Self-Identifying Race Question, not sure what to do

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I have a friend on vacation who asked me to help her out with this. She's unsure on what to put on the race section for Ivy-type schools and is afraid of a rescind.</p>

<p>Basically: she has a single-mother who is of Asian descent and gave birth to her from sperm from a sperm-bank. For the most part, she has been self-identifying as Asian (due to the Asian surname of her mother), but the mother is unsure on the race of the donor, and thinks it's either white, latino, or both. If so, my friend would be half Asian and either half Hispanic or half hispanic/white mix.</p>

<p>My friend already submitted to a couple Ivy type schools Early and was deferred. She's wondering if she should include Latino on her application to future schools to help in the admissions process. I told her that that seems disingenuous, but if she really was born from a hispanic donor, it's completely truthful. The problem is, the mother has no documentation of the racial make-up and doesn't remember.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any advice? If my friend put down Asian AND Hispanic, would there be any risk of a rescind if the college found out the donor was ONLY half white? Is this heritage (got her hispanic side from sperm-donor) something that should be elaborated on in the additional info section? Do colleges communicate and would therefore see that she put different races between the early and regular apps?</p>

<p>Sorry for the barrage of questions, it's just that her situation seems like something pretty unusual. My bet is to just to keep it the same — only Asian — but the deferrals breed insecurity so she won't take the advice.</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>-Lamar</p>

<p>Call the sperm bank and ask, if she’s curious. They ought to be able to pull records from the mother’s name (and the mother is the one who would need to call). I’m somewhat surprised that a single mother by choice who intentionally chose to have a mixed-race child has no records at all, so there may be more to the story than what the daughter knows.</p>

<p>I personally would not advise my own child to claim an ethnic identity which has never been part of her self-identification in an attempt to game college admissions, whether any proof of a genetic connection existed or not.</p>

<p>I’ll let her know and see if her mom can call them and find out, it sounds very suspicious IMO that they wouldn’t know to begin with. </p>

<p>Her mother can call the sperm bank and request the donor’s profile, which will include race, ethnicity, education, interests, and other interesting information. Best to find out exactly what his ethnicity is before entering information on a college application. If she is “half hispanic”, she should find out exactly what ethnicity she is - mexican, from one of the south american countries, spain, etc…which will be listed on the donor’s profile. </p>

This really is a new one. Goes to show just how desperate some kids are to get into elite schools. Never would have thought of this.