Sending SAT scores to test-optional schools

So, here’s a story that should make everyone laugh at my kid’s expense.

DS24 has two official visits this month. Both schools asked for him to submit his SAT scores from March when he set up the visits. He also had to submit them to the NCAA. So…he sent his scores to every school he wants to apply to. He hit the button that sends them to everywhere on his college list. These are all test-optional schools.

He got 700 or above on each section. That’s within the middle 50 or higher at all of the schools he is considering.

Did he just tank his chances at some of the test optional schools because he’s not over a 1500?

No. And if he indicated on the application that he was applying test optional, they’d be ignored.

And really, it’s only in College Confidential and Reddit that people think < 1500 sucks. If he’s over the median, he should submit.

6 Likes

I don’t know the answer to that but totally sounds like something many of our kids would do!

Counselors do recommend submitting only if in the top 25%. Maybe it’s possible to cancel, since he hasn’t actually applied yet. Do they even send this early? Or, have they been received and it’s final? Over 700 sounds good to me! :slight_smile:

I still have trouble believing a 1500 can hurt you anywhere. It’s an excuse for not getting in but I doubt it’s the reason.

1 Like

Sounds like he is going through recruiting with the mention of the NCAA - presume as he gets closer the coaches will decide if he should check test optional
or not for his prereads and final apps.

1 Like

Absolutely. I have two words for your son – gap year!
Seriously, what’s wrong with you people?

This question was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but the scenario above in my original post actually happened.

I’ll just tell him that it’s our fault for not micromanaging the process enough if/when he gets waitlisted/rejected. Or chalk it up to random chance like the state lotto. :grin:

Maybe some do, but it’s not common.

Depends to which schools she is applying.

If the score is in 25-75 range it is good to send it.

If it is above 75 she should definitely send it; it is going to be a big help

1 Like

Less than 25 percentile it is a good idea not to send it and hope that the essays are catchy.