Should I retake the SSAT?

Score: 2265; 92nd percentile overall
Verbal: 758; 90th percentile
Quantitative/math: 791; 93rd percentile
Reading: 716; 82nd percentile

I took it once without studying anything except for vocabulary. I have already studied a bit for the SAT and found that I was familiar with the reading and math sections so that’s why I didn’t study much.

I am applying to private day schools in Westchester County, New York and Greenwich, Connecticut like Greenwich Academy, Rye Country Day School, and Hackley.

Apparently schools can see if you retake the SSAT but not how many times. So, if I leave it as is, they will know I took it once. If I retake, they will know I retook (but not how many times if I do it multiple times).

Do you guys think retake? Is the reading grade a red flag?

I would suggest retaking and hope your scores can even out. I don’t think taking it more than once. My kids all had big variances in their scores, with the later being highest. Pound the practice tests.

I wouldn’t. 92nd percentile is an excellent score. Most schools don’t give a ton of weight to the ssat. Also, I personally believe there are better uses of your time than test prep.

3 Likes

No need to retake at all. If you don’t get into GA, RCDS, etc. it will not be because of your score.

2 Likes

Okay thanks guys. That was helpful but I’m still a little on the fence. Are you sure 82 percentile reading isn’t a red flag or anything?