Should I worry about living with coasties?

<p>I am completely at a loss for what dorm to choose! I've read all the past posts about this, but have some concerns. </p>

<p>Because of the space, the private dorms really appeal to me. Lucky looks really cool to me and apartment living is something I want to shift to sometime during college. I am from MN, and am worried about this "coastie" thing I have been hearing about, that the people you are exposed to are completely different and not in a good way. I have spent a lot of time on the East coast and I definitely felt uncomfortable at moments with all East coast private school kids, but I got along fine and had a good time. Have any midwest kids lived in a private dorm with mostly OOS people? What did you think? </p>

<p>I know that I would be fine if placed in a the school dorms, I just am one of those people who does need at least a little space. </p>

<p>Any thoughts/suggestions/etc? There are just so many options to choose from (which i guess is a good thing)!</p>

<p>I'm from Illinois, and I already signed a lease at Towers. It looks like a really great place to live, great location, food right there, nice facilities, etc. But I'm also a bit worried about that. I would suggest looking around for a suitemate also from the Midwest if you think that is who you're going to have the most in common with.</p>

<p>i'm from the east coast. WE HOT!</p>

<p>wait. do midwesterners really not like us? that's kind of odd... don't a fair amount of people from the east and west coasts come to wisconsin?</p>

<p>i definitely have had some very good and very bad experiences with people from the east coast, svg1990. i went to a camp this past summer and was the only midwesterner there. overall i just found that east coast kids valued very different things (keep in mind these people were 80% from the prep schools like exeter/andover/etc). they just seemed ignorant, thinking because i was from the midwest i was automatically some hick (do you grow corn on your football field in the summer?). and the fact that i went to a public school...gasp. it was just a huge culture shock for me being around people who were so materialistic and status-conscious. midwesterners seem much more chill and down to earth to me, although i grew up here so i am biased :) </p>

<p>i have met some east coast people who were wonderful. a boy i met this past summer at another camp who was from a public school in new york and i consider him among my best friends. it really just depends on the person. </p>

<p>i'm interested svg1990-what is your perception of people from the midwest? it is always interesting. </p>

<p>also another question-do people think that the coasties who come to wisconsin are different from the ones that stay on the east/west coast? i applied almost exclusively to schools on the east coast and in california and have never really heard bad things about the culture from friends who have gone to these schools</p>

<p>"i'm from the east coast. WE HOT!"</p>

<p>This is what I'm talking about. Sarcastic or not, take this trash back to Westchester. Can't wait for you to get pwnd in TEH REAL WORLD.</p>

<p>"wait. do midwesterners really not like us? that's kind of odd... don't a fair amount of people from the east and west coasts come to wisconsin?"</p>

<p>The reason Mich and Wisconsin attract so many coasties is because way back the day the Ivies had a tacit policy that kept Jews out. Thus, they came to highly-regarded public schools in the midwest in droves. Obviously, the policy no longer applies but the legacy of that trend continues. But of course, no coastie would ever get into an Ivy-league school anyway.</p>

1 Like

<p>Well, let me jump in here. I am originally born and raised in Madison but have lived away from there for my adult career life - about 25 years, living in several areas of the country, always in large metropolitan cities. Some were on the east coast, some were in the midwest (Chicago, St. Louis), but none were as small as Madison. I think the problem isn't the kids from the coasts at all, necessarily, but the Wisconsin kids’ perception of those kids that are a little different from themselves. I know how I grew up and mind you, I was from a fairly "well to do" family, who traveled around the world regularly and thought I was exposed to many different experiences, BUT....I STILL recognize today, that I was born and raised in the Madison "bubble." I'm not putting down a Madison - or Wisconsin for that matter - upbringing, but what I'm saying is that there is, to a large degree, a difference in what kids in larger cities are exposed to and how assertive they have learned to be in the real world. With that also comes more confidence. There is no excuse for being obnoxious certainly, but I would bet that if more kids from Wisconsin were more sure of themselves, they wouldn't be "afraid" of socializing with new kids with more diversity in their backgrounds. If you come off immediately being skeptical of kids from other places, then you put yourself in defense mode and that's no way to make new friends. I think the whole "coastie" thing is overblown. For one example, I find it ridiculous that Madison kids would think "coasties" are snobby for wearing UGGS. UGGs are worn all over the country. Kids don't wear them to be snobby, they wear them because they're warm and comfortable. They also happen to be somewhat still in fashion. Nobody's trying to be pretentious. If the kids that wear more expensive clothing or drive more expensive cars, can do so, it doesn't necessarily mean they're snobs, it's just the environment they grew up in. And really, here's my point.... The kids that come from more money don't think as much of it as the kids from Wisconsin, simply because they’re used to it. The kids from Wisconsin, automatically think those kids are boasting or snobs, and feel defensive due to their own inferior feelings - they shouldn't. Again, it's ridiculous. My own kids went to prep schools and go to colleges on the east coast and in Chicago. They've never had any of these issues whatsoever with relating to people. They truly are warm and compassionate kids. My son is set to go to UW next fall and I don't anticipate he will have any problems socializing with anybody. He wasn't raised on the coast, but in a larger metropolitan city and his first choice of dorms are Witte and Sellery! Given the fact that UW likes to boast about diversity, you’d think the kids from Wisconsin would try to be more open minded and less insecure about who they themselves want to make friends with. If they only want to stick with “their own kind,” then who has the problem?</p>

