Selecting Engineering Discipline

My understanding is that in coming Freshman are accepted into Engineering but not a specific discipline. After your first or second semester you apply to the discipline you want. I would assume that GPA is used for allocating into the different disciplines. Looking for comments on how difficult it is to get into Petroleum or Chemical Engineering.

For the previous year petroleum was harder to get into than chemical. I would expect them to limit entries into petroleum even more in the upcoming year due to the current state of the oil industry. And yes GPA is one of the top factors in their decision but not the only factor.

I’m confused about this too. I put computer engineering as my 1st Choice and computer science as my 2nd. I changed my mind at my NSC and registered for computer science classes because I’m pretty sure I don’t want to do any other engineering discipline.
So what’s the purpose of choosing 2 disciplines then? Just to estimate how many will be in each major?

TAMU asks for 2 majors in case your first choice if full. If your 2nd choice is full, you will be asked to choose a major that still has openings. That is why it is important to apply early.

@patstar5. Just to be clear, the original question was about applying to a specific engineering major during the second term of freshman year. Freshman year, everyone is a general engineering major.

I think that you are asking about registering for freshman year classes. You should check with an advisor to be sure that you will take the freshman classes you need to be admitted. I think that @inspiration12 is also talking about applying to TAMU, versus applying to the Engineering major, where there are several opportunities to apply.

https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2015-admission-cycle

This is what you’re looking for. @kldat1

@ravishingrick thank you for the information. Very helpful.

Just to be clear, that information was only for the first round of admissions (“The next round of the entry-to-a-major process opens on May 20, 2015.”)