SGA (Machine) tables integration of Greek system..... again

<p>The nation is watching, Dr. Bonner.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/26/university-of-alabama-race-greeks-_n_5029195.html”>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/26/university-of-alabama-race-greeks-_n_5029195.html</a></p>

<p>Alright, to be fair to the SGA and the GLO constituency thereof, they tabled a resolution supporting integration of the greek system. The SGA is not Congress - their resolutions carry absolutely zero weight. They can’t table or approve anything.</p>

<p>I think it was an unwise move, but I don’t think this was an action intended to oppose the successful integration of the system. I think the Greeks may have resented the resolution given that a fairly large number of houses have already integrated.</p>

<p>Oh, it was absolutely intended to avoid showing support for integrating the system. My daughter has loved her time in Alabama. She has made a wide and diverse group of friends and been involved with great groups, but The Machine and racism on campus will always be a source of embarrassment to her. </p>

<p>

Alright, just to be clear, you believe that the vote to table a resolution calling for integration of the university’s fraternities and sororities was, in fact a gesture of support for integration?</p>

<p>No I don’t. But go back and read what I wrote. I am no fan of the Machine. In fact, I ran as an independent for SGA Senate when I was at UA. And again, the system is now integrated. Should UA require each house to have a minority? A quota system could,get awkward.</p>

<p>Isn’t such a vote symbolism over substance? What would it accomplish? </p>

<p>I don’t understand being embarrassed by a so-called Machine, unless one is a member, I guess. And Alabama certainly has no monopoly on racism. My California alma maters had plenty of racists, and other nincompoops, of all kinds. I am not embarrassed because I don’t define those schools by the idiots who may somehow get admitted. I only answer for myself, and that is what I expect my son to do when he is at Alabama, and, not surprisingly, he has zero interest in the Greek life. Our California inclination is not to have to make nice in order to get accepted by other people based on things like family name, certain clothes and shoes, or connections. Admittedly, I was a great disappointment to my southern grandmother, for whom some of those things meant too much, and I never felt a twinge of guilt about that whatsoever. She’s passed on, as will others who viewed the world as she did, and, as Alabama becomes a national university, I would think that the influence of a so-called Machine will diminish year by year. Just let it happen, as it will. As long as people are not being kept from pursuing their education at Alabama, then what would be the problem with just ignoring the so-called Machine? Do they really wield such power or are they a convenient tool to cause division? What do actual students think? Let students make their own choices free of some artificial attempt to enforce rules on these groups.</p>

<p>By the way, what is the Huffington Post’s readership? I thought HuffPo went out of business long ago. I am sorry to see it still exists.</p>

<p>In our family we do not believe in just waiting for things to change; things change because of activism. The great changes in our country in civil rights and women’s rights in the last century did not happen because people sat around waiting for change.
My daughter is embarrassed because people associate UA with racism and it is keeping a good university from becoming a great one. </p>

<p>Um, changes were made. U keep inferring that nothing has changed. Again, are u asking for a quota system? There are now many flagships whose Greek houses are less integrated than UA’s. Why no national news stories about those schools? And the title of the thread is misleading. The SGA did not table integration, but rather a resolution. </p>

<p>I am not inferring that changes have not been made, but the small change that happened was only after someone made a stink. If those young women had not taken action, but just shrugged their shoulders and waited for a change in the future then nothing would have been changed at all.
I don’t really care if other schools are as bad as worse. If they are then shame on them as well, and I think there should also be stories in the national news about them. I really hate the tendency to try to hush up problems with UA; a growing and vibrant community has to be able to look its problems in the face. Facing problems honestly and fully is a sign of strength.</p>

<p>As to why the SGA didn’t want to pass this non-binding resolution in support of social fraternity and sorority integration, I do not know. It’s worth noting that the SGA and faculty senate have very limited power at UA and that UA reserves the right to disband the SGA at will, having last done so in the 1990s. </p>

<p>I do feel that now that sororities have been somewhat integrated, they will continue to be so. UA’s fraternities are not as well-integrated and do need to improve in that manner. It’s not a matter of quotas, but rather anyone who’s interested in that organization, meets relevant criteria, and gets along with current members is very likely to become a member themselves. </p>

