Should I apply as a Freshman or Transfer?

Hello all!

I am a California resident looking to attend a UC in the near future (hopefully UCLA) and I’m a sophomore in high school. By the end of Senior year I’ll have all the credits needed to be considered a junior, from taking classes at my local community college.

I don’t know wether I should apply as a freshman or as a transfer through TAP. Which option would I benefit more in? I heard that transfers don’t get as much scholarships, but my family is doing well financially so it’s not a huge deal… although I prefer having the scholarships to reduce the cost for my parents.

My issue is more on getting accepted to UCLA, I do have backup plans but it’s close to home and their business economics program is amazing. I believe that transfer students have a higher chance but I’m not entirely sure. I am planning on joining my cc’s honors program by the time I turn 16 (over the summer).

Any information, little or great is very much appreciated!

If you take community college courses during High School, you would apply as a Freshman not as a Transfer. UC’s give little to no “scholarships/merit aid”. Most of the FA is need-based so you would be better off applying as a Freshman if costs are not a major issue.

Each school’s website has a Net Price calculator which can give an estimate of your costs.

http://www.financialaid.ucla.edu/Prospective-Student/Net-Price-Calculator

Should I continue to do the classes for IGETC, and transfer pathway? My goal is to obtain my bachelor’s degree in 2 years following my high school diploma, so basically having the credits to be a junior. I’ve gotten a lot of mixed answers, because some people say that UCLA has classes that you are required to only take with them.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Will all your Community college classes be UC transferable? If so, you would still have to take upper division courses at UCLA since they are not offered at a CC. Transfer applicants for the UC’s require a minimum 60 semester units so if you are able to accumulate that many and finish your IGETC by end of Senior year, it is possible to get your bachelor’s degree in another 2 years post HS graduation. My question is why the hurry?? You are only young once and you should enjoy your time in high school and college. Work and/or an advanced degree etc… will always be there regardless of how long you take to finish your Bachelor’s degree.

Yes a majority will be, 3 or 4 classes that I’ll be taking just for my own benefit won’t (business law, stat methods in bus & econ, intro to bus, intro to computers, etc.)

AP classes will cover most of the credits needed for my IGETC, if everything goes as planned of course. So why not go the extra mile, add some cc classes to complete the first 2 years of college? It saves money! I haven’t been in HS for long, but so far it’s a breeze (kinda lol). I’ve taken 3 AP classes during my freshman year (Bio: 5, Psych: 5, & USH: 4) and right now I’m taking 4… it’s definitely challenging but I figured out the best possible way for me to learn, complete assignments, etc.

I’d describe myself as an energizer bunny! I’m in my school’s jv cheer and varsity dance team, which keeps me insanely busy but I learned to manage my time. With football games, cheer comp, dance comp, and dance conventions… I’d say I’m not missing out in anything!

Plus, I feel like the first 2 years of college are geared towards finding out what an individual wants their major to be. It’s general ed classes. Already knowing what I want to pursue and having the time to complete the first 2 years while in HS, I found it the best option for me! Lol sorry I practically wrote an essay. :^)

BTW, I had to take Psych and US History through an online a - g approved class because it didn’t fit into my schedule.

you get like 70 years to be a grown up… and just 22 to be a kid… pump the brakes a bit and enjoy the ride.

Also, you need a high GPA to get into UCLA - I find it hard to believe you could maintain a 4+ with that kind of schedule. There are few people in the world capable of operating at that level long term - and virtually none of them are in high school.

That’s true. If it all gets too overwhelming I’ll slow down, but right now I’m set on getting ahead.

Though I do worry about my GPA… most classes I’m desperately holding on to an A- and I know HS won’t get any easier. My school operates on a block schedule which makes things easier for me, I have a 0 period and I’m only taking a total of 5 classes in school so I get out at 12:15 everyday (3 other classes are asynchronous online). My plan is bound to change and I might burn out… only time will tell.

the process of burning out sucks to go through and it sucks to watch - and you can tank your GPA which will limit your options post HS. Try to map a sustainable path to your desired destination. You, and everyone around you will be better for it. You really need to schedule in some down time. If you must take classes outside of HS - make them for personal interest, and don’t worry about their transferabilty.
If UCLA is where you want to go, you’ll need a 4.2 GPA and 1400ish SAT to be competitive and a little luck to get in.

Take AP classes you know you can ace and clock lots of hours studying for the SAT.

Good luck

@NCalRent Since I’m going to be a business major, do you think taking extra business classes (like you said for personal interest) will benefit me? Or is it not worth it? I’m pretty busy already, but I was thinking about making some space for a couple classes during the summer and the following school year.

I was thinking of something more like photography, painting or dance. You note you are pressed for time and are concerned about your GPA. I can’t imagine taking a couple of college level business classes would help on either front.