<p>Nobody said people from the coasts in general are coasties.</p>

<p>Being from the coasts is neither necessary or sufficient for being a coastie. Rather, coasties are a certain clique. It's the way you dress and carry yourself. It's the self-entitlement. It's the idiotic comments. Et cetera, etc. These people happen to be from the coasts. Hence, "coastie."</p>

<p>And I don't think I can accept the claim kids form larger cities are exposed to more people and experiences and thus must act assertively to get by in life. That may be, but the majority of coasties are from ultra-suburban parts of NY, New Jersey, an so on, not from the "big city." I'm sure the neighborhoods most coasties grew up in vary little from my old neighborhood. If anything, they're the ones living in a bubble.</p>

<p>Again, I don't hate people based on anything but their character. I don't hate people from the coasts simply because of that fact. The ball is in the their court, and they have dropped it on every occasion (to me at least).</p>

<p>I really don't think it is fair to be judging people simply because they're from the east/west coast. Maybe you should come visit NYC, NJ, NY state, etc. and see for yourself how true the stereotypes you have of us are.</p>

<p>We are from So Cal, and D attended an east coast boarding school her last two years. She said students from there were definitely different: more reserved and competitive, and harder to make friends.</p>

<p>mohammed -- I'm gonna get "pwnd" in the real world? Ok... Well, I didn't know the real world was a game of Halo... Glad for that reality check! You might also want to know that this "real world" you're mentioning is on the East Coast, in places such as New York, Boston, and DC. The people in these cities like people who are from there, and who know about the lifestyles of the East. And your comment on "Coasties" going to Ivy league schools is just 100% false. Roughly 1/4 of the class at my school goes Ivy, and most of the other 3/4 go to schools in the top 25 universities in the country, or top 10 liberal arts colleges. And the real reason Michigan and Wisconsin attract OOS East Coasters has nothing to do with being Jewish. People go to those schools because they couldn't go Ivy or get into their top-choice school in the East or in California. That doesn't mean the people there aren't highly intelligent, but most people from the East would rather stay there, or go to the West Coast.</p>

<p>volleysnap -- As a person from the East Coast, I would say the thing about going to a school in the Midwest is that it's a very different lifestyle. We're used to seeing the latest fashion trends, going to movie sneak-peeks, and having Europe just an ocean away. It's also kind of funny how people think everyone from the East Coast goes to private or prep school. I mean, I do, but that doesn't mean everyone else does!</p>

<p>I think the main concern is those from the upper class. I doubt there's a real difference between lower to middle-class kids in any region of the U.S., unless it's an extreme, like middle of nowhere Louisiana or Alabama where the kids would be quite different from the kids in the suburbs.</p>

<p>svg, you have no obvious knowledge of history. Mo was exactly right. Back in the 20's through the early 60's most elite colleges had quotas on the number of Jews they would take. The rest went to places like UM and UW which welcomed them. In some older Jewish communities on the east coast many parents and grandparents still have strong inclinations for their kids to go to the schools that took them in.</p>

<p>Wisconsinites don't have any knowledge/preconceptions about those from the coasts. The students from OOS who choose to segregate themselves from the mainstream by living in the private dorms are giving themselves a reputation. Those that choose the public dorms, no matter how wealthy they are, are making the choice to join in with the rest of the freshmen. Those who "need their space" and otherwise consider themselves above the public dorms are the ones creating the snobbish attitude. Most Wisconsin residents, regardless of income, don't shy away from Res Halls. I don't understand how needing to eat at an off campus dorm to utilize the meal plan is more convenient than having lunch on campus. So, OOS student, you chose to come here, why can't you mingle with the locals? I had a wealthy OOS (Long Island, NY) roommate eons ago- it was a learning experience for both of us- I barely had enough clothes to wear, she had the expensive shirts and pants (that was a T-shirt and jeans era). Maybe living with others from one's home area is a security blanket against culture shock, the ones who are on a budget will opt for the cheaper housing with the rest of the students. My first roommate was from a medium sized Wis city who stated her winter coat, with its fur collar, was too good for UW- she was right (she also told me she wanted a different dorm and thankfully was able to move to it).</p>

