Should I apply?

<p>Hey there!</p>

<p>I really like the sound of Lewis & Clark. I love the Seattle area (I love rain and the surroundings, mountains and ocean) but how is Portland different? I also have a few questions I need to be answered.</p>

<p>1) I go to boarding school now in VA. It's a pretty good one, but it's expensive and since that's the case, my parents want me to go in-state/public so they don't have to pay much. How is your financial aid? Could I get a scholarship for a unique talent? I jump rope competitively at national tournaments (AAU Junior Olympics and USAJR Nationals) but that's really my only sport, so I don't have a chance with the normal school sports. Is this plausible?</p>

<p>2) I have gone to 3 different high schools for my 4 years of HS. Will this affect my chances?</p>

<p>3) I was in EXTREMELY competitive schools for my first two years of high school (Chapel Hill High School, and East Chapel Hill High School [Nationally ranked public schools]) so in turn, my grades weren't the greatest because the schools were so hard. They were mostly B's with a few A's and C's. My GPA was a 3.4 UW and 3.7 Weighted. Now at boarding school, we're on the 100 pt. scale and my grade average is about an 85. Will they take this into consideration? How do my grades stack up? (I am taking mostly AP courses and a few honors and very few regular.)</p>

<p>4) My SAT/ACT scores...which should I submit, or both?
SAT Math: 590
Sat Reading:570
SAT Writing: 570
ACT Composite: 25</p>

<p>Also what is the campus vibe like? I want to be a doctor, but with my grades I'm not sure if I could do pre-med. I have a job at Duke University Medicine doing DNA research in an Alzheimer's lab, doing karyotyping and looking at DNA samples. Will this help me get into pre-med? Should I put that on my application?</p>

<p>I know this is a long message but if you could answer as much as you can, I would REALLY appreciate it. I would really like to hear from someone at Lewis and Clark or someone familiar with it.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>~Drew</p>

<p>Welcome to the L&C board, I hope I can answer a few of your questions.</p>

<p>The Common Data Set for L&C is located here: <a href=“http://www.lclark.edu/live/files/7196-cdsc2010pdf[/url]”>http://www.lclark.edu/live/files/7196-cdsc2010pdf&lt;/a&gt; You can see in section C7 that Academic Rigor and your GPA are the most important items considered. Your scores and grades are a little bit low (sections C9 and C11). I think your 85 GPA is pretty much right on your previous grades (3.4).</p>

<p>FA is based on the FAFSA and the Profile (which takes into account family assets). Have you tried out a FAFSA forecaster to see how much your family might have to pay? Try one with an institutional method.</p>

<p>Premed is not a major. To be admitted into med school you just need to take certain classes, get good grades and take the MCAT. The major is irrelevant.</p>

<p>DD2 attends L&C and loves the school and Portland vibe. Students often sing in the coffee houses and they have many cool activities that keep the student body going.</p>

<p>Okay thanks or the reply. I figured my scores were a bit low. But this helps! Anywhere you would recommend?</p>

<p>Are you looking only at the coasts? I assume your parents can afford private schools? Do any in-state schools appeal to you (you need at least one safety)?</p>

<p>Only the coasts, I can afford private schools and I don’t like any of the in state schools in my range</p>

<p>Why don’t you go to the College Search Forum and post asking for recommendations there? You’ll get a broader range of responses. I mainly know schools in the midwest and a couple in Portland.</p>