Seen any good movies lately?

We hope so too. That was a very cute movie and we love Dwayne Johnson. When we finished watching Red Notice we immediately contacted our “kids” suggesting they watch it too - and they loved it. With Uncharted, we didn’t feel the need. It was still a fun date for the two of us at least. We’ve seen worse movies - War of the Worlds II still tops our list of worst movies we watched to the end. There are others we turned off when it became apparent they weren’t something we cared for.

2 Likes

H and I liked The Protege (2021) on Amazon Prime, especially Maggie Q. I read about the influence Jackie Chan had on her early in her life and you can definitely see that in the movie.

I enjoyed Lily Topples the World on Discovery +. Kinda makes me want to set up some dominoes. But I’d rather watch her do it.

1 Like

If anyone goes to watch The Lost City this weekend, please post what you thought about it. It looks fun, but one never knows if the best parts are in the trailer.

1 Like

My (adult) D and I watched Turning Red on Disney+ the other night - I really liked the first 2/3s of it, but wished they’d done something different with the final 1/3 - no spoilers, but I was very surprised. I hadn’t looked it up first so I wasn’t aware.

I never would have understood The Power of the Dog if I had not literally searched for “what the heck” information. LOL.
Great twist, though, but I don’t know that I would have figured it out on my own.

I haven’t watched Power of the Dog, but have had conversations with people who have, and I think you might enjoy this article. A complicated movie Power of the Dog ending explained and analyzed: Two critics debate the Netflix movie’s twist.

1 Like

We watched I Want You Back last night on Amazon prime. Fun romcom. It was a nice surprise.

Watched the new West Side Story last night–I didn’t really want to watch, but H did. I loved the dancing and the music and thought the actor who played Anita was excellent. Also, Rita Moreno (who was in the original 60 years ago) had a part. She is 90 and truly amazing.

7 Likes

Watched Turning Red with my husband. He was hesitant at first… giant panda? Sounds boring… then, as it always happens with Pixar movies, he got hooked. :slight_smile: The movie was incredibly sweet. Highly recommend for moms whose daughters turned teens around Y2K. :slight_smile: Even non-tigermoms will be able to relate.

4 Likes

H and I continue watching films nominated for best film in 2022. Last night we saw Dune. It was visually stunning. I have not read Frank Hebert’s novel, on which the movie is based. There’s intrigue and betrayal, but I’m not sure I followed everything. I feel like I should read the book and then watch the movie again.

It’s pretty faithful to the book, or at least the first half of the book! I reread the book after the movie and sort of feel like I could see the movie again!

1 Like

We watched CODA (Apple, Best Film Oscar) tonight and really enjoyed it.

8 Likes

“Dune” is an awesome book. I loved it as a kid. I bought it for my 26-year-old son at Christmas. Herbert did such an incredible job creating an entire universe! I just looked him up - I didn’t realize he died of complications from surgery for pancreatic cancer when he was only 65. :frowning:

H and I just returned from watching The Lost City. It was really, really cute with some unexpected moments, so while it’s the same genre as Red Notice, The Jungle Cruise, and Uncharted, it was still quite fun, not just a repeat. We put it up there right alongside Red Notice for its “fun entertainment” factor. Stay beyond the beginning of the credits to see it all.

Quite honestly, it’s the type of movie I love to watch - not a ton of sex or foul language (not “none” either if anyone cares more) - but just a fun story to follow along with, part comedy and part adventure. Like all of these movies, there are a gazillion Mythbuster moments, but I don’t mind those.

It was quite the enjoyable Monday afternoon date for us - only 8 others in a large theater, so no real risk of catching anything either by choosing Monday afternoon where we live. Our lives are more in danger because we bought the hot dog, fries, and Coke along with our popcorn this time to make it an early “dinner date.”

No supper to make now nor clean up after. Who could ask for anything more? :sunglasses:

11 Likes

I was going to post the same thing. We saw it last night. There were also 8 people in the theater. We enjoyed it very much. Fun movie and your review was spot on.

1 Like

We went to see Everything Everywhere All At Once tonight, and were absolutely blown away. It was one of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

6 Likes

I just googled this one and watched the trailer - looks awesome. It’s not playing around us yet, but hopefully will be sometime after Easter. It’s definitely on our list to go see. Thanks for mentioning it!

Interestingly enough, Box Office Mojo said it was only in 38 theaters and is already the 42nd highest grossing movie of 2022. That stands out with so few theaters. You have to drop down to 64th to find another double digit theater release and that one has 63 theaters. All others between the two have hundreds or thousands. This was as of my typing, so if looking at my link later, numbers could change, of course!

Hopefully it will get into more soon. I plan to call our theater later today to see if it’s coming. If not, perhaps asking will be able to get it on their list. Otherwise, we’ll travel to find it.

1 Like

I watched The Adam Project on Netflix a few days ago. I loved it. Ryan Reynolds is my new favorite actor. I also loved him in Red Notice. The Adam Project also has Mark Ruffalo and Zoe Saldana. It borrows a lot of plot points from iconic action and sci fi movies and pulls it together with Reynolds’ comedic acting.

2 Likes

I thought the kid actor was great, and my whole family agreed that he was a good resemblance to RR in terms of facial structure. The movie was a kind of hilarious knockoff of a Marvel film, but entertaining for sure.

1 Like