Should I repeat 9th grade?

I’m currently a 9th grade student and in doubt on to apply for the 10th or 9th grade. I see it at 10th has less applicants getting accepted so it should be easier to join as a ninth grader, correct? However, I don’t want to lose a year of my life, but again, it could be important to have all 4 years of american high school under my belt if I want a good college (I did 9th in Brazil). My stats are on my other thread in the community, if that helps.
Very confused on what should I chose.

You should have this conversation with the AOs when you interview.

10th grade admission is not always harder - there are also fewer applicants. Many will be coming from junior BS and from foreign systems that have a break there. But many expect to add to their class at that point.

With that said, many students want the full 4 year BS experience and choose to repeat. Some are not as well prepared because of the school they are coming from. Some BS tend to have older kids because of repeats and being on the young side could be an issue.

Some students choose to apply to some schools on their list as 9th graders and others as 10th.

If it will be a hardship to your family to pay their portion for an extra year, that is a consideration.

You can let schools know you are open to their input and get their feedback for your situation before submitting the application.

2 Likes

Noted, I’ll ask during the interviews. Thanks for the reply.

It’s super common to repeat 9th grade at the boarding schools. My son started as a young 14 year old, which was hard. He had many freshman classmates 2 years older than him because of how their birthdays fell and repeating. Also, these kids tend to repeat for athletic and/or academic advantage. Good luck.

1 Like