Should I retake the SAT?

Hi. I’m new here and I just want to get some recommendations. So I took my SAT a few days ago and got my score back today. The score was pretty much below average. I applied to TAMU for a major in oceanography on 10/6 and I still haven’t received anything. Do y’all think it’s worth retaking the SAT? I know that colleges aren’t really looking at SAT scores this year because of COVID. My GPA is really good and I’ve taken many AP classes and I’m in NHS, Student Council, and a Thespian. Do you think I will still get considered?

Without particulars, it’s hard to say. You’ll be considered, but don’t know if you are a bubble candidate or not. NHS, student council is pretty standard for applicants. Holding leadership n them shows up better. Or longevity in the club/society.

What’s your GPA and what was your SAT score and where do you rank?

@AggieMomhelp I’m in the top 25% of my class and my GPA is about 3.7 on a 4.0 scale and my SAT score was a 1010.

@g7eventh Did A&M assign you the 1Q based on your SRAR? If you had the scores automatically sent, it surely would not hurt to retake if you are confident that you will score significantly higher.

My daughter scored much higher 1250, but was assigned 2Q by A&M and only got a PSA offer. She did PSA and is now at A&M, but I would imagine that score is probably going to impact your chances negatively.

@WWOODS1 I’m sorry, I’m new to all of these college terms, but what does “Q” and “PSA” mean? But yeah I’m probably gonna retake it. Also do you know if there is a way to cancel my sent scores to TAMU? Like do I call collegeboard?

@g7eventh Q= quarter and PSA is a soft denial with a guaranteed admission after completing 30 credits at an A&M system school that has a participating major. I believe the gpa requirement on that is 3.0 in those 30 credits. But then bam, you’re autoadmit to tamu for sophomore year.

Your SAT and GPA are low compared to the average. Many students just come up here to Blinn and do junior college one year and apply for sophomore year. Once you have completed 24 graded credits in college (and dual credit), you can apply.

TAMU is test optional this year. Your case might be improved if you let them know that you do not wish for your SAT score to be considered at all in your evaluation. Please let them know as soon as possible. I think email the admissions officer or send a message somehow.

Your top 25% of class, 3.7 GPA and choice of major should help you in getting an admit. But have some safety backups as well.

@danilibear So if I do that, they won’t look at my scores at all? Even if I retake it? Only the application and GPA and stuff? Will that better my chances of getting in rather than sending my terrible score?

@g7eventh Once your scores have been sent to A&M, you can’t take them back - they are part of your application. However, it was mentioned on another thread that your application is considered both with and without test scores and the best scenario is used to “rank” your application. My son also wanted to takeback a score that was automatically sent a year ago, so I understand where you are coming from. It can’t hurt you to retake the test if there is an opportunity in mid or late November, either ACT or SAT, especially if you feel you can do better.

Correct…this is what I was told by our Regional Admissions Office (DFW)

@g7eventh I highly recommend you reach out to your regional admissions office, they are very helpful in answering application questions and helping you put your best foot forward.

@Eggscapgoats Yeah I’m scheduled to retake the exam on the 5th.

Dec 5th? I believe all documentation needs to be received at tamu by dec 15, so you might want to consider automatically sending this score. Like @momof3B recommends, regional advisors are there for you. Best wishes!

@Eggscapgoats Alright so apparently my best bet is to hope that the admissions counselor will agree to review my application without looking at my SAT score? Is there any chance that they had already reviewed my application because I sent my application in like 2 weeks before I took the SAT and I submitted in beginning of October so it has been a month now since my application has been submitted and my scores only came back yesterday.