Should I do Galileo Housing?

<p>Galileo</a> Engineering Learning Community for Men | Communities | Living-Learning Communities | Housing & Residence Life | DSA | Virginia Tech</p>

<p>Hey guys as most of you probably already know what the Galileo Program for engineers is, I am debating whether or no I should do this program. The only reason I would do it is for the academic standpoint. Does living with engineers actually help you any more than if you lived in a regular dorm? Has anyone on this forum participated in the program and how did they like it? </p>

<p>I have a very good potential room mate (non engineer), who I would room with if I did not do this program. I am wondering if I opt out of this program am I passing up a chance that could have potentially helped me through tough classes freshman year (that would be my only reason to participate in this program)?</p>

<p>Also, if someone else on this forum can share experiences of deciding to participle or opt out of the Galileo program could shed some light on this subject, that would be great. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Run a search, there’s been a few threads.</p>

<p>Here’s what I’ve been sending people:</p>

<p>Pros:

1. Resumes and other career guidance are good (the staff is pretty lame, but they’ll hook you up with career services–THEY are the people you want to talk to)
  2. Assignments and planning related ones especially will be helpful. They’ll feel like a pain at the time and if you’re a motivated student you’ll do them anyways. Just be sure to format it in their sometimes unpractical way to get the full points.</p>

<p>Pro/Con
3. People you live with: if you’re lucky, you’ll be around good people. My corner section was pretty noisy and the habits around weren’t the best, but some guys really luck out and find good people to hang out with and do work with. You didn’t mention if you’re in honors; are you? This situation is pretty similar to any other hall you’re in; however, it’s a little different. Engineers typically have similar habits: staying up late, gaming, general procrastination. By living around other engineers your own habits may be amplified, making matters worse. Just be aware of that fact and that you’ll need to put a lot of hours in to survive.</p>

<p>Cons:

1. The lecture is a COMPLETE WASTE OF YOUR TIME. ABSOLUTE WASTE. Pray that you get Ryan because he’s at least pretty cool. Make sure that you attend every lecture and night session though or else your grade gets tanked. The class should be an easy A; like all of your other freshman level classes, it will largely be about if you can successfully find the time to put in the work.
  2. They say assignments are optional, but really just do all of them.</p>

<p>If you’re in Honors and are really a motivated student looking to make some moves in college and get ahead of the pack, Galileo may not be for you. They mean well, it’s just that you will spend a lot of time wondering why you’re working on mostly lame assignments. It is probably better than being in another dorm (not the honors dorms or RLC, however) but your mileage may vary. It wouldn’t hurt to turn in the application since you can always turn it down.
Honors will DRASTICALLY shrink the size of the school for you and those are the people you want to have as faculty advisors and friends. Galileo does have social events, but they’re poorly planned because the second and third year mentors typically do not care that much and just want to get a grade in their own Galileo class. You seem like a nice person and your concern/interest in things most likely means you’ll meet people in Galileo and have a strong group. I’m ‘extremely’ (not really though, just comparatively) driven compared to the people I’ve met so I don’t really hang out with Galileo guys as much, but I don’t really hang out too much anyways haha. Wherever you live, there’s nothing wrong with not being all buddy-buddy with your hallmates. Sure you guys respect each other and say hey and help out with work, but you don’t need to spend every moment of your time with them. And I encourage you to not do that, actually.</p>

<p>As for getting in, I doubt they turn anyone down. The program overspilled the number of rooms in Lee so they bumped a few guys into Slusher (lucky them except for how HOT that building is when it’s warm.) If you’re an honors student, doing your course of study planner and meeting other driven students will put you far ahead of other students just doing Galileo. </p>

<p>In summary, it’s hard to say whether Galileo benefited me or not. I had a pretty successful first year so changing where I lived is too big of a variable to talk about its effect.</p>

<p>I was in Galileo Fall 2009+Spring 2010. It may have changed, but I doubt it changed too much since then.</p>

<p>thanks so much…i had son apply to galileo thinking it would be cool to be in engineering dorm…he’s in honors also…is it better to be in honors dorm??
also (such a mom question- embarrassed!) extra long or regular size sheets needed for beds?</p>

<p>DS fairly certain applying for galileo. figures it will be easier to find folks anywhere who want to “play” but would be harder to track down classmates who want to study. figures if he lives with them, he’ll know when they are studying. he’s an athlete and a very social person, so somewhat apprehensive about being in a dorm full of engineers. hope he does it anyhow. kayak, we are from Sev. Park</p>

<p>I did not do any engineering housing or honors or RLC and from an outside perspective I do not feel like they would help that much. You will have engineers on your hall no matter what dorm you’re in and the first semester classes aren’t that hard where you need an entire hall of engineers to get together to do the homework or study. Just because you’re in Galileo doesn’t mean you will get great grades. You’ll do well based on whether or not you put in the time individually.</p>

<p>It’s probably a good program and you probably meet/live with smart people, but don’t do it because you think it’s somehow necessary to do well in engineering because it’s not.</p>