Seen any good movies lately?

Those who enjoyed The Tender Bar, may find this article interesting, JR has been selected by Prince Harry to ghost write his autobiography.

2 Likes

I had a few minutes to kill before the evening news last night, so decided to watch a couple of animated Pixar shorts. Oh my… get tissues ready if you decide to watch Kitbull.

1 Like

Picabo street / documentary shown on Peacock Lindsey Vonn coproduced the Picabo bio, and plays a large part in the movie.
Highly recommend

Blockquote

2 Likes

DH and I streamed the movie I’m Your Man (Ich Bin Dein Mensch) this past weekend on Hulu and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s described as a sci-fi rom-com, but I found it to be less funny and more poignant than that description implies. It’s in German and stars Dan Stevens (from Downton Abbey fame) as an android that’s being tested as a scientist’s perfect life partner. Really sweet and thought-provoking and it surprised me that Dan Stevens spoke fluent German!

2 Likes

I saw “The Matrix.” I wish I could take the blue pill so I could wake up in my bed and forget I ever saw that. On the plus side, it might make a good Hallmark Original.

2 Likes

NETFLIX: The Foreigner (Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan) was really engaging and plenty of twists. The actors are playing very different rolls for them. Done in 2017.

3 Likes

We watched Moonfall in the theater last night. Most notable part was we had a private viewing! Nobody else showed up! I kept expecting someone to come in at the last minute. H and I both enjoyed it for what it was. A fun, but at times over dramatic and non believable the world is ending movie. It had an interesting spin on the creation of life on Earth. A nice fun evening out for us.

Last weekend we watched Nightmare Alley on HBOmax. H liked it a lot. I was so-so about it. Old time carnivals creep me out. It got better for me in the middle and I liked the ending.

3 Likes

We watched Benedict Cumberbatch in The Courier. It’s based on a true story about a British businessman who’s recruited by British and US intelligence. He’s acting as a messenger as the Cuban missle crises is playing out. If you like spy stories, this one is for you. It’s on Netflix.

7 Likes

I really liked it. Chan did a great job in a serious role after spending most of his career doing martial arts/slapstick comedies. Brosnan played a good bad guy too.

1 Like

We watched Spencer this weekend - not what I expected. I guess I didn’t read the description it was a “psychological drama.” It was interesting to see Diana’s fashions.

We saw King Richard this weekend – about Venus and Serena Williams father. Pretty interesting and entertaining.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! We watched it yesterday, on Valentine’s Day. We enjoyed it, too. We thought the ending was a little abrupt, but other than that it was good. Dan Stevens did an amazing job.

We are currently watching “Together,” with Sharon Horgan and James McAvoy. I’m big fans of both these actors (if you haven’t seen Horgan in “Catastrophe,” you should give it a try). We like it, but I’m sure some people won’t! It’s about a married British couple stuck at home during the UK COVID lockdown. Just the filming is amazing - each long scene has no camera cuts or edits. Their humor is biting, to say the least, but we like it.

MTA: We finished watching “Together” last night. Wow, it turns from very funny to very serious. Really a different kind of movie.

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned “Try Harder!”? It’s about the top public high school in San Francisco. Most of the students are Asian and the movie highlights the pressure that the students are under when it comes to academics and getting into college. The students starting out as freshmen aspire to Harvard and Stanford, and by the end of the movie they’re just hoping to get into a decent UC.

The Feb. 15 recall of three members of the SF school board got me thinking about the movie. (Only three of the seven members were eligible for recall. Voters would have recalled all of them if allowed to.) Changing the admissions policy of Lowell from merit-based to a lottery for purposes of diversity riled up a lot of people and is one of the many reasons a recall was initiated. I believe Lowell goes back to merit-based admissions next year.

1 Like

There were two Lowell grads across the hall from me in the dorms when I was in college. They were both pre-med electrical engineering majors. They said engineering was their back up plan.

Looks like this film will be shown on PBS in May as part of the Independent Lens series.

1 Like

I’ve been following the Lowell story and I haven’t read anything saying that they were going back to a merit-based admissions. The last I heard, it was actually the opposite. Can you point me to where you saw this?

This is the best I can do. A judge had overturned the lottery selection process, although by the time he did it, it was too late to have it apply to the current year. I am pretty sure that the school board will return to merit-based next year, since going to a lottery was one of the main issues that got the three school board members recalled by very substantial margins. Over 70% of voters wanted all three school board members recalled.

1 Like

We saw Dog last night. I loved it. Funny, serious, sweet, tear jerker all in one. Only 1:45 minutes which I prefer.

We did see it in the theater Friday night. Big step for me, but younger S (with GF) asked if we would go. Had it been a long movie, I would have passed. More crowded than I’m used to, but still not crowded by most standards. 8 others in our front section. Back section had more but I didn’t count. 20 or so I’d say.

But back to the movie, very highly recommended! I’ll probably watch it again once it’s out on Netflix.

2 Likes

Just read about an upcoming Netflix movie in AARP magazine that has promise. Operation Mincemeat. Johnny Flynn as Ian Fleming and Colin Firth (as someone else!) star as British intelligence officers who use a missing-body a ruse from a murder mystery to fool the Germans during WWII. Based on a true story. Being released in the spring.

3 Likes

I had a completely different response to Dog. I watched it on Netflix and hated every minute of it. For me it was dark and depressing from beginning to end. I really expected to like it–I’m a huge fan of Benedict Cumberbatch and Jane Campion (writer and director). I actually watched it twice because I wasn’t sure about something (won’t say more–spoiler). Second time around, I appreciated how Campion structured the movie but didn’t like it any better. Dark movies usually don’t bother me.

1 Like

This is a different movie! It’s not The Power of the Dog. It’s just called Dog.

It’s with Channing Tatum and it’s about soldiers (and a dog) who were injured in combat and discharged. One of the soldiers died (suicide) and the family wants the dog to be at the funeral. But the dog has severe PTSD and Channing Tatum has to drive her 1500 miles to the funeral.

3 Likes