Should I apply ED2 or RD for Boston University?

Hello Everyone,

Merry Christmas! I plan on majoring in Mechanical/Civil Engineering when I go to college, and BU is the most selective school I’m applying to. Both it’s ED2 and RD are due on January 4th, and I’d have a better shot at getting in ED2 acceptance rate wise (33% vs RDs 18/19%).

Here are some of my financial, social, and academic Stats to give you a better idea of who I am:

-Black/African American Male from Upstate NY
-Single mother who makes less than 65K
-My Class Rank in my high school is 26/255
-For Math, I’m currently taking Honors Precalculus right now (it’s called ‘IB Math 1 Analysis Approaches’ at my high school)
-For Science, I took IB Chem SL last year and I’m taking AP Physics 1 this year. In IB Chem SL last year, my final grade was a 92% (lowest grade on my HS transcript).
-I’ve taken three AP courses, three honors courses, and seven IB courses between last year and this year. I earned a 5 in AP European History Sophomore year and a 5 in AP US History last year. I plan on taking the exams for IB English HL Literature A and AP Physics 1
-I earned a 1370 on my latest SAT in October (680 RW, 690 M). Not sure if I should submit this as it’s BARELY within BUs 50th percentile, but I probably won’t.
-I’ve been in Student Government for 3 years. I was Treasurer last year and I’m the Vice President this year.
-I’ve been in my schools Advanced Choir for 3 years, and I’m the treasurer of the group this year
-I’ve been in Spanish Club, Steam Club, and Bible Club for 2 years
-I wrestled for 2 years (9th and 10th grade)
-I have participated in indoor and outdoor track for 2 years after stopping wrestling due to my concussions (11th and 12th grade)
-I’ve had two jobs in the last year: Plato’s Closet from July 2021-March 2022, and Weis Markets from August 2022-Present
-I’d like to major in Mechanical Engineering at BU and do one of the ROTC programs there (probably Navy).

Let me know if you think I have a chance of getting in, and whether I should do ED2 or RD. My only thing about ED2 is that while I may have a better at getting in, I don’t want my other applications to be withdrawn without seeing my other schools financial aid first. Thank you!

Failure to meet your financial need is a legitimate reason to decline an ED acceptance. Since it is your first choice, I’d go with ED II.

1 Like

Thanks for the response! I’m glad to hear that, I thought ED was all or nothing regardless of financial aid.

Please ensure to run the net price calculator to see what BU will provide. If it shows a figure you can afford, then ED2. If not, then don’t. Read the agreement before signing.

Less than half of students submitted a test. I might not submit the test as 55% had a 700 on English and 78% in math. And engineering is likely higher. Perhaps I’m wrong in that as a URM perhaps the score would help.

Btw the overall acceptance rate for BU was 14% last year so RD will be lower. That’s another reason to ED…but only if the NPC works out. Also it doesn’t appear they offer Civil Engineering so if you might want to study Civil, BU might not be for you. Not sure why you like BU but people often consider GW a like school and they offer Civil, it’s an easier admit but they don’t meet need.

The other issue will be the Precalc and engineering whereas many students will be more advanced in math.

Still you are quite impressive and I wish you luck.

2 Likes

I appreciate your comment!! I know I’ll be a bit behind with math as I didn’t double up sophomore year, but I’m going to apply for engineering anyways. It’ll be hard, but going to this school would be a great opportunity. I’ll run this school in the net price calculator to see if things will work out, I’ve done that with UVM and Lehigh. I’ll also take a look and apply for GW RD! Not being able to do Civil at BU would suck if I didn’t like Mechanical, so I’ll keep my other schools in mind. As for my SAT, I’ll go test optional as both my RW and M are just below 700. Thank you again!

1 Like

Not saying GW is right for you. Just noting its urban-ness is similar to BU from that level. And if you might desire civil and if I’m correct BU doesn’t offer it then you should not ED.

It may not be right for you, especially if you like UVM and Lehigh.

Have you looked at Alabama?. You’d apply for auto merit of $24k but they also give $2500 for a single SAT of 1360. So your total cost would be $20kish. They also have a minority scholarship that gives free tuition and I believe housing. Not sure the deadline but it’s an easy app and they draw heavily from the NE.

Good luck.

1 Like

Apply by Jan 15

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/diversity-merit-scholarship/

1 Like

Screenshotted your last couple comments for the future! Thank you for the comments, I really appreciate your POV. :+1:t6: I’ll take a look at Alabama and do some last minute applications over the next week.

Although students and parents signing the ED agreement should do so after having made a reasonable effort to understand what the school might cost by using the school’s net price calculator. If the school offers a package that is not in range of the NPC results, or if a new hardship has emerged since the ED agreement was signed, that’s one thing. Applying ED without attempting to first understand the cost using the tool the school provides is a different matter, not that there is much BU could do about it if the student walks away.

4 Likes

Schools typically like to see three lab sciences. You mention chem and physics, but did you take bio?

1 Like

Definitely! I took high school Biology/Regents Living Environment in 10th grade.

2 Likes

You’re right about me using the net price calculator first before applying ED2! I’m leaning a bit more towards RD right now, but I’ll be sure to do the Calculations with my mom after Christmas today and before New Years

5 Likes