Select Waitlist

<p>Nygiantzrock: </p>

<p>I think the President of Geneseo said it best:</p>

<p>Geneseo president Christopher Dahl firmly believes "there's no reason why the state of New York shouldn't offer its residents the same education that would cost $45,000 to $50,000 at a private school. It's elitist to argue that state residents shouldn't have access to an outstanding education at a reasonable price."</p>

<p>Geneseo and SUNY Binghamton are good places and it is wonderful that NYS has these institutions. Likewise in other states - FSU, UNC Chapel Hill, UC Berkely etc. there are more selective state subsidized schools. I decided not to go to either SUNY because their only financial aid was parent plus loans and these places are going be underfunded with the state budget troubles. Even SUNY Albany with the $4K Presidential Scholarship wasn't as good a package. What Geneseo doesn't need to to do is take advantage of an economic downturn to boost it's selectivity stats and prestige perception. </p>

<p>It is a tough spot to be in - upper middle income, lots of home equity, land holdings, etc. and other similiar situations that can make you ineligible for a lot of need based aid. I wouldn't want to go in the hole that much either. </p>

<p>BTW my financial package was not just needs based - included 10000 per year endowed scholarship.</p>

<p>Oh, sorry for assuming it was all need based. Congratulations for you and your brother for getting in both those good schools (I got rejected to both). I didn't mean to attack you, but financial aid is just frustrating to me. Both me and my friend applied to Hamilton College and he got in while I got rejected. He had a lower sat, worse gpa rank, and about the same extracurriculars. I'm convinced that he got in solely because of lacrosse even though hamilton is D3 and he's not that good. His mom doesn't work so he only has to pay roughly $3000-$4500 a year at a college that is $45,000 for the normal student. So, basically after four years he is only $12000 in the hole and I will be $75,000-$100,000 in debt. This difference is simply because his mother doesn't have the initiative to get a job, doesn't make sense.</p>

<p>Btw he got an 1100 on his sats and hamiltons average is 1350.. I guess he makes up the 1% that doesn't have an sat verbal score over 500, I'm still scratching my head as to how he got in....</p>

<p>I will stop talking about this since it has absolutely no relation to the forum topic,,</p>

<p>Sean256 congratulations on getting off the waitlist. I too am on the waitlist and live on long island. I visited the campus and fell in love with the school. I am praying that i am taken off of the waitlist. Did anyone from long island get off the waitlist and do i still have a chance. I thought they told us that they notify students by may 15th. I am happy you got off the list and I hope I will too.</p>