Should I be more realistic?

<p>3.2 UW
3.5 W
2000 SAT
700 US
710 Lit
URM Black American</p>

<p>From this simple picture do I have any chance at an ivy/stanford/williams?</p>

<p>I should also add that I have a VERY unique story which I conveyed in my essay. I am hoping that this story can boost me into a good school, but I understand that if my stats aren't good enough than my essay doesn't matter.</p>

<p>Basically, am I in the game?</p>

<p>You never know until you try, but basically, you are really on the low end of ivy applicants accepted – especially with regards your gpa.</p>

<p>“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” - Wayne Gretzky
Just make sure you have a balanced list and you’ll be fine. Prepare to enroll at your safety school and be happy that you’re going to college next year. If you’re lucky, you’ll get into your top choice. If not, you’ll take your talents elsewhere. At least you won’t die stating that you should have applied to x school.</p>

<p>Go for it. You never know. But in any case you should always be prepared for rejection (especially when it comes to Ivy caliber colleges).</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>

<p>Does the story explain the GPA, and the idea that you can thrive, competing academically with the students at the schools you we applying to? Do you have some extroidinary EC /leadership stuff? Will/did you have time to do those APs AND some financial+academic matches and safeties? </p>

<p>And finally, are you sure you want to be there? My daughter pulled off a major reach in '08, and while she is happy now, she has had serious second thoughts about her choice.</p>

<p>Whatever you do, don’t follow Shrinkrap’s essay advice. The last thing you want to do is follow essay suggestions from people on CC. Do you honestly think that they would read your application if they felt that you were academically incompetent? No. Do you think that they need you to explain in your essay the idea that you are competent (it would be insulting for someone looking to be hired to tell a surgeon how to do their job)? No.
The process of admissions is designed to identify those that will be able to handle the work. After that, admissions officers try to identify those that will contribute most to the school community. And the way you need to express that is to tell them about yourself. Not your grades, but what makes you who you are. I am not trying to insult Shrinkrap at all, but CC is notorious for propagating admissions myths (go on some forums and people will tell you that you will not get into any of those schools without a 2200 which is complete bs). Just be yourself and hope for the best.</p>

<p>Thank you, everyone. I am bracing for rejection and hoping for the best. To answer Shrinkrap’s question, yes the story does explain my gpa and my straight A trend for the last 3 report cards should show them I can compete. Thebep, I agree with you, and no where in my essay do I tell them how to do their job. Although, in the “unusual circumstances” section, I go into greater detail of my unusual circumstance and then I say, “…because of this I encourage you to look at my trend.” I’m going to assume you would suggest I remove that line. Again, I appreciate everyone’s help and I’ll make sure to update come April.</p>

<p>@wishme, in the end, all applicants are in the same boat. Nothing is impossible. So, good luck and make sure you let us know what happened in April. I’ll do the same with results about my D because I think that the information will help those who will be applying next year.</p>

<p>I haven’t been here in a while, but I say go for it. You can’t get in if you don’t submit an app.</p>

<p>Honestly, if you weren’t black I would say it’s not worth it.</p>

<p>But since you have the URM status you have a shot.</p>

<p>To be blunt, no. Every category is out-of-reach for these schools. sorry but good luck.</p>

<p>Williams is a possibility (though a very small one) because they realllllly want diversity. As for the others, don’t keep your hopes up. People tend to overestimate URM status. But it’s worth a try if you have fee waivers or can spare the money. Make sure you have some good safeties lined up.</p>

<p>I think you should apply to those schools, but make sure that you have safeties!</p>

<p>Hey,
Let us know about your acceptances. It’ll be very helpful to next year’s class. I know I was ■■■■■■■■ for info like this when we were trying to narrow S’s school list.</p>

<p>Hi there! First off, I’m not a senior nor am I in college. However, I am a Junior looking into college with an outlook similar to Mouse’s. The only thing stopping you from from getting in is yourself. All you need to do is apply and the rest is in the hands of the admissions office. NOBODY is 100% sure about anything. So don’t be discouraged by anything here, someone will always tell you something different from the last. Stay positive. If not, expect nothing then you’ll be surprised either way. And no matter the decision, each one pushes you forward but the path you take is up to you.</p>

<p>@Sayzwho, we’ve been trying to get everyone to post their results in this thread: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/1046216-2015-african-american-results-thread.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/1046216-2015-african-american-results-thread.html&lt;/a&gt;, so check it out and see if it helps any.</p>

<p>WishMeLuck11: Good luck. I think your chances are far better than people on this thread are predicting. You can’t get admitted if you don’t apply. Keep us posted.</p>

<p>WML: Take a look at the results thread that @dignified1 posted, and other results threads posted on CC. You will see the acceptance rates of applicants who share a similar profile. You can also review admits at your target school to see if you are in the range of the students who were accepted. These should give you a pretty clear idea of how realistic or unrealistic your chances are the Ivys.</p>

<p>I think you have a chance if your story really is good. Hope you get in!!!</p>

<p>UPDATE! (for anyone who cares lol). Well, i haven’t heard back from any ivies yet, but I have gotten into UMASS, BU, and Quinnipiac University. I have been waitlisted at BC and Middlebury, and I’ve been RJ’d by Northeastern. </p>

<p>From this trend, it appears very unlikely that I will get into the ivies (S/W/A) to which I applied. I can only hope that my supplements and interviews give me a boost because all the schools listed above did not have either (BU had a supp but that’s it). No matter what, I am happy that this process is over and that regardless of what happens from here on out I will be the first one in my family to attend college! </p>

<p>Thanks again for all the thoughtful responses to my post! You are all so awesome.</p>