Should I change my major to engineering?

<p>I have a big problem. I am already admitted as a liberal arts major and very excited about it. But, I am not 100% decided on my major and am still considering math, physics, and mechanical engineering. I have been told that I should change my major to engineering, while I still can (which I can, check this morning). Because in a couple weeks, engineering will be full and it will be too late. I can always change back to liberal arts in the spring if I want to go back. </p>

<p>Currently, I want to be in liberal arts more than engineering. But, it seems to make sense to put engineering on paper until I decide. However, I really like the liberal arts honors program, A LOT. It is the entire reason I applied to TAMU. I am afraid I might end up excluded from the Cornerstone program if I change, even if I change back in time. I am afraid I will look less committed or something. Or I will change back too late.</p>

<p>First, you need to pursue something you enjoy AND are good at. If that’s engineering, then great. If not, majoring in engineering will suffocate you. Are you aware that only about 1 out of every 3 engineering majors at A&M graduates in 4 years (data on every major is publicly available)? Many engineers take 5 or even 6 years. Depending on whose paying the bills, that may need to be factored in.</p>

<p>The above said, I am not a fan of majoring in Liberal Arts – as defined by the majors listed under A&M’s college of Liberal Arts. The world has changed. You need marketable skills upon graduation, unless you have a large trust fund or marry into wealth … (I realize this will hack some people off, but the job market is what it is … )</p>

<p>Given your post, I would suggest starting in physics. Physics is largely applied math combined with ‘thinking’ and, as such, is the Liberal Arts major of the STEM world – other areas in the STEM world are largely applied physics. Provided your grades are decent, you can switch from physics into almost anything – engineering, business, geo sciences, etc. If you’re grades aren’t that good, your options are limited.</p>

<p>The final decision is yours of course. Just my $0.02 – or $0.03 now that the FED ha decided upon free money forever …</p>

<p>I will have AP Chem and AP Physics B (which will not transfer in because it was not C, which is calculus based, so, I cannot use it for a STEM degree, which is fine), AP Math AB AND BC. I will have over 50 transferable AP credits for A&M. I am actually probably most interested in physics and math, but also have been considering engineering (materials to be specific, so I would need mechanical engineering) and linguistics. I love linguistics actually and loved the Cornerstone program, so I put down International Studies as my first choice major (not quite linguistics, but I can take linguistics as part of the major). Now I am thinking that is a mistake. I can change to Liberal Arts later, but it would be much harder to go the other way, to engineering.</p>

<p>undecided - if you are thinking engineering at all, I would register for that major while you still can. Possibly things have changed but in the past the majors that you could not swap into were: engineering, business, architecture, psychology & one more ( I can’t remember) because they get completely filled. Other fields were open at NSC when you could change your mind. Those majors would require you to ‘reapply’ for the majors at a later date with completed units - much more difficult & competitive. I’d suggest you switch to the most difficult to obtain (engineering) then research what you really want (engineering,physics, liberal arts).</p>

<p>During freshman year of Engineering you will take a year of Physics & Mathematics, so you won’t have much trouble switching to a Physics or Math major if that is what you want to do. On the other hand, without Engr 111 & 112 you will have a lot of trouble finishing engineering on time if you decide to switch from Physics or Math. So, starting off in engineering might be a good idea, if you have not decided.</p>