Shelving - Dorms

<p>My son will be in RCS-N this fall (next weekend!). He’ll be bringing his TV and one of his video game systems down with him. When I looked at the room during Bama Bound it looked like there would definitely be room for a bookshelf in the bedroom and, in fact, one would be needed. He thought the 3-drawer dresser would go under his bed and the desk would be full with a laptop and printer. So bookshelves would be needed for books, TV, gaming system, etc… I was going to buy a study plastic 3-4 shelf snap-together unit for his room from Wal-Mart. Has anyone had luck with this or used something else?</p>

<p>i might stick to something made of particle board instead of plastic. does he want a tall shelf or a short shelf?</p>

<p>a tall particle board shelf will run about 30 bucks.</p>

<p>if he wants something short, those “cubical” shelves from target might be a good choice.</p>

<p>there was a big discussion on shelving a few days ago.</p>

<p>I knew shelving had been talked about before (probably many times - didn’t pay attention until I was looking…) so I went back and re-read from a week or so ago where there was discussion about hutch-type desk bookshelves. He does need space for books but I was looking for something to put both a TV and books on - he’s a gaming guy so there is a gaming system/games/controllers, etc… </p>

<p>I was thinking of a plastic utility shelf from Wal-Mart. It won’t have a problem holding the weight (holds 500 lbs) but maybe that will be tippy for the TV (flat-screen) if bumped. Maybe he should just plan on doing the TV on top of the dresser and get some of those folding wire shelves (that were mentioned in a previous thread) for books and the gaming stuff. Want something that takes apart easy and/or folds for easy transport/storage. </p>

<p>Where have others put a TV in their bedrooms if they brought one down? I know there is space in the main living area but, right now, he wants it in his room.</p>

<p>Our D used a set of bookshelves we bought at The Container Store. The shelves were 6 feet tall and had three shelves and a basket. She was able to put her television, printer, books, and other items on the shelves. They were very functional and easy to pack and store. The shelving unit consisted of four metal poles and could be customized for the number of shelves or baskets needed…very durable and strong.</p>

<p>how big is his tv? does he plan to loft his bed or have it low? nvm, i see that he will probably have it just high enough to put the dresser underneath.</p>

<p>if the tv will fit on the dresser, you could rig up something kind of like the hutch shown in the other thread that would house books and things over the desk/nightstand area and then and area for his tv/games. </p>

<p>i was worried about the plastic shelf being stable enough for a tv. of course it will hold the weight, but the grid shelf might not be the most stable place to set a tv. but maybe it will be just fine, and if it isn’t you could always add a board underneath the tv. or ziptie it! haha</p>

<p>my daughter had one of the tall shelves from target, but her tv was only a 19 inch or so. that shelf held her tv and things like her current books and any old books she still had, storage boxes that had things like DVDs and CDs and small electronic swag like camera calculator and cords.</p>

<p>This is the brand of shelving our D used. It’s called Inter Metro. We were looking for something stable, durable, and easy to transport. There are shelf liners available to eliminate any problems with the grids. The components are sold separately and are easy to customize with accessories such as additional baskets for keys, coat hooks, etc.</p>

<p>[The</a> Container Store > InterMetro® Tower](<a href=“http://www.containerstore.com/shop/shelving/interMetroreg/bestSellingSolutions?productId=10000971&N=13378]The”>http://www.containerstore.com/shop/shelving/interMetroreg/bestSellingSolutions?productId=10000971&N=13378)</p>

<p>I think his TV is 37" (not sure - he’s had it awhile and bought it himself) so maybe we better plan on leaving it on the dresser for stability and just look for a shelving unit that can go next to the dresser and hold the books and gaming equipment.</p>

<p>I bought DD1 metal shelving similar to bamagirls example at KMart for around $45. It has worked great - she bought 3 sizes of soft sided bins and stores stuff on 3 of the shelves, and has her 36" TV on a shelf at sight level. On the bottom she stores heavy laundry stuff/water bottle cases. On the next shelf cereal, food prep stuff and dry food. On the top she stores extra blankets and pillows, hats and mittens. </p>

<p>The ability to go up with storage saves so much floor space!</p>

<p>^^^I would also opt for metal shelving as it is sturdier and keeping heavy items on the bottom as an anchor is a good idea.</p>

<p>^^Forgot to say that Fr Yr she had the mini fridge on the bottom, a small microwave, then the TV and then the soft stuff on the top. I know that appliances are not generally needed at UA, but wanted to show how much capacity these shelves have and how easy they adjust.</p>