Should I even bother?

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I was just wondering what my chances would be of getting into the UC’s. I’m an entering Senior this year.</p>

<p>Here what i have so far:</p>

<p>GPA: 2.54 (10-11) (i know its not so great, but only one aspect)
SAT: 1860; 700 Math, 590 Writing, 570 Reading
ACT: 28
<em>by the way, i will be retaking both of those very soon</em></p>

<p>This Year I’m be taking
AP Stats</p>

<p>I’ve already taken (didn’t do so well though)
AP World History - 1
AP United States History - 2
AP Physics B - 3</p>

<p>Varsity Tennis for 2 Years
Track and Field for 2 Years
Cross Country for 1 year</p>

<p>Taken Computer Science at my local CC and got an A
Taking Visual Basic there now</p>

<p>Community Service: I also have been serving at my church every other week since February.</p>

<p>In about 3 clubs. I’m also planning on creating one this coming year.</p>

<p>Ethnicity: African American</p>

<p>So what do you think?</p>

<p>Your GPA needs to be at least a 3.0.</p>

<p>that's what i thought.</p>

<p>but would i even have a chance if i go by examination alone?</p>

<p>I actually would go for UCR, UCM, UCSC. They sometimes let in those with <3.0GPAs here and there.</p>

<p>I'd honestly say UCM would be a match and UCR, UCSC slight reaches</p>

<p>really? even with uc gpa that low?</p>

<p>because i wouldn't want to waste time and money on taking another SAT II if I'm not going to have a chance at all.</p>

<p>The bigger question is why UC? Sometimes kids get enamored of getting into ANY UC when one of the Cal State's might be a better fit. Since the minimum GPA is 3.0, you cannot count on admission at a UC. (I know exemptions exist but do not know how they are doled out) If you are determined to go to a UC, then your best bet is to attend a CC and transfer. CC transfers get top priority in UC admissions. Since admissions are unpredictable though, you can always take the SAT II and hope for the best. Good luck.</p>

<p>Well UC because its cheap, better rep than some csu's for grad school, but they are not my only option. I am applying to the cal polys and sdsu</p>

<p>so would you think it is worth it?</p>

<p>Where else are you applying?</p>

<p>umm</p>

<p>Case Western Reserve University
Illinois Institute of Technology
University of San Diego
University of the Pacific
Purdue University
Ohio State university: columbus
Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly san luis obispo
San Diego State</p>

<p>GPA kills you at Case and Ohio State. Purdue seems like a stretch too.</p>

<p>well for case and ohio my 9-11 gpa is 3.1</p>

<p>with that gpa maybe you should try some other not as competitive csu...</p>

<p>I suggest you add one or two more safeties, because this year may be a bit unpredictable due to the huge numbers of kids in your class. Maybe Sonoma State as a super safety? My friend's daughter got rejected from SDSU last year with a 3.9 GPA. I think USD is a reach as well. CSU released a press release suggesting students apply early this year as they will definitely not be taking any applications after the stated deadline (of October 30th ?). The 3.1 will certainly help you out with Case and Ohio. Good luck!</p>

<p>wow rejected from SDSU with 3.9? what were her scores??</p>

<p>I thought the filing period was nov.1 - nov. 30th? eh, i'll check later.</p>

<p>but thanks for the input!</p>

<p>Last year SDSU had the largest number of applications they have ever had. Same with CSULB. I know many students who opted for less well known CSU's and had no problem, even those whose grades were not great. Chico and Sonoma State were popular with many students last year. </p>

<p>I had a student with about grades, but lower test scores who didn't get into Cal Poly Pomona last year. </p>

<p>I have a son at USD - race might help you with admissions there. There is not a lot of racial and ethnic diversity at the campus!</p>

<p>I would get my application as soon as possible, which, I believe begins today - October 1st. Applications close on November 30th. You will need to type in your academic transcript - grades from 9th grade on. It is easy to apply and won't take too long to complete. </p>

<p>UC opens on November 1 and runs until November 30th.</p>

<p>You might have a chance at Cal Poly SLO because of your 700 Math SAT score and because Cal Poly SLO figures grade 9 into your GPA which should help you. The other Cal States do not include grade 9 into your GPA.</p>

<p>ipodless: test scores were average, not great. She was also waitlisted at USD. Also is a URM. Not many AP's though and from a school that doesn't have a great reputation for academic excellence, although they do manage to get a few seniors into UCLA, Cal, and the occasional Ivy every year. This same student would have been welcomed with open arms at both of those schools two years ago.</p>

<p>oh for an update, i calculated my uc gpa and i believe i have a 2.79</p>