Should I Submit Average SAT Subject Test Scores to University of California?

I’m applying to UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UC San Diego for Computer Science.

UCLA and UCSD “recommend” that you submit SAT Subject Tests for Math II and a science. I got a 740 on Math II (55th percentile) and a 670 on Chemistry (43rd percentile). But I did much better on the SAT w/ Essay.

Do you think I should submit these scores? (If I submit them, Berkeley will also see them even though they do not recommend it, correct?)

Is there harm in not sending them? Is there harm in sending them if they are not “great” scores?

Since you are applying to a competitive major at competitive schools, although recommended, in reality SAT subject tests are really required. The majority of your fellow applicants will be submitting test scores. The Math 2 is not bad but your Chemistry subject test score will not help your chances. Much will depend upon the strength of the rest of your application.

The UC’s stance on SAT subject test are as follows:

[quote]
While SAT subject tests are not required, some campuses recommend that freshman applicants interested in competitive majors take the tests to demonstrate subject proficiency.
Remember, these are recommendations, not mandates. You will not be penalized for failing to take the SAT Subject Tests. On the other hand, submission of these test scores (just like submission of AP and/or IB scores) may add positively to the review of your application.

Either option is not ideal but I would not submit either of them as the scores do not help your application. I would rather them focus on your great SAT scores and think that maybe you just didn’t take the subject tests, versus showing them that he did in fact take them and they are below average for these top stat applicants.

The math score is good, certainly for the others than Berkeley. You definitely should submit math.

The percentiles are average, but there are an elite group taking the exams. You are not applying to top Ivies etc. Those are probably typical scores for people admitted to UCLA etc. in CS. I would submit both, but definitely math.

@sattut . . . UCLA’s a direct admit to CS and is housed in the E-school. The E-school had an overall acceptance rate of 11.4% in 2018-19, with a median SAT of 1,540 for those accepted. The enrolled had a 25th/75th SAT of 1,480/1,550. CS had the lowest AR of all the E-disciplines at 8.2%, so its median should be even higher. How this would relate to the SAT Math Level II, I’m not sure, but it should have a similarly competitive mean/median.

OK, so is not submitting scores going to look better than submitting a 740?

I wouldn’t think there’s strategy involved, even if OP is seeking E-CS at Berk. I think one should submit both scores because of UCSD’s and UCLA’s recommendations of the Math II, since math and its algorithmic formulae are necessary for CS, and chem is generally not a prerequisite for CS. I’m not sure why Berk would ding someone for sending in a math score, and I wouldn’t think they would consider it low, especially since all the UCs give AP credit for threes on the AB and BC.

I know Caltech really prefers to see 800 on the math level II, but these schools may have a little lower standards. If you don’t send both scores, it will look like they are worse than they are. If you aren’t at the level for these programs, hiding information is not going to make the situation better.

Caltech probably only has the highest scores on the planet, and I’d agree with the rest of your thoughts.

I worked with a student who improved from 610 to 700 on the math SAT, but was only able to get around 600 after tutoring on the math SAT II and physics subject test. He was applying to engineering programs which recommended the subject tests.

I transferred to a top 30 school a long time ago. My high school experience and record was really messed up, and the strongest part of my application was 740 on the math SAT II and particularly 800 in US History. It might be a number 50 school today as things are more competitive. However, it was clear at the interview that they considered the 740 a good score.

So you are really sabotaging your application not to include at least the 740. If you submit no scores, they could think they were all in the low 600s.

send the 740 I think. it’s at least in the ballpark. it should at least reassure the colleges that your other SAT subject tests can’t be terrible and must be close to 700, and keep them from suspecting that you are hiding some really bad scores.

Yes, I agree mostly with Joe. It is close whether to submit chemistry, but it would be a big mistake not to submit any scores, at is might appear they were much worse than they are.

I had a student I advised not to submit SAT IIs. She had 700 on the math level II and no other SAT IIs, but 770 on the math SAT and 5 5s on AP exams. She was applying to schools said they wanted AP exam scores or SAT II. In that case submitting would be a mistake, as she had much better scores from other types of tests.