Seen any good movies lately?

We have tickets to see Lost City this Saturday. It is good to read a positive review.

1 Like

I watched the first 20 minutes of Matrix Resurrections so you don’t have to. Don’t see it. Don’t do it. Just walk away.

The first Matrix was terrific - creative, original, mind-blowing. The second and third were action for action sake, sacrificing plot and character development. Resurrections was even worse than Matrix 2 & 3.

On a brighter note, I just watched Blade Hunter 2049 again, and it has aged well (ok, it’s only five years old). The cinematography is amazing and the plot is even more interesting than the original Blade Runner. All the acting is top notch with kudos to Robin Wright and Ryan Gosling. Even wrestler turned actor, Dave Bautista turns in a strong - albeit short - performance. If you like sci-fi and have not seen it yet, I recommend it.

4 Likes

Two nice surprises.

I Want You Back - I think on Netflix or Amazon prime. RomCom with Charlie Day. About two people who were dumped by their significant others and band together to try to get them back. Very sweet and funny.

antlers on HBOmax. We saw this because Death on the Nile wasn’t loading and we were grumbly and said “oh just watch that.” Expected nothing. Actually was pretty good. Suspense/horror but not slasher horror. Keri Russel/Jesse Plemmons. Something bad/supernatural is in an oregon town. A poor kid has to survive taking care of his messed up family, and it’s up to a teacher/her brother (local sheriff) to save the day or not. Hard to say much more without giving it away.

2 Likes

I loved Bladerunner 2049 too and didn’t understand why it did not do well at the box office. It was so beautifully done and did a fantastic job carrying on and honoring the original Bladerunner film while forging its own unique story. This is in contrast to something like the latest Star Wars trilogy which tried to honor the original by just recreating the movie over again with different characters.

I ended up having to use RC Theater’s “Contact Us” form because calling just got me a recording and looking all over their site didn’t have Everything, Everywhere, All at Once even as a footnote anyway.

I just got a response back telling me they’ll be opening it this Friday. It’s still not on their website, but perhaps folks like me asking for it got them to hustle and add it to their plan, esp since Box Office Mojo now has it #6 with a rapid rise as it moved into more theaters.

Thanks again for suggesting it. We won’t be seeing it this weekend due to being at FIL’s for Easter, but the week afterward is my target I think.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I thought I would have seen more than 28 of the 50, but I have seen the top eight at least.

I have seen 43 of the 50. I guess my rom-com love is showing!

3 Likes

I’ve seen at least 23 of them. For some of the other titles, it’s a maybe.

I’ve seen 42 of the 50.

1 Like

I’ve seen almost all of them, too. DH and I watched Pretty Woman several weeks ago just to see if it held up. It does, it does.

6 Likes

I’ve only seen three of them:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (loved)
Groundhog Day (loved)
The Princess Bride (not my movie)

I suppose that means it’s not really my genre, because looking at the titles I didn’t see any I wanted to see either.

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once is tentatively on our calendar for Monday’s “date afternoon.” I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I saw lots of them, but not 40+. I really like The Holiday, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones Diary,and Pretty Woman(and some of the others), and have watched them again if they come up on TV. There are ones I would like to see again, like Silver Linings Playbook, Crazy Rich Asians. These kinds of movies tend to be often times pretty predictable, but still enjoyable!

1 Like

Iveseen maybe 10-15 of them.

I counted 31 but I may have seen a couple of others. Saw Clueless, Pretty Woman, The Holiday, and Sleepless in Seattle multiple times.

1 Like

My favorites are all on that list. I’ve seen 40+ on the list over the years, and my favorites, many times over.

4 Likes

I’ve seen like 28 of them and liked only a handful- maybe 4. It really isn’t my genre though. I saw everything everywhere all at once again (convinced my husband to see it) and loved it just as much the second time. We also saw the Northman. It was brutal and sometimes hard to watch, but the cinematography was top notch.

1 Like

11 for me. Did not “get” The Princess Bride (but understand why some think it is a cult movie :slight_smile: ). Had to have Sleepless in Seattle on tape then on Blu-ray. Wonder why… lol.

2 Likes

“As you wiiiiiissssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh”

2 Likes

On a very different note, we just saw Tenet. It was a very original concept with terrific acting from a great cast (Dimple Kapadia, Kenneth Branagh, John Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, and a cameo by Michael Caine). My brain hurts when I watch any movie about time travel, however, so I had a terrible time following the complicated plot about time running backward for select people or objects. This is the kind of movie I would need to watch several times before I really understood everything that happened.

4 Likes