<p>@Emmasmum … I respect your view and understand it. I am all for activism myself, but I do this on a one-on-one basis, person to person, because I want to see real change, not superficial change.</p>

<p>I guess I just cannot get too riled up about the Greek system, which, to me, is antiquated and it’s only function is to perpetuate exclusivity, isn’t it? I don’t mean to offend those for whom the Greek system means a lot - I understand the importance of tradition and the importance of having connections to a community - but I really have no understanding and no appreciation of the whole rushing process, which to me just looks like a process that forces one to beg to be accepted into a particular group. Why would anyone want to participate in that? And for what return? I just don’t get it. So whether the fraternities and sororities are integrated means nothing to me - why should I be concerned about a small percentage of the student body who choose to narrow their circles to people who look and sound and think just like them? I guess the only thing that might annoy me is if my son’s tuition and fees goes in any way towards financially supporting those fraternities and sororities, but other than that, when he is at Alabama, the entire Greek system there will be irrelevant to him. </p>

<p>For those current sorority sisters who secretly believe that it is absurd to deny membership to a girl based on her race, then they are in a position to show some independent thinking and work to persuade fellow members to stop using race as a factor. Or they can speak loudly with their money, and establish other sororities that are open to members regardless of race. One thing that seems to be a constant with Greek life is that money talks, and if these fraternities and sororities started losing members, and the money that comes with them, then I bet some change would happen.</p>

<p>Emmasmum, Again, I am no fan of the UA Greek system, and I do think it was bad pr for the SGA to vote to table the resolution. But I think you don’t have a full picture of the context. Again, a good number of the Greek houses ARE NOW INTEGRATED. While I personally would love to see even more houses integrated, I am also aware of a couple of factors which will likely limit even more integration. </p>

<p>First, I would venture to say that cost of membership is one major reason why there will not be minority memberships proportional to actual percentages of the student body. On average, Black and Latino and even some Asian students come from lower income families than do White students. That is just a fact. I would also venture to say that the majority of the student body at UA cannot afford to join a Greek house, whether the student is White or Black. So, you will have a much smaller pool of Black and Latino and Asian students from which the UA Greek houses can select new members. Second, many of the Black students who DO have the resources to join a Greek house, probably prefer to join a traditionally Black Greek house. The Black chapters at UA have a proud history. </p>

<p>In this context, it must be asked, what level of integration would satisfy critics? Does each Greek house need to have at least one minority member? I agree that if students in a house want integration, it is outrageous if they are prevented from integrating, as we saw in last year’s scandal about the UA alum blocking one sorority’s integration. No one can defend that. However, I can see why the Greek houses might resist quotas. This would run the risk of tokenism. </p>

<p>I hope that clarifies things and better explains my position. Sometimes, segregation is not forced, but voluntary. UA can work to make sure it is not forced for sure. But can UA really make sure that integration is compulsory? </p>

<p>Just my 2 cents:</p>

<p>I agree quotas are NOT the way to go and would do more harm than good. With quotas in place any non-minority that did not get a bid would simply say that’s because a minority got <em>their</em> space. It would just cause more division and animosity in the system.</p>

<p>What I’d like to see is for the administration to simply say that as an organization affiliated with the university, discrimination will NOT be tolerated. I’d like to see them implement a stronger appeals system for anyone who feels they are discriminated against. I would like the school to take responsibility to investigate potential discrimination that is reported. I would like to see the school impose penalties on houses where discriminatory practices are discovered through an investigation, just as they would impose penalties for hazing or underage drinking that is reported. </p>

<p>It’s really not that difficult. There are many other organizations on campus - sports teams, intramural teams, student led clubs - they all function with no visible discrimination, yet no quotas. Students who want to join and are qualified to do so join and others don’t.</p>

<p>Those organizations also don’t have existing traditionally Black student organizations, except for the Black Students Association. And, they cost much less than do Greek memberships. Thus, they will of course be more integrated. And just to remind, Dr. Bonner has repeatedly said that discrimination based on race will not be tolerated. </p>

