Should I put stuff I talked about in my essay in additional information?

My essay talks about some of the reasons I did poorly in freshman year, and wasn’t sure if I should add said reasons in the additional information section. A teacher said I should, but I feel it makes my app redundant.

Generally it’s best to avoid redundancy.

Generally, if there is something to explain about poor grades, that would be best in the additional info section, not the personal statement (main essay). Is your HS counselor also addressing your freshman year grades?

ETA: Think about your personal statement as a way to let the AOs get to know you, what’s important to you, your best qualities, what makes you, you. If you are explaining poor performance in that essay, is the essay leaving them with the impression and information you want it to?

3 Likes

Your teacher knows specifics that you have not shared here (and do not need to share) so it might be better to ask another who is familiar with your situation.

Assume you are applying to selective holistic admissions colleges. If so, remember the essays are there to convince the school why you belong and what you will contribute. You use your past to illustrate what you can bring in the future.

I hope your essay did not use your freshmen year adversities primarily as an excuse for poor grades, but rather frame them as challenges you met and subsequently overcame, demonstrating characteristics such as persistence, resolve, introspection. An essay that comes off as whiny is likely to put the applicant in the reject pile.

In any event, I would not put this adversity in 2 places. If we are talking a physical illness or major family issue, it is more credible for your GC (and/or LoR writer) to address this.

2 Likes