuming I even understand what meta means.)

I kinda sorta remember most of Matrix 1, very little from Matrix 2, and essentially nothing from Matrix 3. So I didn’t really connect some of the dots (lots of dots :wink:). I believe the message was love conquers all but doesn’t it always?

Too much bang bang boom boom etc. for my taste but I did watch it through since I was home and it was free. Really enjoyed Neil Patrick Harris - and his cat. Also think Trinity aged better than Neo :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

1 Like

Not going to read the rest of your review, but not remembering the original movies that well, we are rewatching them now. First one is still amazing. Still feels remarkably fresh. I do love Carrie-Anne Moss (loved her both The Humans and Jessica Jones) Second one, has some amazing fight choreography, and some very funny lines, but feels overlong for not much payoff. We’ll probably watch the third one tonight.

1 Like

Okay now I’ve seen the final one. Yes Trinity still looks fabulous. Keanu looks yucky with and without the beard. Neil Patrick Harris and his cat were great. I enjoyed the movie, but all of them have too much fighting for me. I think the choreography was most interesting in the second one. I was happy to have seen it and to have an excuse to rewatch them all. Unlike some older sci fi, I think they’ve aged very well.

3 Likes

Did you watch to the post credits?

Yes, my husband always, always does, unless my kids swear there know there isn’t anything!