<p>I am a mother of a black young lady who was excited to attend the The University of Alabama in the fall. She was also excited to rush . She attended preview day dressed in her Lilly dress and Tory boots in March and has started to obtain the necessary letters of recommendation from alumni. My daughter has turned down several other schools because she fell in love with UA. Not to sound off pudding but we certainly CAN afford the chapter fees and membership dues. My point is how is she to feel now that a statement has been made that really is different from what was said at preview. At preview (for the girls and the the parents diversity was stressed) and we felt that the problems that the university experienced before were lessening. I have a sinking feeling in my stomach now that nothing much has changed. The president of the university ,Dr. Bonner needs to speak out and stop the nasty PR campaign that is being smeared against the university. Change has to come from the top and from within.</p>

<p>Momyesmom, I understand your perspective. However, please remember that the SGA has no power to stop what Dr. Bonner promised to do, which is to not tolerate racial discrimination. And in fact, she has begun to deliver on that promise. There are now many UA sororities with African American and other minority members. Dr. Bonner provided an update on the progress made on video last year, showing the progress made. Here is a link to a “progress report”: <a href=“Dr. Judy Bonner Issues Progress Report on Vimeo”>http://vimeo.com/76730402&lt;/a&gt; According to this video, 12 of UA’s traditionally White sororities now have Black members. All sororities now have minority members. Also, all UA IFC Frats now have minority members, and seven have Black members. So I don’t know that UA deserves the negative attention it is getting. </p>

<p>And I certainly did not mean to imply that only a few Black students can afford to join a Greek house, but I standby my assertion that the percentage of Black students at UA with the resources necessary to join a Greek house, is significantly lower than that for White students. I know that I certainly could not afford to join one when I was there. And I imagine that around 50 per cent of all students, would have trouble paying the membership fees. I have always felt that the Greek system is about class distinctions than racial ones. But what should UA do, outlaw them? I don’t know that I support the subsidizing of these giant mansions for the Greek chapters, but they do seem to be one factor that attracts more out of state students. </p>

<p>I want to strongly encourage you to call Dr. Bonner’s office, and ask to speak with her. During the initial controversy last year, I called her office, and was treated with great respect and concern. Two weeks later, I received a call from Dr. Bonner on a Saturday morning. She even apologized for not having gotten back to me sooner. I truly believe that she has an open door policy, and would welcome the chance to tell you how she is keeping her promise. While I agree that the SGA missed a great opportunity, I still think that the UA administration is taking the right steps, and that they are committed to change. </p>

<p>And please keep in mind what I wrote above. It could get tricky if each house felt pressured to have at least one AA member. With the regrettable self segregation on most campuses, I don’t see how it is likely that UA’s Greek houses will resemble the overall student body any time soon. But certainly, if there are Greek students who want their houses integrated, no one should stop them. And yes, the administration needs to continue to take steps to encourage diversity in these houses, but let’s not just limit it to race. I want the chapters encouraged to open up to students with lesser financial means (house scholarships?), and students with varying political perspectives. Too often, race is the only factor considered when discussing diversity. </p>

<p>Given all of these ongoing issues (plus the high costs), I am glad that my student is not planning to be involved in the social Greek organizations. I do hope that things will continue to improve at UA, for the sake of everyone involved! To momyesmom: I am very hopeful that your daughter finds a sorority that is perfect for her!</p>

<p>I wish posts were numbered (like they used to be). Just because you can afford to join and wear the ‘right’ brand of clothes and play the part, doesn’t necessarily mean you should. Talk about judging a book by it’s cover… I really scratch my head about why someone wants to join something that judges this way. We never seem to hear from the students who don’t get into a house based on the fact that they are somehow less desirable because they had Jack Roger knockoffs instead of the real thing…cry foul all you want, people…racism is more than skin deep.</p>

<p>Please do not believe that being Greek is always bad thing at Alabama. Many Greeks, including my son and his friends, fought against or continue to fight the “establishment” for change. </p>

<p>My son’s fraternity is integrated. He would not have joined (not pledged but joined because they do not pledge) if he had felt there would be any sort of racism. He had a good experience in Greek life, serving as chapter president as well as the fraternity’s National Board. </p>

<p>By the way, his fraternity does not turn down people based on their clothing. The only requirement is that they have clothing.</p>