Self learning Ap micro Econ, books or edX?

I want to self learning AP micro Econ because it cannot get in my schedule this year. I plan to take the exam this May. Do I take edX online course? or use books like step 5 to 5? I will buy barron book for exam preparation, but not sure whether online course or book is more helpful to manage the knowledge required for the AP exam.

Why do you want to take the AP exam? If it is to impress college admissions m, it won’t help. If you are genuinely interested in economics reading The Economist and the Financial Times are a better path.

3 Likes

because I should have taken this AP course this year, but it cannot fit into my schedule. so I want to take the exam to show my ability, lots of students in my school took that course. I am looking for a good resource for self learning.

….but who are you trying to show? AOs won’t be interested in a self-study & your GC won’t include it in assessing your course rigor.

I am trying to show it to AO. I will list it in common App. In common App, there are 15 APs can be listed.

Not on your transcript. It won’t matter.

You want to take a rigorous schedule at school so your guidance counselor notes you took the hardest schedule possible.

This is just a time waste and perhaps even dangerous if you struggle in other classes because of it.

If your schedule is already that loaded you’ll have no issue.

Also, what type of schools are you targeting ? Some don’t even require big rigor ?

AnywY I agree with @collegemom3717 Listen to her and stop. When you are able to take it in ha or later, take the class then.

Admissions officers want to see how you do throughout an actual course - they don’t care about your ability to cram for an exam.

This year, I mistakenly take regular Econ and I should have taken AP Econ. But now I just want to fix it by taking the AP exam by self learning. The counselor said since I take regular Econ, it doesn’t make sense for me to take AP Econ in the next year. So I just want to fix my mistake. I think this year I don’t have a heavy work load. I am targeting the T30 schools. I am very worried because of this regular Econ so I just want to do something.

It’s not going to help. It’s easily explainable that the schedule didn’t work. What you showed it a rigorous schedule. No need to worry.

Plus a school isn’t taking you based on an AP score. They are taking you based on the transcript.

Multiple people have told you this. Call a school and ask if you don’t believe.

Btw do you know what schools interest you ? Top 30 means you are drinking the ranking look aid. Do you have a budget ? Have you looked at schools to know which area of the country, what size, what you may want to study etc ?

I am targeting at STEM major, I am just worrying about the regular Econ I am taking this year. Because it is not rigorous enough and according to my counselor said I cannot take AP Econ in the next year because it is considered a repeat. and I am trying to make up. Self learning and then take the exam is the only way I can think of to fix my mistake. Do you have any suggestions about what can I do to show the AO that I am able to manage the AP Econ course?

I think taking the AP on its own is wasteful.

If your schedule is rigorous, including other social sciences, then stop worrying. You are way over thinking.

I don’t know your stats but there will be lots of great schools out there for you.

What you are doing is not adding value.

1 Like

That you took regular Econ & not AP Econ will NOT be the reason you don’t get in, and taking the AP on your own will NOT be what gets you in. You are focused on the wrong thing.

Instead of wasting time worrying about one AP credit, start doing more homework on the different colleges. ESPECIALLY if you / your parents are thinking that if it isn’t a famous name / top ranking it’s a failure, you need to learn what colleges are good for your area of interest. In many STEM fields state universities are as good or better than some of the more famous names, partly because the state has invested in expensive equipment & facilities.

1 Like