Seen any good movies lately?

^ great scenes of Paris in the MI film.

I heard Tom Cruise broke his foot doing one of the stunts, ouch. I kind of guessed what would happen in MI6 but was still at the edge of my seat most of the time, and the action scenes were outlandishly crazy, very fun.

Loved, Loved Loved Crazy Rich Asians and Constance Wu. I’m a sucker for romance. On the plane to SF, loved Paddington 2 and found Miss Pergrine’s Curious Children too wierd, also did not like Red Sapparow, too violent.

We just watched a Redbox DVD of American Animals and found it fascinating.

I guess I’m on a teen movie roll…if you like the actor from To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, there’s another Netflix movie with Noah Centineo as one of the leads. It’s a stereotypical (think surfing, filming, music, art and lucid dreaming) So Cal themed movie but I really enjoyed it. Four artsy youngsters housesit Keanu Reeves’ Malibu home for a summer and in the end they find the paths they were meant to be on. Loved the music, the scenery and the cameos.

Late to the party, but H and I have spent evenings during the summer off and on watching almost all the MCU movies with our S as the guide. Got way too invested, much more than I would have guessed. Just got caught up to Infinity War tonight. Whoa!

I did not have any idea before this summer of all the intertwining plots and characters–really hadn’t been paying attention at all to these movies. And now I’m obsessed. Did NOT see that coming.

On another note, have not seen CRA. Read the first book a while back and thought it was cute but not really very deep. Got so tired of all the wealth, brandnames, etc. Main characters were likable enough. I’ll get around to reading the sequels probably. But again, so sick of clothing descriptions!

Garland, you will not be overwhelmed by brand names in the movie! Sure, there are some like the universally recognized LV checkered luggage and a hint of Coco’s signature chain bag straps, but the most prominent logos I’ve seen were Audi and Kate Spade in its typical small print (because I could recognize the latter from he shape of the bag, LOL). Come on… a rich lawyer with a Kate Spade bag?! Nonsense.

Brands aside, the depth is definitely not there. It is a nice, cute, adorable, funny summer bubble gum for the brain kind of a movie. Sleepless in Seattle kind of a movie. :slight_smile:

As a favor to DH, I accompanied him to Mission Impossible Fallout this week. He thought he might need a little help in following the plot. Ha! I had no clue what was going on for most of the movie. ! haven’t seen any of the other MI movies (though I was a loyal fan of the old TV show) and don’t normally like action flicks, so I admit I’m no one to judge, but gee this was awful–and endless. Plot aside, the dialogue was hilariously bad (to the point that I actually laughed out loud at some lines–how did Angela Bassett keep a straight face?), the interminable car, motorcycle, helicopter and foot chases were tedious, and I couldn’t care less whether Cruise or a double did the stunts–why would something like that affect the quality of a film one way or the other? I actually think it’s kind of sad that Cruise is trying so hard to hold on to his youth by doing stunts. Wonder what nubile twenty-something Scientologist he’s trying to impress these days?

Anyway, if you really like this sort of thing, I imagine you’ll like the movie. Otherwise, stay far away, no matter what your husband says.

Agree about the dialogue and reaction.
But the scenes of Paris…

My husband and I saw Crazy Rich Asians. We don’t go out to see movies often. We’re usually content to wait until we can see it for free. However we made an exception, because we had a few days of high temps and humidity and we were curious about all the hype.

Well, we’re with the group who really enjoyed it. Sometimes life is so filled with drama that a light, romantic comedy is a welcome diversion.

It was a fun movie. I didn’t stress about stereotypes. I didn’t over-think the plot or the characters. I wasn’t there to critique it. We just wanted to escape the heat and be entertained for a couple of hours.

Oh and one more thing, let’s not forget that Julia Roberts was nominated for an Academy Award for Pretty Woman…maybe Awkwafina, for supporting actress?

If I were nominating, I would definitely nominate Awkwafina! :slight_smile: She was stellar.

Really enjoyed Puzzle. Didn’t have high expectations going in, but I was pleasantly surprised.

@CALSmom: what’s the title of the film you mentioned in #1665? :slight_smile:

First Reformed was excellent.

I sincerely hope not!

@MYOS1634 oh lol I forgot to include the title! It’s called SPF 18. It’s a quirky film, kinda reminds me of a low key John Hughes type of movie (same with The Kissing Booth).

Finally saw BlacKKKlansman. Very good movie. Great acting. It was no Do The Right Thing, however, which I still think is Spike Lee’s best movie. If I didn’t know Topher Grace was in the movie, I don’t think I would have recognized him. One issue that bothered me was it certainly did not look like Colorado Springs (probably because it wasn’t :slight_smile: ).

I know some posters mentioned swearing. I didn’t notice an extreme amount of swearing. What little there took place was fitting and not gratuitous, IMO.

Did a fun overnight to Nashville to spend some time with D while SIL was out of town. We went to see CRA yesterday afternoon and we both really liked it. She had just finished the book the day before and told me about some of the differences. She had been hoping for more exploration of Astrid’s story, particularly in Hong Kong, as she & SIL spent part of their honeymoon there. We’re both hoping for a sequel and D is planning to read the other books. I may make them a winter treat for me later this year. I can imagine seeing this movie again in the future and it becoming one of those that I stop on the channel to watch the remainder of when I find it during my channel flipping.

Based on the Nick Hornby novel, Juliet Naked was enjoyable. Great chemistry among the three leads.