Serious Soccer Player and Boarding School

The indexing you see is probably closely correlated to the disproportionate level of "hooked’ students form those schools vs. a strong preference from the admissions officers… This was true even 30 years ago - I went to a BS (not one you mentioned) and many, many of the Ivy-bound (and similar) kids were hooked (often doubly so - i.e. a legacy + recruit).

For Boston day schools, Commonwealth is very rigorous (median SAT is 1490) and doesn’t have much in way of sports requirements… my understanding is that it is fairly common for them to exempt elite athletes/dancers altogether…

BUA is similarly academically minded but I think the BU classes in jr/sr year might cause a problem with an elite club team… I can’t imagine the BU professors would make many expectations for missed class times for tournaments - may be work arounds though, not sure.

Both have incredibly friendly admissions offices…

4 Likes

I’m replying a bit late here, but wanted to mention that Northwood School in Lake Placid has a VERY strong soccer program that is also a year-round club. They have a long history of being a school with a year-round hockey program then added soccer more recently and I’ve heard great things about it! There are three flights per day from Boston to Saranac Lake, 20 mins from the school, so don’t let the remote location turn you off.

3 Likes

@phantomrider - hi there. As a former SAS mom( 2of my DDs are now in boarding schools in the US) - as great as it is to make varsity as a freshman at SAS and if you are playing JSSL/ESA etc -the D1 landscape is VERY HARD. They look to kids from EU as well for recruiting

There are def soccer focused boarding schools (one of my oldest daughter’s classmates went to a soccer focused one in MN. I have another friend who moved frm SG to USA whose son joined a great club team (MLS - the one right below next if next is the top) and getting ANY visibility is very hard (prob harder as he is a goalie). Most D1 players are actually coming out of spending an extra year at BS as a PG or even playing in europe. So she is now looking for that PG year/spot for next year and even then no guarantees forD1…he had plenty of D3 offers at great schools today but doesnt want them. That being said - somehow i do know a few boys who were recruited out of SAS soccer to play D3 (Amherst College / NYU) in the past.
Both athletic recruiting and academic competitiveness are tough from SAS

That being said - do i know you ?? my daughter is class of 2026 and was at SAS from prek-8th :slight_smile:
Msg me via DM pls!

1 Like

@phantomrider - happy to put you in touch w/ my friend in CT who is in the midst of this soccer/college recruiting having come from SG

I can only speak from my own experience, but none of my son’s teammates in MLS Next that went on to D1 soccer took a PG year, and none were European.

MLS Next teams, at the high school age, are comprised of 2 birth years each(and sometimes 3 graduating classes). Over the 2+ years my son played on the U19 team there were 21 players that committed to D1 schools. A little less than half were in prep schools.

If a player starts, and is a contributor on an MLS Next team, AND they put the work into the recruiting process, they can commit to a D1 school.

Once you get to your D1 team though, don’t expect much, if any playing time your first year. When my son was an 18-year-old freshman his oldest teammate was 26. Think about that. There is not only a soccer learning curve, but a massive jump in physicality, athleticism and speed of play. It’s hard work to get up to speed.

Think long and hard about the D1 dream. Every year the coaches are recruiting for your position. Yes, they look in Europe, and bring several Europeans in. Make sure your kids know the full picture. It’s an awesome goal, a real achievement, and a lot of fun if you have the mindset for it.

3 Likes

Hey! Typically, it is quite difficult to play on a club team during the off season unfortunately, although depending on the school maybe it is possible – though again, doubtful.

2 Likes

Also, I will add that the prep school soccer landscape is constantly changing, and former powerhouse Berkshire may be deemphasizing soccer now. Conversely, I know Millbrook, which was very weak, now has a phenomenal coach, is actively recruiting and now has REALLY strong program.

In terms of Club, Rich Powell, head coach at Salisbury, has or had some kind of affiliation with the Boston Bolts, and has a club team that may work with prep school kids.

2 Likes

Thanks @cinnamon1212 would you have a contact for Rich?

Surely his contact info is on the Salisbury School website?

Eta, yes. Here it is:

1 Like

Hey @nat1969 Sent you a DM. Do ping me when you get a chance. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks. We are primarily focused on NMH at the moment as it’s my alma mater.

1 Like

Does anyone know of Darlington School outside Atlanta? Any thoughts?

Berkshire.

1 Like

Connect with Charlie. He’s been working in/out of the prep school soccer space and now focuses on the recruiting journey. Really nice guy. We are working with him for our daughter.

• He worked at Loomis 5 yrs = #1 in nation
  • Moved to Berkshire for 5 yrs = #1 in nation

Charlie Bour
Soccerjourney(dot)com
585-355-7334
CAB Sports, LLC

1 Like