Severe weather?

<p>Just saw on the weather channel that Tuscaloosa has a 9 on the 10 point tornado outlook scale for today. So first, sending safe wishes to everyone in the path of the violent weather today.</p>

<p>Second, for those of you on campus, how does UA handle tornado warnings? So you sign up for text alerts? Designated safe areas in dorms?</p>

<p>My son said that there is a warning system in place for severe weather, etc. They test the horns weekly – and yes, you can hear them. They drown out professors very well. My son was so concerned about the weather today … well, he rolled over and went back to sleep after I called.</p>

<p>We have an e-mail/text alert system for severe weather, but apparently today’s weather was not enough to warrant notification. We were notified about the chance of snow a couple months back, including notification that classes were canceled. We also have a tornado plan for every building.</p>

<p>Today’s weather caught me by surprise. I’m not used to thunder at 6AM.</p>

<p>**Just saw on the weather channel that Tuscaloosa has a 9 on the 10 point tornado outlook scale for today. So first, sending safe wishes to everyone in the path of the violent weather today.</p>

<p>Second, for those of you on campus, how does UA handle tornado warnings? So you sign up for text alerts? Designated safe areas in dorms? **</p>

<p>just</p>

<p>UA sends emergency/severe weather alerts via SMS (text), e-mail, and occasionally automated calls. There are designated safe areas in each building and course syllabi are required to notify students of UA’s Severe Weather Protocol.</p>