Should I really apply to UC Santa Barbara?

Greetings CC,

I’m currently doing college applications and my friends and family want me to apply to UC Santa Barbara. The problem is that I’m not anxious to go to UCSB.

Shocker, I know.

The first reason is that I seriously want to go to northern California more than anything in the whole word for my college experience. I visited there and I felt like I was in heaven. Secondly, the vibe doesn’t exactly match me. I want to go to a college that is big on athletics, but UCSB isn’t so much. UCSB is more of a “party” school, and I do not like to party. I’m aware that parties are everywhere but the general consensus about partying does match with UCSB. People make a big deal about the beach too, which makes me frustrated. Third, I would rather go to the colleges I am going to list than UCSB and I do need another safety.

Reaches: UC Berkeley & UC Los Angeles
Matches: Fresno State, San Diego State, San Jose State, & UC Davis
Safeties: Humboldt State & ???

Plus, I am going to major in Statistics (or at least focus) and San Jose State is the better choice for that. So why apply to a school that is harder to get into if you don’t want to go there? I am talking about the undergraduate experience, not graduate!

I’m planning to use UC Merced as my other safety (as it being the only safety in the UC system), so would this be the better choice or should I apply to UCSB? Are there any suggestions that you all may have as well?

Appreciations.

If you are ELC eligible, there is no reason to apply to UC Merced. I would go ahead and apply to UCSB to keep peace in the family. What is your local CSU? That could be another safety if needed.

@Gumbymom It is Long Beach State, but I’ve decided that I would rather go to community college than LBSU since I would want to move out of SoCal asap (excluding UCLA and SDSU, really love the vibe of those schools.) Thanks for the advice.