Senior members can now post images

Update: Now Trust Level 2 members can post images too.

You might have noticed that I’m including screenshots in some of my posts. The new platform makes uploading simple and we can extend that ability to select members of the community. Not only will it make it easier to report bugs by including screenshots, it can also make conversations more engaging. A picture might not be worth a thousand words, but they can say things that are difficult to express any other way.

Now I spent a little time over at ApplyingToCollege subreddit and it was overwhelmed with memes on Wednesday. I don’t think we are interested in that, which is why we’re offering images to Trust Level 3 users. Until someone has spent some time on the forums and contributed to it, they won’t be able to post images.

When composing a message, senior members will have an “Upload” button:

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 10.24.00 AM

Tapping that will bring up a dialog box to pick an image from your device or somewhere on the internet:

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 4.55.17 PM

After the image is loaded into the message, the author can chose to show the image at 50%, 75% or 100%:

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 10.53.51 AM

Readers can still view the full sized image by tapping or clicking on it.

We’ve also blocked several image sharing sites. That should discourage people from posting enormous images and mindlessly sharing memes. (Nothing against memes, per se. I just don’t want to see the site overwhelmed by them.)

This feature is something of an experiment. We can adjust settings if needed. Please be considerate of each other and the moderators. Please remember the Terms of Service. I hope you enjoy this new feature and I’m looking forward to what you all will share!

1 Like

You realize that Wednesdays on A2C are known as Sh**post Wednesday, right? Please don’t let CC go down that path or look to Reddit as the Holy Grail of best practices.

1 Like

I figured it out after a bit. :wink: Yesterday and today look a lot better. And yes, that’s the last thing I want.

Anecdote: I told my son, who is graduating high school early this month, about A2C and how it was full of means. His answer: “What did you expect from Reddit?”

1 Like

And for “senior members” who have been here for many years and now relegated to “newbie”? Will their status be reinstated so they can post images?

3 Likes

I believe I’ve updated everyone who was a senior member before to the equivalent status on the new platform. It’s always possible someone was missed, but I’m happy to fix the problem if someone lets me know who I missed. (I checked your status and you should be able to post images now, by the way.)

1 Like

My trust level is “regular,” John. What does that even mean? I’ve been here for over 6 years. What exactly does it take to be a “senior member?”

1 Like

You might have missed me!

Senior member is the nomenclature of the old platform, which equates to trust level 3 / regular here.

I apparently am still a regular member. I have been on here for 10 years.

I seem to remember getting a note yesterday that I had been promoted to senior member but now I am back to regular member. And I do not see the option to add images when I reply.

Regular is Trust Level 3.

I am a Regular member and can upload photos. Though I saw no 100%, 75%, 50% options to resize it. (EDIT:Apparently on an iPad, you need to click “Show Selected” then click “actual size” and select Small, Medium, Large, Original.)

1 Like

I have tagged someone. For the first time! (Lol!)

When someone is reading a thread, and there is a high resolution image, is it shown by default in a lower resolution version, with the option to tap it for the full resolution version?

This can be especially important for those using mobile devices on slower or metered network connections. Also, many mobile devices are small enough that the full resolution version would not show anything more than a lower resolution version.

So I am a regular trust level 3 member but I do not have the option to upload??

You don’t see this?

1 Like

Yes, that’s how it works. For instance, below is a rather large image I took at the Grand Canyon. It should be a reasonable download size by default and only show the original size if you tap on the arrows in the bottom right of the image. Truly huge images are blocked altogether. (I just tried to add a panoramic image that weighs in a 13.8 Mb and the site politely suggested I upload it to an image sharing service instead.)

1 Like

It looks like the inlined image above is about 95kbytes, versus 1.98Mbytes for the full size one if you want to view it.

2 Likes

Just checking to see if I know what I’m doing (photo taken by me today)

5 Likes

Last night I was on my Android and I didn’t see it. Today on my desktop I do see it. I normally use desktop. Test

EDIT: Just checked on my Android and the upload option is not there. Not a problem for me as i normally use desktop for CC.

3 Likes

3 Likes