Seen any good movies lately?

Really intense. Great story and acting. Found on Amazon Prime.

My husband and I both really liked “The Courier”. We often have to compromise toward preference of one of us, but not that night.

6 Likes

Watched on Amazon Prime the 2018 film 11/9 with Micheal Moore. Both H and I did not get the point. Not sure I would recommend it.

H and I watched Licorice Pizza, which I generally enjoyed. It’s a coming of age story set in the 70s. The plot involves a precocious 15-year-old entrepreneur who is wooing a 25-year-old photographer’s assistant, which seems unbelievable, but works in this movie. Won’t say more–don’t want to spoil it. We also watched Nighmare Alley. The story revolves around carnival performers who come up with a scheme to make it big. Bradley Cooper is the lead character and Rooney Mara is his love interest–both were great. Cate Blanchette plays a weird psychiatrist who gets involved with Cooper. I thought it was an interesting film; it’s definitely darker than Licorice Pizza.

1 Like

My son and I saw “Dog” today. We both liked it. From the description, I was afraid it was going to be syrupy sweet, but it wasn’t. The scene at the funeral had me in tears, though.

I watched and enjoyed Uncle Frank (Amazon Prime).

1 Like

Is Licorice Pizza streaming?

We watched it on Amazon Prime. You have to pay extra for it.

1 Like

Ok, thank you!

1 Like

LOTS of movies on this Prime list for March. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Have we talked about the new West Side Story?

I am generally not a fan of remakes or change for change’s sake, but I think Spielberg’s version is great. All of the changes are in service to the story. He had great source material - the score and lyrics are outstanding IMHO.

As usual I was sobbing at the last scene, which happens any time I see it on screen or stage. I thought the actress playing Maria could really sing, she looked more like the age of Maria. Ariana DeBose was amazing, the actor playing Bernardo was great. All around it was a wonderful film.

We loved Belfast too. Very poignant, very well done. The child actor was unbelievable.

1 Like

If you watched “Ghostbusters” several hundred times as we did when our sons were young, you will enjoy “Ghostbusters: Afterlife”.

3 Likes

If your kids are at an age where they LOVED “Ghostbusters” when they were young, and you watched it with them, perhaps many times ! :grin:, then you’ll enjoy “Ghostbusters Afterlife”.

We just watched Pixar’s “Turning Red” with D22 tonight. We all enjoyed it. Some catchy tunes too.

Thanks for your post. We had West Side Story on our list, and last night we had the right time and mood. We both really liked it.

Since it was a day with late lunch / late dinner, we decided to take an intermission for dinner break. That was nice because we were able to talk about it even more so than we did on the couch (a perk for watching from home). Later I found this interesting article - 21 Differences Between Steven Spielberg's West Side Story And The Original

1 Like

Finally watched West Side Story since it’s now on Disney+ and I didn’t care for it. Among other things, most of the actors looked too old for their roles and there was this odd dissonance between the movie looking like a musical at times with color-coordinated clothing during the dance sequences and artificial/fake looking street sets and the overall gritty sweatiness of the actors since the general trend seems to be to inject more realism even if it doesn’t add anything to the movie.

The movie is lacking the overall cohesion and atmosphere of the original. For example, I missed Bernardo’s suaveness and sharp dress, the charm of the dress-shop scene with Tony and Maria.

It is an unnecessary remake.

2 Likes

Excellent movie “The Last Duel”. Highly recommend.

oh the movie CODA was just lovely! thank you thank you for that rec!!

3 Likes

We watched Uncharted at the theater yesterday - only 3 others in the showing along with H and I, so it was our type of “crowd.”

The movie, however, was rather “eh.” It’s the exact same genre as Red Notice, but Red Notice was far better for our tastes. We also liked Moonfall better (last week’s movie we watched), though Red Notice easily beat both for our preferences. If we had to give it stars, we’d probably do 3 out of 5. It wasn’t awful, but we prefer it when we leave a theater talking about how fun or great something was rather than, “it was ok, but…”

We really enjoyed Red Notice (Netflix)… fun film. They seemed to set themselves up for a sequel - hope so.

4 Likes