Should I submit my SAT to UChicago

HI.
International student from Asia, and I will be applying to UChicago EDII.
My basic stuff:
3.8 gpa (unweighted)
pretty good ECs (research opportunities, volunteering, math olympiad etc)
SAT: 1460 (670R&W, 790Math)
very good rec letters
Intended major: neurosci or math

I read that I need a 1530+ SAT to be even considered as an applicant.
However, I was only able to take the SAT once, and got a very low score of 1460.
Should I still submit my scores or not?
I am from a country where SAT is available and my family can very much afford it.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Chicago has some of the highest average SAT scores among US colleges. I think the last time I looked the average for accepted students was around 1510. This means there are plenty of students below that. But also lots of students with perfect scores.

They do have test optional policy. But this is typically used for students who don’t have adequate means to prepare for standardized testing, or who come from disadvantaged background.

If I were you, I would submit. But note that your chances are lower. Good luck

Thank you very much for the advice!
I’ll try my best and compensate for it with my essays.

Do you have a strong TOEFL, IELTs or DuoLingo score to offset the SAT EBRW score?

I lean towards submitting too (pending the answer to the above question), but I don’t have a complete picture of your app so can’t really advise you. Are you working with a college counselor? If so, I would defer to their opinion.

Admissions doesn’t work that way. Strong essays are a baseline requirement for admission to Chicago.

1 Like

I have a 116 for my TOEFL.
I wouldn’t say it’s good but I think that’s the highest I can get.
I’ll ask my counselor as well.
Thanks so much for the advice.

1 Like

I would not submit. 84% of Chicago admits did. However the score is far below the average.

While I’m not familiar with the TOEFL, they require a 104 so you’re well above that.

Good luck.

1 Like

I guess I’ll have to decide with my counselor after all lol.
But thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

In the end Chicago is tough for all. You have lots of good advice here on both sides and it’s smart to discuss with your counselor.

If you get in great. But realize it’s a brutal admit for all.

So keep your head high regardless of the final decision.

2 Likes