Sending Transcripts

So I’m applying before the October 15th deadline. Do I have to apply then get my transcript in before that date?

You can send your transcripts before you apply. Also SAT scores. A&M will link it all together with your application. My S did it this way for fall 2016 and it worked fine.

@Thelma2 did your son mail the transcript?

@slingam00 A&M’s preferred method is for you to upload a PDF copy of an official transcript. Hard to believe but true. If you have access to a scanner, you scan it in to one file and upload it.

@gettingschooled Yeah, I knew that the preferred method was scanning and uploading the pdf copy. Except, I still have to finish my app and won’t submit until a couple weeks from now, so I thought it was best for me to mail it in with the Document ID paper

@slingam00 @gettingschooled is correct. So, we did both!!! Ha ha.

We actually had a mishap with his transcripts and the first batch he received.Only had his first semester of Jr year on it!! We didn’t know because they were sealed, counselor didn’t catch it. He mailed transcripts Aug. 1. Then, due to marching band, school, being a senior, and his work schedule, he got his apps in by mid October. His A&M AISl never updated, just didn’t have the check mark. It was the portal for UT that said “incomplete” and so a call was made and we found out the issue. So, new transcripts were ordered and uploaded through AIS. I do not recall what we did for UT. I can’t recall if it was mailed or could be uploaded. From the time he sent the apps to the new transcript sent, to his admissions was about two weeks.

I can’t really think of a reason why mailing a transcript and waiting for someone to scan it and upload it for you would be better than scanning and loading it yourself unless you don’t have access to a scanner. Scanning it is a little bit of pain, I’ll admit especially since A&M limits the file size. But it allows you the peace of mind of knowing it is there and associated with your file right away. Admissions will post pictures later in the season of the pounds of mail they get everyday and have to scan in.

If it makes you feel better, then do it but I’d do both as Thelma suggests.

@gettingschooled @Thelma2 how long does it take for the transcript to be processed if scanned and uploaded? I still haven’t submitted my app so I can’t upload it until I get my AIS ID. If I was to submit my app say like October 1st, would I be able to scan, upload and send by say October 5th, would the admissions office receive it in time for the October 15th deadline?

1 Like

@slingam00 Are you applying for engineering? The upload system would be much, much faster in getting your transcript synced vs mailing it.

If you are not applying for engineering, then the Oct 15 deadline does not pertain to you.

If you apply by Oct. 1, you should get your UIN within days. For my son, it was the next day. Then, upload your transcript and any supporting documents. Sent your SAT/ACT scores asap. Keep an eye on your AIS for what is complete. Make calls where necessary if you sense a problem.

Read this on essay submission, esp. the formatting part. https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/html/faq_essay.html

Yes, I’m applying for engineering. @Thelma2 does TAMU have to fully process the transcript before the deadline, and how long did that take with the upload system from pushing send to TAMU saying that they have it. I’m just a bit worried right now because I’m running short on time and I want to make this deadline.

One other option for the transcript, depending on where you live, is to drop it off in an A&M satellite office. They have them in the major cities in Texas. My son’s high school just drove down to the one in Houston and dropped them all off in bulk and they were processed that day.

@pbleigh Unfortunately that wouldn’t work for me as I’m from Washington State. Thanks for the suggestion though!

@slingam00 sorry, I suppose not unless you have a friend that lives near an office in Texas

@slingam00 The uploaded transcript will have a date and time stamp of when it was sent, so the date that your AIS updates with the checkmark to show that it has been turned in/received is not important- (unless it never updates, then
you need to call)If I recall correctly, you should be able to see a time/date stamp on what you uploaded in your AIS, under my documents, my uploads.
A mailed transcript will not go by the post mark date, but will be opened the day received and date/time stamped. I do not know how long it takes to sync it up to each application but I would not think long. I would imagine they have it very streamlined and an order to the madness of receiving over 40 thousand applications per cycle.

@Thelma2 Sorry, but I have another question. How long does it take for the university to receive my ACT score if I sent it on Sunday, September 17 and does that score have to be in by October 15th?

@slingam00 Your ACT score does have to be in by Oct 15 to meet the ED deadline. Your file is not complete without it. How long it takes to sync up has too many variables and no way to say. And in past cycles, applicants have not reported when they sent scores to their AIS updating. There just isn’t any info on a time frame. It shouldn’t take too long to sync it up once you get your Application in.

Do keep an eye on your AIS. If it is not marked “received” in two weeks (it will probably be less time), do call college board about what day they sent it or admissions. Sometimes they have it, they just have not updated AIS yet.