Should I use my AP Calc credit?

<p>I'll be in general engineering as a freshman. </p>

<p>I'm confident that I know Calc 1 very well (got a 5 on the AP) and I'm kinda iffy about Calc BC since I self-studied that (i'll get my score in July).</p>

<p>Also, I don't want to blown away with the workload, and I think it'd be nice to take a class I know I'll understand. I also want a class that I think would help my GPA.</p>

<p>As of now, I get out of 21 credits, but do you think I should also take the Calc 1 class?</p>

<p>Up to you. It would make your first semester more manageable, though it’s too bad that you had to give up the AP credit. With your summer classes along with your other credits, you already have a solid head-start.</p>

<p>However, a more efficient option would be to take another elective, preferably an easy one, instead of retaking calculus again. If you pick the right class, the workload won’t be terrible and it should boost your GPA while allowing you to earn additional credit towards your diploma. It might be a while before you take your next math class though, and you would probably forget some details, so you may want to refresh your math skills if you feel it would be helpful.</p>

<p>Personally, I have enough credits to max out my 38-hour limit (assuming I get at least 4s on my three AP exams this year), which allows me to skip chemistry, calculus, and english. Thus I’m planning on taking physics, multivariable calculus, and whatever electives I need my first semester course to replace the courses that I’ve received credit for. This will eventually free up my schedule for more math courses so I can double major in computer science and mathematics. I could just take calculus or chemistry again, but in my experience, I tend to care less and therefore do poorly when I’m not learning anything new.</p>

<p>The workload will probably be pretty serious, but I’m confident with it, because my high school prepared me well for these situations. I’m not worried about GPA so much, as I value taking relevant, interesting classes more. However, it’s perfectly fine to take one or two easy courses your first semester, as it well help you adjust to college more easily.</p>

<p>Skip Calculus I and go straight to Calculus II. There were people in my Virginia Tech Calc I class that were complaining all of the time how it was easier than their AP Calc course in high school. You must have had a really good instructor if you got a 5 on the exam as well. Now if you are really that good at Calc and think you can pull an A, you could do it as a way to boost your GPA for the first semester. I recommend replacing the Calc I spot with another class like a Liberal Education requirement. Those are good to get out of the way early on, especially in an engineering major. It will give you time later on to focus solely on Engineering instead of something like “Western Civilizations” your senior year.</p>

<p>Definitely use all of the AP Calculus credit given to you. I have a friend who made this same mistake, he was feeling a bit rusty so he decided to retake Calc II. It ended up being very boring and a lot of work (plus he had class all the way in Surge).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If you’re an engineering major you probably won’t be able to take multivariable calculus your first semester due to prerequisites.</p>

<p>ymon and OP: </p>

<p>Multivariable Calculus requires that you have credit for both MATH 1206 - Calculus II (Integral Calculus) and MATH 1224 - Vector Geometry. A prerequisites of Vector Geometry is MATH 1114 - Linear Algebra. And you have AP credit for the MATH 1206 prerequisite. You prob. won’t be able to take Multivariable until your sophomore year due to Vector Geometry.</p>

<p>Unless they changed something, you can take linear algebra and vector geometry at the same time (first semester) and then take multivariable the next semester. That’s what I did.</p>

<p>Yeah, I did that too. Go ahead and get multi out of the way if you can; I hated that class.</p>

<p>++to what you’re hearing here.</p>

<p>Plenty of kids take Differential Equations and Multivariable Calc at the same time, FYI</p>

<p>Thanks, I didn’t know that multivariable calculus has other prereqs. I’ll take vector geometry my first semester and take multivariable later.</p>

<p>DiffEQ and Multi at the same time really wouldn’t be that bad. DiffEQ is really easy if you approach it semi-seriously. You just have to memorize a few different ways to solve a few different problems. It’s all memorization.</p>

<p>I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’m kind of in a similar position. I haven’t gotten my score back yet, but I’m nearly 100% confident I’ll have a 5 on Calc AB, allowing me to go straight to 1206. Since I’ll be taking 1206 in fall semester, I’ll take Multivariable in the spring semester. Problem is, Multivariable requires Vector Geometry, which I thought was normally taken second semester. I need to know: Does it matter which order Elementary Linear Algebra and Vector Geometry are taken? Can Vector Geometry come 1st semester, and Elem. Linear Algebra 2nd?</p>

<p>@OP, just to say I contributed to the discussion, I plan on taking all of my Calc AB credit.</p>

<p>I’d just take linear algebra and vector geometry at the same time. It sounds like a lot of math, but you can easily finish linear before the end of September. Especially if you learn about Gauss-Jordan elimination and Eigenvalues over the summer.</p>

Bumping since I probs got a 5 on BC today. I know I’ll skip Calc I but I might take Calc II. Stupid collegeboard went skimpy on the BC material, no shell method, trig sub (that alone is a BIG deal) or newton’s law of cooling. Among other crap

My two sons skipped both Calc I and II. There’s minimal application of these classes in CS so they felt there was no need to take the classes. Son #2 didn’t bother to take Calc III until this semester and didn’t feel like it was a issue to delay taking the class. You can play around with your class schedule for the next few years to see how skipping Calc II would allow you to take other classes on a more accelerated schedule. Good luck with your choice.