Shapiro Allegations and the Effect on the University?

<p><a href="http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6866006/ponzi-schemer-nevin-shapiro-says-provided-benefits-miami-athletes%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6866006/ponzi-schemer-nevin-shapiro-says-provided-benefits-miami-athletes&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>How will this impact the school do you think? Opinions?</p>

<p>Let’s not talk about this. >.></p>

<p>(Last night “Shapiro” was trending on twitter, in case you didn’t notice.)</p>

<p>I’m hoping it’s all a lie. But chances are there is at least some truth to it. I’m just hoping that there’s no incriminating evidence on current players or players that have been here in the last four years, and that there’s no solid evidence that coaches were involved. That way, the NCAA can’t go beyond their four year statue of limitations.</p>

<p>If it’s all true, and the NCAA determines this to be the case, it will still probably only have profound effects within the athletic department, thankfully. It would be terrible, but at least it’s not going to affect my education. I doubt they’d resort to the “death penalty” in such a case, so we’d still have football. It would just be a severely hindered football program, with, probably, bowl bans and scholarship reductions as well as many of our players being ineligible to play.</p>

<p>But let’s sit back and see how it plays out. As of yet, we don’t know what the NCAA is thinking. This could all be nothing. Let’s hope that’s the case anyway.</p>

<p>Miami’s in deep trouble here. Ten years of this activity going on. And former AD Paul Dee coming down hard on USC for violations while worse shenanigans were going on at his own school! 12 current football players have been implicated. Just when you thought that Hurricanes football had hit bottom, another trap door opens for a further fall from grace. As an alumni, I am sad about the recent football program’s lousy performance. There has been poor recruiting these last few years and now the coaches have been implicated too in this scandal.</p>

<p>The basketball program looks to be in deep trouble too…from the article…</p>

<p>““The booster (Shapiro) said his role went one step farther with the basketball program, when he paid $10,000 to help secure the commitment of recruit DeQuan Jones. Shapiro said the transaction was set up by assistant coach Jake Morton in 2007 who acted as the conduit for the funds, and was later acknowledged by head coach Frank Haith in a one-on-one conversation.””</p>

<p>Uh-oh.</p>

<p>Thankfully, just because Shapiro says it’s true doesn’t mean it’s true. And, even if it is true, it doesn’t mean it can be proven to be true to such a degree that the NCAA will accept it as true.</p>

<p>That being said, Yahoo Sports seems to have done their due diligence in research.</p>

<p>I’ll just keep hoping for the best :)</p>

<p>In theory, if the NCAA did institute the death penalty, would that open up more money for academic scholarships to try to get academic prestige up?</p>

<p>By death penalty, they don’t mean literally ending the program. The worst they’ve ever done is shutting down the program for two years (at SMU). It’s not a permanent thing. However, it, obviously, severely crippled SMU’s program permanently.</p>

<p>So, probably not, because the program would continue after a few years. If the program were not to continue then it depends on how UM allocates its money. The problem is that football is a greater source of income than it is a loss of money, so overall the school would probably lose money. Think of football tickets, merchandise, hotel deals, etc.</p>

<p>If all of the allegations are true (which I doubt) this will make all of Ohio State’s transgressions, true and untrue, look like jaywalking. </p>

<p>However, it does not look good for UM. Apparently Yahoo didn’t publish a few other coaches names and over 30 other players names becomes they could not be corroborated by another source, just Shapiro. Yikes. </p>

<p>Paul Dee and Donna Shalala look like major tools after this though. </p>

<p>“At Miami, president Donna Shalala personally hires each coach. She studies the NCAA rulebook and weekly compliance reports. During football games, she scours the sidelines for suspicious guests. ‘I’m on alert all the time,’ she says.”</p>

<p>“High-profile players demand high-profile compliance” -Paul Dee (regarding USC & the Reggie Bush case)</p>

<p>I highly doubt the death penalty will be used, but I would be shocked if the penalties do not exceed what USC got. By far. </p>

