Seen any good movies lately?

^gotcha and I think I"ll check it out. Thanks!!

DH, DS, and I went to see Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse last night. I highly recommend it even if you’re not a Marvel fan if you like phenomenal and innovative animation - absolutely riveting. DS was enthralled, I was thoroughly entertained, and DH was…often confused, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

D2 and I saw “Vice” this afternoon. The acting was great, particularly Christian Bale. I highly recommend it.

Saw “On the Basis of Sex” (the Ruth Bader Ginsburg movie). Excellent film-- and a special personal enjoyment-- they did a small bit related to Camp Che-Na-wah (and the Boys camp, Camp Baco), camps owned by family friends of my late mom, where my mom went as a kid and where Ruth Bader was a camper when my mom was a counselor! That was a nice surprise!

We saw Vice yesterday. Enjoyed it but we felt it flipped around so much with regard to the time sequence that we found it distracting. I also felt it tried to be somewhat ‘artsy’ and that, too, was distracting. Learned a lot and really glad I saw it but I think it could have been done a bit better.

“Allied” from 2016, Brad Pitt, Marion Cotillard; really, really good.

Finally had Green Book move into our area so two lads, H, and I went to watch both Aquaman and Green Book today.

Aquaman is definitely not my genre, but two of the three others really liked it with the third (one of the lads) saying it was so-so and then adding he’s like me in not really preferring superhero movies overall.

All of us really liked Green Book - actually - “loved” is the word my lads used when I asked them what they thought of it. It was also neat seeing that they pretty much stuck to the real story when we researched it afterward (not wanting spoilers by researching it first).

I had a bet with youngest lad that he would be the youngest in the theater. I almost won, but a group with some younger teens came in right as it was about to start, so I lost. However, that group sat right behind us allowing us to overhear what they said afterward. They loved it too… and were going to look up more about the movie too. It’s really nice seeing the love span the generations. Hopefully their generation can continue to correct some of the wrongs of those who have gone before.

At D’s request, I tried to watch Bird Box last night. I made it about 45 minutes in, but it was just too intense for me. And I was disappointed in The Favourite. I found the preview very funny, but the movie not all that humorous, and the bizarre soundtrack was making me crazy. I’m hoping to discover some better movies in 2019!

D and I, big Disney fans, went to see Mary Poppins Returns yesterday. It was good, not great, but there were a couple of surprises I wasn’t aware of. Def worth taking kids too, it was fun listening to the various comments from littles, one saying “I wish I had a balloon” which you’ll understand if you see the movie. Another little girl started crying when she realized the Mom had died, sweet. Normally any talking drives me crazy at the movies but the few comments made were just “blurted out” and I’m sure unintentional.

“Netflix said Friday its latest original film Bird Box has been viewed by more than 45 million accounts — or almost a third of its global subscriber base — in just the first week. It’s the strongest opening week for a Netflix original film to date” according to an article posted on CNBC.

I watched “Bird Box” last night and enjoyed it. Thankfully I didn’t read the critics before watching! I find myself disagreeing with a lot of the movie reviews. Maybe I’m just not as discriminating as others. :slight_smile:

I thought Green Book was the best film that I have seen in a long time, so well done, the chemistry between Viggo and Mahersala was outstanding and an important true story beautifully told. I also enjoyed Mary Queen of Scots, beautifully filmed and well acted. I think if you didn’t understand some of British history, you might find it confusing. Haven’t yet seen Roma or Vice but next up on my list. The audience for both Green Book and Mary Queen of Scots definitely skewed older.

I like Sandra Bullock but Bird Box doesn’t look good IMHO. I’m sure we’ll watch it but 7 episodes in on Narcos Mexico and must watch another episode tonight! Hope to see Vice at the movies before New Years.

Having seen two trailers of Green Book, I’m intrigued. It does look like an excellent film and I will try to view it.

We watched Bird Box last night. It was very intense.

movies i’ve seen lately:
birdbox (7.5/10) — it lives up to the hype. pretty darn good. i recommend it.
dumplin’ (5.5/10) — i was very disappointed with this movie… maybe it’s because i’m from the part of tennessee where dolly parton grew up and am trying to escape it, but the movie just annoyed me more than anything, especially the actors’ overemphasized and butchered country accents. however, the overall message is good.
the witch (8/10) — this film is so, so dreadful and quite disturbing with a nice underlying message about faith… i loved it.
hereditary (10/10) — this movie is everything a horror movie should be. toni collete absolutely killed her performance (no pun intended), as did alex wolff (which was an incredible surprise as i remembered him solely from his “naked brothers band” glory days). my mouth was agape—i kid you not—the entire movie. the first twenty-thirty minutes are fairly tame, but after that, stuff hits the fan, bro. it gets crazy. i wouldn’t be surprised if toni collete receives an oscar nomination for her performance.

not a movie but something you should watch anyway:
the haunting of hill house (10/10) — ugh. this show was so good. i laughed. i cried. i got angry. i got scared. everything. it’s beautiful. please, please watch it.

Thanks @kalons we have similar tastes I think. I almost watched The Haunting of Hill House last night, I’ll put it on my list with your recommendation.

22July was a decent enough movie about the terror attack in Norway. I didn’t previously know of the attack but I will say that I was very upset about the very liberal legal system.

Horror movies are definitely not my genre. The most “horror” I want come from shows like Little Shop of Horrors. :wink:

I like clean(ish) comedy, some adventure, some sci fi, some dramas, and history when it’s about events I don’t know much about already. I’ll freely admit I’m rather picky and I especially avoid most movies with a lot of language I don’t care to hear (some is ok). I could definitely never be a movie critic or rater watching everything. I fall asleep in anything that doesn’t keep my interest. I get bored easily I suppose.

A couple days ago NBC’s morning newscasters were talking about the most influential movie for them (personally). Reflecting for myself I come up with The Killing Fields. I saw it with my friends as a teen and for some reason made the connection with that film about real life and things that happen vs just my bubble of life. It’s part of what set my course for wanting to do as much good for others as possible.

Do others want to list their single most influential movie for their lives (at least that you can come up with at this point)? No pressure, but 'tis interesting to have heard other’s.

LOVED Hill House - I hear there’s a possibility for another season.

I really want to see Hereditary, too. Thanks for the reviews, @kalons

I would love to see Bird Box, but I hate being scared out of my seat. I do like the Walking Dead, though. And scary movies like The Sixth Sense. Where does this movie fall in scariness?

Love, Gilda–a documentary based on the life of Gilda Radner was released this month. I highly recommend it–I saw it at a film festival this summer and thought it was excellent. The film details her life and struggle with cancer–lots of clips of her performing. My kids (late 20s-early-30s) didn’t really know who she was, but loved the film as well. If you were a Gilda fan you’ll really like this.