Shelves behind bed

<p>You may want to see if you can secure the legs of the shelves to the bed legs with a number of zipties in a number of locations. That will help too. Actually put a channel in the leg of the shelves on the bottom, midway, and upper part so the zip tie will not slip up or down,. A hole through the leg of the shelf may do the same thing. </p>

<p>If it was possible, I would suggest you secure the shelves to the wall using an L bracket and 3M strips. I can’t remember if 3M is allowed in tut or not though.</p>

<p>cross posted with Mike…and the extra cross peice is a really good idea to ziptie too…and with that post being horizontal, the ties are not as likely to slip. And you avoid needing to use the L bracket and the 3M</p>

<p>Mike, thanks for the info on Ana White…looked her up, love her stuff! My husband may not be too happy! LOL</p>

<p>His thought was attaching (securing) the legs with highest bed rung as well. Either a cross bracket inside the bed post attaching to each leg of the shelving unit or bracing it with ties. Same ideas, that’s encouraging!
The Rustic Console on the Ana White page is the EXACT piece of furniture that my friend just paid $5,000 for. I’ll see her tonight. I don’t know if I can bare to tell her that we could’ve whipped that out in a weekend.</p>

<p>great minds …</p>

<p>lots of people (with little building experience) seem to be able to use ana whites plans successfully.</p>

<p>who pays 5000 for a console!!! : ) i suggest you not say anything.</p>

<p>I like the apothacary console on her page. Just what I am looking for, and think I know what I am doing this weekend!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>People who do not have kids in college :)</p>

<p>^^^^true! I stay mum, smile and nod. ;)</p>

<p>I posted pics to Flickr. They’re public. Tag words: rolltide2012 or tutshelf or dorm shelf
19 pics total from beginning to end.
pm if you are having problems accessing</p>

<p>Wow, love it! Great idea adding the undermounted light.
Wish I could use for DD who just moved to SB apt. sharing small room.
BUT being CA she has an aversion to having anything over her bed.</p>

<p>It breaks down to a small stack of flat boards. The legs are 7 1/2 feet which fit easily in our conversion van. Assembly and dismantling is simple. Built for the particular purpose of “anyone could do it.”
He offered to take a few orders that we could deliver in Tuscaloosa Aug 10-12th. He builds it. I paint it. You assemble it ;)</p>

<p>asaunmom, how much would you ask for one of those? or could you maybe send me some instructions? my dad and I have been looking for a way to make them where they easily dismantle so I’d love to hear what you came up with!</p>

<p>asaunmom: So are you saying that the total height is 7.5’? Would your hubby be willing to share his diminsions? I showed mine (another engineer) your pics to get him moving!</p>

<p>Dimensions:
Leg 90"
top 43"
shelf 41.6"
Hope that helps.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! That’s a great help!</p>