Should I attend the YYGS-Yale Young Global Scholars program?

Hey everyone and as you can tell from the title, I got into the YYGS connect program. The problem was I applied for fun because I did not have PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores and my chances were near zero. I am an international student btw. But, my grades and essays were very good and the teacher recommendations were awesome. I also did not apply for financial aid as well. But I got admitted to the program for my second choice.
I absolutely have no idea what to do. I only applied to sort of understand how the admission process would work. The program is definitely expensive for me (an international student) but, my parents want me to attend the program.
I wanted to know whether attending the program would do any good (apart from experience and learning) to my college applications. I also read that these summer programs give admission to students who have half-decent grades and who are willing to pay a lot of money for 2 weeks. How true would that statement be?
Thanks for your time and have a great day!

1 Like
  1. The YYGS program is a great program- students get a lot out of it. It is more selective than the ‘if you have $$ & credible grades you are in’ programs.
  2. It will not give you an admissions bump to Yale, or any other school.

So: do it if you think that you would get a lot out of the experience.

ps, I don’t love reading that a student applied ‘just for fun’ and oops! just happened to get in. You wrote essays, asked teachers to spend their personal time writing letters of recommendation for you, and asked your parents to pay the application fee, after which the admissions team at Yale spent time reviewing your application (believing it to be serious) and then turned down other students to offer you the place. If it really was just a lark (or to see how admissions would work? really?) that would be extraordinarily poor form.

2 Likes

If you applied to more selective programs and are confident that you can get into at least one, don’t do yygs. If, on the other hand, this is your only opportunity…you should not remove it from your radar. YYGS is selective and if you do choose to do the program, you will have a Yale interviewer assigned to you if you choose to apply for Yale College. Additionally, the causation v. correlation idea comes into play. YYGS has had 30% of its alumni go to Yale College. I don’t know how much that’s changed in recent years as the program’s reputation continues to decline, but generally YYGS students are the most passionate and active students around the world. Some are admitted to the ivies, others are not. YYGS is a program for you to learn and meet others. The lectures are very intriguing.

Take this into account. If YYGS is not worth your time and poses a burden, don’t do it if you have another program that is cheaper and more prestigious. If this is your only program…i recommend you do so.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the reply! However, I do want to tell you that my statement does not correctly exhibit my intentions and it is absolutely true that I should have worded it much better. ‘Applied for fun’ was something unrealistic that I put in the post. Having no SAT, PSAT or ACT scores, I felt that my chances were near zero considering I was an international student. I was definitely hopeful for a positive result but I never expected it. I did put significant effort into crafting my essays into something that portrayed my uniqueness and my teachers were also helpful with their advice. Once again, I thank you for your time!

why does yygs not give a boost for admissions in your opinion? My counselor told me it is a program that is prestigious and helps chances.