Should DS pay enrollment deposit now?

<p>My DS is hoping to get the Presidential Scholarship, otherwise he won’t be attending UA, we won’t know for sure until after the Sept or Oct ACT test dates, is it worth risking our $200 enrollment deposit as it is not refundable? From what I have read the earlier you pay your deposit that better chance you will get your 1st choice room, is this correct?</p>

<p>Are you sure dorm priority is based on tuition deposit vs housing deposit? The housing deposit is $250 and $225 is refundable if requested before June 1.</p>

<p>We are brand new to this – just payed D tuition deposit and applied for UHP tonight; I don’t think I would depsoit $200 non refundible unless I was sure of attending – just my 2 cents.</p>

<p>lorlor67</p>

<p>No. Don’t send in the deposit yet. Housing priority is based on date of completing the housing application. The last date in order to get first crack at housing last year was October 20th. I would guess that Housing will publish the dates sometime soon for the 2012 freshman class. Until then, here’s the link to last year’s schedule so you can get an idea of how it plays out: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/selection_schedule.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/selection_schedule.cfm)</p>

<p>My son didn’t fill out the housing application until February or March and still ended up with great housing options.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! We will wait, I had a feeling I was needing to think through and read more about this…appreciate all your help.</p>

<p>Some clarification.</p>

<p>You need to do the enrollment deposit before you’re ABLE to submit the housing deposit (you can’t do a housing deposit w/o doing enrollment deposit FIRST.)</p>

<p>But, you don’t need to submit THIS early. You can if you’re sure your child will be going to Bama. </p>

<p>The housing issue doesn’t become an issue until around October (then first deposit, earliest housing choose date/time). So, you can wait to deposit in October and still have a very early “housing choice” date/time.</p>

<p>Note…If your child is going to want to have certain roomies…or definitely wants only frosh roomies, then depositing early (like Oct/Nov) is a good idea. The later you deposit, the later your selection time is. At that point, the favorite halls are either filled, or only have empty beds in suites that already have 3 upperclassmen in them.</p>

<p>In the past, those who’ve deposited later have complained that their fav dorm was full or that they can’t find a suite with 2 empty beds in it for their child and a selected roomie…or people have complained that their child is in a suite with upper classmen.</p>

<p>This is like booking a hotel room at a popular vacation destination. Those who book early, get the best selection. Those who decide to book later, have to understand that their child may not get their desired hall or get the roomie that they found on Facebook or wherever.</p>

<p>Thanks M2CK! I love all the help on this board!!</p>