Should I transfer to Vassar?

Hey there,

I’m a freshman at Middlebury and I’m thinking about transferring to Vassar. Vassar was my dream school. I was admitted to both and god knows why I chose Midd. The problem is that I don’t like the athletic vibe here, and I’m wondering if it will get better at Vassar.

I don’t care about academics. Reputation is also not a problem since I don’t need to work. Just need some advice about the vibe thing!

Have you applied to transfer?

What does reputation have to do with work?

I’ll let others chime in on the vibe but there’s many comments on here if you search - and only you can decide if you should transfer.

I assume since you don’t need to work that you don’t need aid - but if you did, it’s not a meets need for transfer.

Since you don’t need to work and rep doesn’t matter, why Vasser? Maybe there’s a school taht even better meets your needs - or maybe it’s Vassar.

What made you choose Midd to begin with?

Good luck.

1 Like

Vassar has always been my dream school and I don’t rly care about other schools. Just wanna know if it’s gonna be a better place for me:)

There’s no dream school. None. Zero Zilch.

You could have a bad roommate, they can have bad food. Bad profs.

Someone on here was just saying they didn’t find the campus kept up - although others disputed.

No one can tell you if it’s better - as no one knows you. Only you would know.

When you transfer, you are starting new where others are established. Something to ponder.

Last year 349 applied, 49 admitted, and 14 enrolled - so while 403 enrolled as first year…you will have to figure out how to integrate. That may be easy or may not be.

But I promise you, there are many schools you could be happy (not just Vassar) and there are kids who go to their dream school looking to transfer every year - and not just a few.

That’s because there’s no such thing.

So if it’s always your dream, why did you go to Midd?

1 Like

So, you were now admitted to Vassar as a transfer? When’s your reply date?
I assume that “I don’t need to work” means your parents are full pay so scholarships&financial issues aren’t a criterion.
As to Vassar being less “jocky” than Middlebury, yes, absolutely.

3 Likes

Agree that there is an overall less “jocky” vibe at Vassar but nobody here can predict where you will be happy.

FWIW if finances are part of your equation you may not get the same type of package as a transfer as you did for freshman admissions.

1 Like

I appreciate what others have shared about there being no such thing as a “dream school,” and of course there’re a multiplicity of places that you could be happy!

I’m a Vassar sophomore, and was a student leader helping out all the ppl who transferred here this year (I led a group of them through orientation). My impression is that they’ve felt well-supported as transfer students and that most of them like Vassar more than their old schools (to be expected… they transferred haha). Some culture shifts can be hard though (like the students who transferred from UC schools). The people who transferred over the summer (starting in the fall) definitely had better experiences than those who transferred over winter break (starting in the spring). Those who came in the fall got to do the orientation with everyone, got to start college participating in fall warm-weather traditions, registered for classes like normal, etc. Some of the students who came over the winter felt that the institution wasn’t organized in getting them into the classes they wanted or in communicating information about what would happen once they arrived.

My impression is that Vassar has a much less sporty culture than Middlebury. I’m not sure what you’re looking for sports-culture-wise, but be aware that we do still have sports teams, of course… we have lax bros too, and sports teams throw parties over the weekends and everything here too. Sometimes folks who are idealizing a “dream school” imagine that it’s something it’s not. Not saying that’s you, I just want to caution you.

Granted, most of us non-athletes don’t follow our sports teams unless we have friends on them. But I would caution you about coming if you’re looking for a completely anti-sports culture… there are a lot of people who play sports here, and also a lot who have fun on intramural teams or on clubs that run or play cricket.

Transferring is a pretty big deal, and I think you should do some more reflecting and researching… I’m not sure what you mean by “I don’t care about academics” (like you actually don’t care? Or you don’t care about the differences?) Either way, if that’s true, I’m not sure Vassar would be a good fit for you; folks here tend to care about the academics. Career services is about more than “needing to work,” I think a lot of our ideology is about finding what we want to do with our lives – even for those lucky enough to not need to work.

10 Likes

“god knows why I chose Midd.”

Presumably you do too, since you made the decision.

"I don’t care about academics. Reputation is also not a problem since I don’t need to work.

Huh?

I agree. Vassar doesn’t place the emphasis on sports that NESCACs like Middlebury surely do. If that’s the issue, then you probably will be happier at Vassar.

1 Like
 Vassar still has a relatively large sports presence, and if you want to get into parties, you do kind of have to be friends with some athletes. You don't necessarily have to, however, but I'm not really seeing how Middlebury would be that different from Vassar. If you do not really care about academics, then neither school is right for you as both schools are academically rigorous and on par with each other. Not sure what you mean by you don't need to work.

What does this mean? That you will NEVER need to work?

Vassar has an arty and quirky vibe. It is not jock-y, for sure. But it easily going to be just as academically focused as Midd. You will still have to work hard.

If all you care about is vibe, go to Vassar.

2 Likes

Why college?

1 Like