Should I do private or public housing?

<p>I was most likely going to just live in a residence hall (if I do end up attending UW) like Ogg or Sellery. However, today I received a huge collection from the UW Madison Private Housing Connections about Lucky101 and Regent101, and I must say they look really nice. Is there anyone who lived/lives in one of those residence halls, or any other private one that is on campus, that can tell me about it? Any advice or comments would be appreciated! Thanks</p>

<p>There have been several threads on that topic over the last few years. You can use search to find them. Basically if you are OK with less luxurious lifestyle the public dorms are fine and have some other benefits.</p>

<p>Over the last few years…well, you do know that they update residence halls and create new ones as the years pass, right? So looking at posts on here from 2008 would be pretty irrelevant. But thanks for your reply.</p>

<p>Yes but the basic arguments and reasons still apply. Your chances at one of the newest dorms are just that–a chance. The privates are a sure thing. But the privates are more dominated by out of state and internationals so if you want to mingle more you might miss that. And there were many posts in the last year that apply. Hardly out of date. Actually most who have been here over 6 months have seen the arguments and are tired of repeating them. That’s why you are not getting any responses. But don’t listen to me. You obviously know more.</p>

<p>Why should I have to dig deep into last year’s posts when I can just make a new one? That’s what this forum is for. Thanks for the help but I don’t appreciate your little comments.</p>

<p>Nor I yours. But I’m from NJ too and I thought you could handle it. NJ most be going soft.</p>

<p>Yo, there’s been several posts in the last couple of months (not 2008) about Private Dorms, the advantages/disadvantages of SE vs. Lakeshore, lots of posts about Chad, about Ogg vs. Sellery & Witte, etc. </p>

<p>Instead of sniping back and forth, why don’t you take 15-20 minutes use the “Search this Thread” type in Private Dorm, read those posts and the ones surrounding them, and then…if you need to, come back and ask a more specific question, ask away…but as someone who’s been reading these threads several times a week, and for a while, even daily…as Barrons indicates, gets frustrating when you see the same posts over and over.</p>

<p>Don’t worry reglob, Barrons thinks he owns this forum and treats everybody like the scum of the earth we all are.</p>

<p>Back to the question, do whatever you feel is more comfortable. If slightly nicer living (bathroom, quieter, better condition, etc…) is a big factor to you, go private. If meeting new people, being extremely close to friends on your hall, shared bathrooms not being a huge factor to you, louder, more festive atmosphere, go public.</p>

<p>Trenchant.</p>

<p>The private dorms are really nice. They are nicer than public dorms. They are a little more isolated though, and I would honestly recommend the public dorms as someone who lived there (but I spent time at the private dorms as well). Where are you from? Most people living in the private dorms are from out-of-state. You can and will make friends anywhere you go, but it is kind of a different culture in some ways. Many of the students in the private dorms are also fairly wealthy, so if you aren’t it can be a little weird sometimes just because you may not have the things they have or be able to go out as much as they do, etc. But that’s not a big deal. There’s less of a “dorm” feel in the private dorms as well, which can be both a positive and a negative. It’s just about what’s important to you.</p>

<p>And all the previous threads about this (including ones from 2008) still have a lot of good information.</p>

<p>Thank you RoxSox and countrygentleman for actually answering my questions. I am OOS, from New Jersey. Yeah I figured that the private res halls are more isolated. Hmm. Hard decision. Thanks!</p>

<p>How much more expensive are they</p>

<p>The Lucky is smack in the middle of the east end of campus and across the street from the tower dorms - not exactly isolated. The Regent is near Camp Randall and is a bit more out of the way. The privates will be more expensive than the public dorms.</p>

<p>My son lives in Statesider and loves it. He loves the “hip” location and the dorm offers very nice amenities. Students are from all over the country-east coast, west coast and midwest. They did a great job matching roomates and the people who work there are extremely helpful and very friendly. He also has some close friends living in Sellery and they are also happy. They do visit Statesider often so he really doesn’t feel isolated. If you can visit the campus you will get a better feel for the difference. If you do not have any good friends going to Madison I might suggest the public dorms because he did say Statesider was a little cliquie-but he already had close friends living at Statesider and Sellery which helped alot and he has a super roommate.</p>

<p>Many reasons to not have to redo our old posts. The opinions and information remain the same. Note the Statesider above comment about already knowing people. Res Halls, the public dorms, do a good job with keeping up their dorms. The newest dorm will add Lakeshore capacity. There are no bad dorms. I also think some students have unrealistic expectations of life at age 18. Do the homework- don’t expect us to do all of it for you. Also do not expect the same luxuries your parents may give you. </p>

<p>The question of public or private depends on the individual. You determine the college experience you want. Most freshmen will be in Res Halls. The food service is excellent- with no minimums, ability to eat in any facility, etc. You get to know people from here and elsewhere, including many who can’t afford the private places. I personally would have hated living on State St- one reason I chose Lakeshore and was glad son did (different areas).</p>

<p>“Should…” - my answer is Res Halls. See my old posts.</p>

<p>One thing I have heard from people out of state (and specifically from the East Coast) is that they were somehow made to believe that the private dorms are THE option if you are from out of state. I think the private dorms market pretty heavily to out of state students, more so than in-state. The public dorms were never really something most of the people I know who live in private dorms considered. A lot of people from out of state live in the private dorms so maybe they all tell their friends to live there, counselors I think kind of push them towards that option (in the interest of being with students from the same area).The private ones have a very East Coast culture to them, which could be comforting if you are from there. Certain places are better for certain kinds of people, I’d say.</p>

<p>Many OOS students live in Res Halls. Lets you interact with the locals outside of class more and easier to get together when you eat and sleep in the same places. Your choice whether to fully integrate yourself with the majority or not.</p>

<p>Res Halls .</p>