<p>But, as an OSU fan, wait it out. It was pretty month from the end of May to about the end of June when it seemed like the OSU stuff really hit the fan. And guess what? The program was put under a microscope, ESPN had a front page article about OSU everyday for about two weeks, etc… And guess what? Only one extra player was added to the original tat5 (SI writer George Dohrmann went as far as to name a player that traded autographs for tats who does not have a single tattoo on his body. Still claims his ‘bombshell’ story is “100% accurate”. Agenda much?)</p>

<p>So hold tight UM, it might not be as bad as it seems right now. But, it does seem like Yahoo did their homework, not just random drive-by/mudslinging journalism. </p>

<p>This was the ‘10’ bombshell.</p>

<p>Rob - You rock.</p>

<p>I trust my university. I trust my president. I trust my athletics department.</p>

<p>for sure. I doubt if the U will get the death penalty. I like the new coach, and hope that they can overcome this. but Dee should be drummed out of the industry, and Shalala should finally resign over this one. She looks like a bufoon.</p>

<p>Oh no you didn’t.</p>

<p>If you actually knew anything about what President (show some respect) Shalala has done for the University, you’d be kissing her feet.</p>

<p>Somebody remind me of Shalala’s actions regarding the basketball scandal during her tenure at U-Wisconsin Madison. Was it on her watch or did she clean it up after her arrival?</p>

<p>I attended UMiami from 1979-1983. The University’s prestige really took off after President Foote shrank the number of undergraduates. He set it up so that the acceptance rate would decrease. Added to that, the 1983 National Championship resulted in a spike in applications to UM. So, I guess we should kiss Tad Foote’s feet. I doubt anyone will ever want to kiss Shalala for any reason. The thought makes me shudder…</p>

<p>What is REALLY crazy is that many of the ineligible players are part of the “Northwestern 7.” They graduated from Miami Northwestern the same year. Many turned out to be a bust- most notably Jacory (Japicky) Harris. He is an interception machine. My goodness this kid has harmed this program. Send Jacory back to Liberty City!</p>

<p>Just wanted to finish my rant- the Northwestern 7- we heard about them nonstop and only one of them (Sean Spence, also involved in this mess) ever contributed anything to this football program.</p>

<p>OK, just wanted to add, from my perspective last week as mom of moving-in freshman, class of 2015: Shalala was everywhere, got a standing O from the students at the Thursday evening pep rally, gave two brunches for parents, I heard she gave barbeque for freshmen later, posed with all parents and students who wanted to have their photos taken with her. I don’t know much about football scandals (except that they are happening everywhere, all over the country) but from my limited perspective as a parent of a new student, Shalala seems extremely popular, an activist president.</p>

<p>Most likely a death penalty for Miami. I feel sorry for all the incoming football recruits (Would their scholarships be rescinded if there’s a football ban?).</p>

<p>I think a little “death penalty” perspective is in order. There’s only been one school to get the so-called NCAA Death Penalty, SMU. At the time SMU was a repeat offender having been sanctioned by the NCAA on a number of occasions for recruiting violations. The death penalty came about for a number of reasons. Athletes were being paid from a slush fund established by a booster. The payments were being overseen and handled by a member of the athletic department staff. Not only that, the investigation went on to show that the SMU Board of Governors knew about the slush fund and only voted to eliminate it over time. The best part of the story was that the payments started 1 month after SMU had been slapped on the wrist by the NCAA. To top it off, the Chairman of the Board of Governors was BIll Clements, who admitted knowing about the fund after he had been elected Governor of the State of Texas. Beautiful - Politicians at work.</p>

<p>What has happened at Miami stinks. It’s hard to imagine that someone on the coaching staff didn’t know about the situation, but so far at least, no one has implied that the administration knew about the payments or in any way set up a system to facilitate those payments. </p>

<p>After cleaning up its 1980’s reputation for being “Convict U” the Miami athletic department has stayed comparatively clean. The current situation doesn’t quite sink to SMU “standards”. That said, the punishment is going to be ugly. The fact that ex-Miami AD Paul Dee, who was around when some of these payments were happening, took a holier than thou approach to sanctioning USC only likely makes the coming punishment worse. </p>

