Should I even prepare for SAT/ ACT? Trying to get into A&M and I'm not in the top 10%

<p>I'm trying to get into Texas A&M, but I'm not in the top 10% (top 15% is what I am in), my SAT score I estimate should be around 1550-1650, with little to no preparation. I'm coming from a school where avg. SAT score is about a 1450. I know I my application would not shine to A&M, because I have no ec, am I outside the top 10%, and raising my critical reading to a 650 would be pretty freaking difficult. I could also get in if I do very well on the ACT, but I've never taken a practice ACT, so I do not know what it is like (I do have a prep book however).</p>

<p>I actually bought the blue book, Barron's SAT, and some other good ACT prep book as well. I was planning to study about 90 minutes or more everyday for 2 months for the SAT, and then do the same for the ACT after taking the SAT. However, do you think improving my critical reading by about 200 points is really possible in a couple of months?</p>

<p>I'm more than willing to put in the work, but I have another option! I am currently a high school junior, and if I transfer schools within the next 2 weeks or so (before the new 9 weeks begin and before the current 9 weeks end), I should be able to easily land inside the top 10% at some far less competitive school. In other words, a really "dumb" school. This school is right by my house, but it is not in my district. I do have an address to use though.</p>

<p>I actually do not want to switch schools, but if this will ensure my acceptance into Texas A&M, then I am more than wiling to do so. Anyway, what do you think? Do you think I can get a 30 on my ACT or a 1300 ( Math & CR combined) on the SAT, or should I really consider transferring if I want to ensure my acceptance into A&M? </p>

<p>Irrelevant, but Texas Tech is my backup school right and I am trying to get into a Petroleum Engineering program at either schools, and of course, preferably at A&M.</p>

<p>Yes, It’s doable
I had 1040 SAT (Reading400,Math640)for the first time in May 2012 without any preparation. And then during the summer break, I started studying the blue book and Princeton Review as well as the vocabulary( by the way, I only do the reading sections on each book and study like average 30 words a day)
It really paid off; I had 1370( reading 600, Math 770) in December.
On the side note, English is my second language and I have been learning it for only 2 years. I am assuming that you are a native speaker; you should be fine if you study hard.</p>

<p>Switching school may not be a good idea because from what I have heard, some schools will not rank you if you have not been there for certain amount of time. You should contact the counselors at that school, but I don’t think they would love to answer this kind of questions; it’s kind of like cheating on the system</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. pretty motivating. I will study for both the sat and the act… Take them both this semester and take them one or twice next semester. And yes I am a native speaker, and but dng you make me feel like an idiot… I’ve been in the states most of my life picking up English when I was only about 5 yrs old. I’ve also always been in the gifted and talented program… My sat scores are pathetic… Ehh maybe the act would be better for me</p>

<p>However I WILL continue to do some investigating on weather switching schools would be a safe option for me</p>

<p>Sent from my EVO using CC</p>

<p>ACT is a lot easier than the SAT, in my opinion. I became an Academic Admit with my ACT score. My SAT score wouldn’t have qualified me.</p>

<p>It is not cheating, it is integration. The reason we have a 10% rule is because segregationists refused to integrate. So, you will be doing what the rule was designed to achieve. By attending a weaker school you increase diversity. That is a positive thing both for you and the school. For example, students at this school may not know about CC, so if you share this info., it may improve the overall performance at that school :)</p>

<p>Yes, you have to make sure that a class rank will be available when you apply to A&M in the Fall of senior year. So, go to the school and tell them that you or your family are thinking of moving to the area and you would like to know how the move will impact your class rank, so you can make a decision on when to move. The only people who are irritated by such questions would be segregationists. Ignore them and ask another counselor or someone else if you bump into one. </p>

<p>In my son’s case he had the option to attend four schools. One where he would automatically be in the top 1%. This one was recommended by the school district. He could also attend two other schools where he would have been in the top 5-10%. The fourth where he was outside the top 25%. He decided to stay at the most competitive school because he liked the competition and felt it encouraged him to work harder. Ultimately, he became a National Merit semifinalist and was accepted to A&M Engineering in December. So, he got admission but he also got stats that he may not have had at another school, such as NMSF, 700+ on SAT and SAT Subject Tests. Junior year he took 5 APs and scored 4,5,5,5,5.</p>

<p>In my son’s case he actually moved the other way. He had graduated from elementary and middle schools that were very weak. The competitive high school created obstacles because there were some segregationist policies in place, that discourage integration. However, he has benefitted from the experience, both socially and academically.</p>

<p>Definitely take the ACT. It is a very different test. There should be some on-line practice ones you can take that will give you an idea of how you will perform. Also, it is not too late for some ECs–including getting a job, volunteering at local charity over the summer. </p>

<p>Changing schools your senior year can be a big deal–will you engage in your new school and will the counselors/teachers know you well enough to write letters of recommendation? Also–how will you answer the question–why did you change schools? Are you committing any kind of fraud to switch to this school? It is one thing to have options to pursue different programs in the same district, it is another to knowlngly use a fake/rental property address to go to a different school. I am not assuming you are doing this, but I know it is done in our area (mainly for sports purposes, we don’t have the 10% rule in our state).</p>

<p>While this approach could get you admitted, will you qualify for PetE and if not, what do you see yourself studying otherwise? </p>

<p>Good luck in your decision-making process. I am sure you will have your choice of several good schools. Hopefully A&M is one of them.</p>