Should I make a last minute change and save money or go with the college I already committed to and burn my money but enjoy the college experience?

Is this decision like choosing between ASU and NAU if you live 20 miles from Flagstaff? I know people with good outcomes, especially grad school, that did well at NAU.

Maybe you can get into the Kent Honors College after freshman year.

Sounds like if you can get on board with Kent that would be your best option. You say you’d be comfortable in your bed at home. You’d get max credits from AP courses. You’d still be able to get involved in clubs, etc. You’d get a good CS education and you’d have way less debt. Let us know what Kent says. Good luck to you.

4 Likes

When I applied I applied for Kent’s honors college and was accepted. I assume the offer still holds since Kent still is emailing me to commit. So I’d be in honors off the bat probably.

5 Likes

Eyemph, you make a great point about there being no advantage to attending an elite college once you control for high school record. So, I think it’s worth being repeated and emphasized.

In fact, one study found that the best predictor of future success is NOT what college a student attended BUT what college a student was accepted at. In other words, students who are accepted at Harvard are highly likely to be successful regardless of whether they attend Harvard or their State U.

2 Likes

This is what you said:

I asked what you meant because this is a pledge that everyone should take. College students. Non-college students. Kids who live on campus. Kids who commute. Not sure why you would single out someone looking to take part in the “full college experience” unless you thought getting drunk was a very big part of said experience.

And I agree its an issue. Though 2 college aged kids killed in crash earlier this year with no drugs/alcohol involved. Everyone wearing seatbelts.

In terms of loans being worth it, depends on what the other options are. And the various studies I have seen look at averages. Average amount paid, average loan balance and average salaries (to start, at x year intervals). What if you aren’t average?

But, about $16K of that is room and board? Is that correct?

I believe that’s elite vs flagship. Once you get to regional or local universities, I have found that job opportunities are much different.

A key is also to stay focused on graduation, even with debt. Many students extend their time in college by working significant hours in a job paying $15 or less an hour.

Yeah that’s right. The majority of that 16k would be room and board.

So, after you and your parents each contribute $5K we’re essentially talking about a $9K gap. You mention a $5500 sum resting in a 529 account, so I’m assuming that’s a one-shot deal.

At the end of four years that only comes to $36,000 in loans - and, that’s before applying whatever’s in the 529 plan. :neutral_face:

Nope. I don’t know how you figure that. I’m paying 19k per year minus the 5000 me and my family chip in. So 14k per year in loans total. Times 4 possibly. So that’s up to 56k minus the 6000 in savings still 50k. Without interest. If I don’t live with my parents after I graduate there will also likely be a lot more interest accumulated over the payment period.

Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you meant your parents were paying 5000 and you were paying another 5000. So, your parents can only afford $2500 in out of pocket expenses and you don’t qualify for Pell grants? :no_mouth:

Okay, but just to be clear: that’s almost half what was making people lose their minds just a little while ago. It probably won’t sway the consensus, but it really depends on what @Bill_Marsh was alluding to: Can you have fun without drinking and driving for the next four years?

Let’s put this to rest. Anyone can do this. It’s even MORE likely if you’re not driving home to your parents. This is a gross mischaracterization of what the “typical college experience” boils down to. Responsible kids will Uber or have a DD no matter where they live.

2 Likes

I don’t see why not, people crash with people who live on campus or off campus all of the time, even when my kids were in college they had friends visit and they visited other friends at other colleges a lot. Even high school kids where I live don’t drive to parties. These kids grew up ubering too.

I definitely do not see me drinking being a problem. I don’t plan to drink, especially underage.

3 Likes

That’s great cuz you’re the only person on this board qualified to answer that question.

1 Like

Let’s nit put it to rest. To be so dismissive about such a serious matter is irresponsible.

Commuting a distance by car puts kids in harm’s way regularly - especially if campus becomes the center of their social world. Saying yep that “ANYONE can do this . . .” Simply dismisses everything we know about the driving records of young drivers and what we know about brain research and judgment of late adolescents. Of course anyone CAN do this. That’s not really the point. The issue is whether anyone WILL do this - and in this case the OP in particular. I know that it can be done, and that’s precisely the reason why I asked the OP if he can make the commitment to not getting behind the wheel of a car impaired.

I have no idea why you say that my comment was “a gross mischaracterization of what the ‘typical college experience’ boils down to.” Are you that naive? First of all, I never said that it “boils down” to anything. It was the OP who said that as a commuter, he would be ‘sacrificing so much fun and the majority of the ‘college experience’.” I have no idea what he was vaguely referring to, so I didn’t make any assumptions about what he meant - one way or the other. But I know full well that when college kids get together to have “fun”, in many cases that fun involves alcohol. I thought that the risks of being in that situation put him at risk. I think that the responsible thing is to make sure that he is aware of this going in.

I have no idea why more than one person of this forum is affronted by a reference to the fact that many college kids drink, and that drinking & driving is deadly. Of course kids can Uber or crash at a friend’s but unfortunately too many don’t. The slaughter on America’s highways is testimony to this.

7 Likes

Being a programmer myself, I wouldn’t recommend that much debt for a bachelors degree. There are up/down swings in the market and you really don’t want that much extra debt hanging over your head. I know this because I took out that much debt for a masters degree, and life doesn’t make it easy to pay down. I promise, your older-wiser self will go back in-time to thank you later
because you will probably be the dude who invented the time machine in the first place. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No one is suggesting otherwise. What’s raising hackles is the suggestion that THAT is what defines the “typical college experience.” THAT is a part of being a young person irrespective of where they go to to college, irrespective of whether or not they even go to college. Your advise is germane to the OP whether or not they commute, but you didn’t frame it that way.

3 Likes

It is a fact that teen/young adult drunk driving has been decreasing since the 90’s, I think by close to 50%. It’s still a problem, because although teens are less likely to drive under the influence than older adults, they are more likely to be in accidents.

1 Like