<p>My guess is that the NCAA will cut at least 30 football scholarships (25%) per year for 2-3 years, impose a bowl ban for at least five years and possibly a no TV ban for 3 years. If that’s the case then the athletic department is going to take a major financial hit. It will feel like a death penalty, but at least the program will exist. There are dark times coming; now’s the time for true fans to step up.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I am not sure, but the likely answer is yes. UM would just have to look into their own backyard, Seantrel Henderson was released from his LOI at USC (after they were slammed with sanctions) in the middle of the summer and then signed with the Hurricanes a few days later. IIRC, USC let him go, the NCAA technically did not force them to let him go freely. </p>

<p>What the NCAA did do to USC was let anyone currently on the team when the sanctions hit (basically anyone not a freshman. So technically the recruits were stuck, so they could have forced Henderson to stay) transfer without penalty. Usually if a D1 football player wants to transfer to another D1 school, they have to sit out a year (they transfer to a D1-AA school and lower and play right away though). USC lost a few guys that way. </p>

<p>Expect Miami to be poached pretty hard, with the above ^ and Miami’s recruiting class of 2012 will likely be raided as well.</p>

<p>And vince, I agree. The UM situation does not look quite as bad as SMU. But it is god-awful and I think the punishment will match that. I agree with your punishments, and I don’t think that it would be a full death penalty where they disband the football team, but like you said it would practically feel like the death penalty. </p>

<p>One thing I’m not sure of is if the NCAA will bring back TV bans. It would hurt UM, sure, but it would also hurt other schools that Miami is playing. Who knows though, arguably this is the biggest NCAA scandal since SMU. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m not sure if it was in the Yahoo article or a secondary report, but somewhere it said that assistant coaches were driving players and RECRUITS to strip clubs, yachts, parties, etc… sponsored and bank rolled by Nevin Shapiro. </p>

<p>If that is true, Miami would be screwed even worse than they are now (which is terrible). This practically puts UM on SMU’s level. </p>

<p>It certainly will be interesting seeing how the cards will fall and how quickly the NCAA moves.</p>

<p>article about Shalala, UM and the scandal:</p>

<p>[The</a> Associated Press: Scandal threatens Shalala’s ambitions at UMiami](<a href=“http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gax2GmLjtLLddsUGwalw5Zilr-1w?docId=222d69dda2f64632b5fa7c29bdbc355e]The”>http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gax2GmLjtLLddsUGwalw5Zilr-1w?docId=222d69dda2f64632b5fa7c29bdbc355e)</p>

<p>“This practically puts UM on SMU’s level.”</p>

<p>Well jdb26, the NCAA and Miami moved part of the way and 8 players are now suspended for varying lengths…So just how are you going to spin this to account for your beloved Buckeyes losing on 17 September? NCAA too lenient? Remember, It’s YOUR HEAD COACH who won’t be there at Sunlife, after lying IN WRITING to the NCAA. I don’t recall Donna Shalala, Randy Shannon or Kirby Hocutt writing TWO books about how we were supposed to model our lives on their unimpeachable character. UMiami wasn’t the only victim of this con-man, but errors made are being admitted to and penalties taken as administered. Please don’t fall into the HHH trap your President Gee, Athletic Director Smith and your disgraced Head Coach fell into: Hyperbole, Hubris and Hypocrisy. You need to worry about your own schools failings before passing judgement on Miami:</p>

<p>[Ohio</a> State plans for widespread compliance program - College Football - Rivals.com](<a href=“http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ohiost-ncaa-trustees]Ohio”>http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ohiost-ncaa-trustees)</p>

<p>Out of state firms recommended? Given that, people can draw their own conclusions about the Buckeye State’s lack of integrity and objectivity when it comes to OSU.</p>

<p>I’m not going to dignify that with a long response. Look at my other post in this thread, #7. </p>

<p>Way to take my quote out of context. “If that is true, Miami would be screwed even worse than they are now (which is terrible). This practically puts UM on SMU’s level.”</p>