shipping "stuff" to UM

<p>Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the most cost-efficient way to ship all of my freshman D's stuff from NY to Miami? I ordered whatever i could online or to be picked up at Bed Bath and Beyond when we get down there, but she has all her clothes, printer, ipod docking thing :) and assorted other weighty items. UPS? FedEx? USPS?</p>

<p>You may want to check on UM’s current policy regarding shipments. When S was there UM did not accept shipments until after the student had moved into their room which kind of defeated the purpose. Two of my kids’ schools had this policy. To get around it, many people would ship to the UPS store across the street on RT1 and for a nominal fee (about $5/day/box) they would hold the boxes until you arrive. I know our local UPS store helped us figure out when to ship so they arrived in time but not too, too early; and we let the arriving store know of our arrangements. I think we paid about $30-40/box to ship from NH. We also stuffed as much as we could in our suitcases-2 free/each on Southwest so there wasn’t much left to ship. Just no expensive electronics in checked luggage for fear it could “walk away”! Don’t forget to rent a big enough vehicle. Good luck, the key to a successful move in is to remain flexible and go with the flow. UM has lots of parent water stations around, take advantage of them. </p>

<p>It seems like yesterday we were dropping our S off and now he’s a new alum setting up his first apartment. Enjoy every minute of your D’s journey.</p>

<p>Thanks my-3-sons! Actually, my in-laws live 1 hr away, so we are shipping everything to their house, and taking their car. Makes this so much easier for us that way. Gotta find 8 suitcases (for me, H, D, and younger S who is coming along for the fun!!!) so we can take advantage of Southwest’s wonderful policy!!!</p>

<p>That’s great that you have family in the area and should help make things easier. We also brought our other boys with us for move in. My Cane loved showing his brothers where he would be going to school.</p>