Should I bother Preparing for Nursing School

<p>I was originally a Bio major and decided to switch recently after realizing that the job outlook was low in the Biology field. I dreaded all my classes for my major but looking at the pre-reqs for Nursing program, I'm pretty excited. I was forcing Biology and now I feel less stressed about my classes. However, I have some hiccups on my transcript that I'd like to hear opinions about before even trying to switch majors. </p>

<p>I received C's in Gen Chem I and II and failed Calculus. However, when I retake Calculus, the new grade will completely replace the D I got the first time so as far as I know, schools may not see it. I'm currently enrolled in Organic Chemistry. However, it's not a required class for Nursing pre-reqs. (I have take a chem class that's a combination of intro to Orgo and Biochemistry). I'm struggling already in that class so I want to drop it before I mess up my GPA anymore. However, will Nursing programs look down on that? Is my transcript screwed already? Should I just say screw it and get it a different degree and work in an office? I'd love any and all help. Please be honest...</p>

<p>Hi, what does your college’s website said about the application process & admission requirement to their nursing program?<br>
Can you provide more info ?
I am assuming you already knew that students need to apply to get in the nursing school.
Unlike other majors, a student can’t "switch into it. " </p>

<p>Have you taken any of the pre-reqs ?such as Anatomy , Bio, etc.
Nursing programs have limited spots / seats so usually there are more applicants than seats available.
You can email your college to find out how many apply & how many spots are available & what the gpa is needed. Each school is different.</p>

<p>You are correct that organic chem is not needed so if you’ re still within the drop add period… Well you can think about that. Some schools need Statistic, some dont need Calculus. Check w/ your school or any other nursing programs you plan to apply to. Drop /add a class is very common. </p>

<p>Thanks for the reply @FlowerMom‌ . I spoke with an advisor Friday. I still have many pre-reqs to take and no, I thought I could switch to Nursing and would just have to apply for nursing school (How wrong I was!). My GPA is quite low, but with the pre-reqs, I’ll bring it up. I guess I’m just worried that with what I have now, am I already set up for failure. I realize every program is different, but I just don’t want to do all this work to complete the pre-req courses just to basically have no options. </p>

<p>Hi,
Most / or probably just about all pre-nursing students / anyone interested in nursing
will apply to lots of nursing programs , in addition to the college you are in. So be sure to check other colleges in your state that also have a nursing program.</p>

<p>You can also do some volunteering if you want to get an idea of what nurses or health care ppl do, if you are not sure about nursing.</p>

<p>If you are interested in nursing, you can still register for the nursing pre- reqs class if the drop add period is still open, A & P class is very important, then microbio, regular chem, etc.
My other D is taking all these classes now so yes, it can be very time consuming but it can be done.
Good Luck</p>

<p>Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. I would look into some other health care fields, such as Practical Nursing. Many of the needed classes would overlap with those other programs. </p>

<p>By the way, you could make an argument on your application that you had trouble with calculus, but you realize it is not applicable to or required for nursing school. The important thing is to be able to prove you did well in science.</p>

<p>@Charliesch‌ Yes, I know Calc isn’t a requirement. My retaking it is to not only better my GPA, but my transcript. I’d rather have those 2 Cs and 1 W than that grade. I’m just hoping that my grades from here on out (especially in pre-req courses) shine brighter than those 2 hiccups my freshman year and this year (the W)</p>

<p>Just an idea - would you be better off putting your energy into getting As in required pre-reqs instead of straining yourself to pass a non-required calc class? I think a nursing school can understand that not everyone is good at calc, but you really need to prove yourself in the sciences.</p>