<p>In summary- nothing wrong with coasties if they chose integration over segregation. There are literally generations of students who think they need to differentiate themselves by not mixing with the local riffraff- they miss out on a learning experience outside the classroom. BTW, UW OOS tuition used to be a bargain until the state legislature decided to raise it in wake of the large numbers of OOS radicals circa the late 1960's. I remember being from New York, not any religion, was associated with radicalism when I was in a suburban Madison HS.</p>

<p>"Wisconsinites don't have any knowledge/preconceptions about those from the coasts"</p>

<p>Then why would we be having a "coastie" discussion? </p>

<p>"Those who "need their space" and otherwise consider themselves above the public dorms are the ones creating the snobbish attitude."</p>

<p>I still don't understand why this then, is being perceived as snobby. I don't think it's a matter of feeling "above" anything, but let's face it, colleges across the country are now more focused than ever, on revamping the old and building newer residence halls. OOS students pay a LOT of money to go to colleges and some of the living spaces have gotten pretty bad and run down. If families want more comfort (air conditioning for one!) for their money, and can afford it, why is that snobby? Housing isn't even guaranteed for OOS students freshman year in the res halls. </p>

<p>"Maybe living with others from one's home area is a security blanket against culture shock, the ones who are on a budget will opt for the cheaper housing with the rest of the students."</p>

<p>Not only are the dorms not the be-all-end-all in how friends connect during college (yes, I know it's a large factor freshman year), but it's the OOS students that ARE broadening their comfort zone to begin with, by going to school OOS and in a new and different environment from their own. Just because they choose a newer dorm, again, shouldn't be perceived by IS kids to be snobby. I was born and raised in Madison, have family there and have spent my whole adult life going back there many times a year... I still feel the Wisconsin kids who are so defensive toward those not "just like them" need to rethink their attitudes as well. Because I think there is too much of - and a very unhealthy - generalization of OOS students, whether from the coasts or with money or both. Anywhere you go in life, you'll run into humble people with money and those not so humble. You'll also run into humble people without money and those without money that are jerks. </p>

<p>So I say, relax, be open-minded and learn to get along, because I don’t think this “coastie” label is being used at any other Midwestern universities or colleges. It seems to be a UW issue, with the IS kids.</p>

<p>It was a pretty common feeling at UC Boulder. There certainly is some of this at Michigan too. They just have not come out with the T-shirts yet.</p>

<p>Welcome</a> to Sconnie Nation</p>

<p>Whatever the rift, according to this survey the students are happy.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/471470-s-finally-ready-college-admissions-office-ratings-part-two.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/471470-s-finally-ready-college-admissions-office-ratings-part-two.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>WHO uses the term? I hadn't heard it from any instate people, only from OOS ones on CC. It is snobbish to need creature comforts better than Res Halls provides. The dorms at many elite private colleges are terrible from what I've read on CC- triples... and often poor food plans also. Why bother coming to Wisconsin if you don't want to become a part of the culture on campus? Not all students from OOS are rich enough that dorm costs don't matter. It is irrelevant how much you pay in tuition as to what your college expectations should be compared to others. Instate students parents have already paid their share via our high taxes. BTW- they have revamped the dorms' bathrooms and such so they are a lot better than when I was there. Finally- the academics, not fancy living accomodations, are what make for the best college experience. Perhaps coasty refers to that small number of students who choose to set themselves apart, most OOS students from the East coast are identified by their accent, not their actions.</p>

<p>Lol, who says "coasties"? Midwestern slang or something? </p>

<p>
[quote]
This is what I'm talking about. Sarcastic or not, take this trash back to Westchester. Can't wait for you to get pwnd in TEH REAL WORLD.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Are you really saying that the coasts are not the real world? If you look at the population distribution in the US, people are concentrated at the coasts. (in any country, people will be clustered near the coasts if the country is not landlocked, since the waters historically provide resources and transportation, "ports of call" ) If we're talking about the "real world" in terms of where most people live, I might as well argue that the coasts are the real world and that the Midwest is not.</p>

<p>Also, in terms of the different ethnic/religious/socioeconomic groups that east coasters are exposed to, especially those who come from big cities or the surrounding suburbia, there's much more diversity here than in much of the midwest. We are not living in a bubble. Most cities and large towns here have their good and bad parts. And not all east coast kids go to private boarding schools, LOL. Nearly all of us attend public schools, just like you.. it's just your stereotypical perceptions of students on the coasts that might make you think that. There is only one Exeter, there is only one Andover. They are not 1 million student sized schools. And most of their alumni's university preferences should tend to be the ivy-esque schools on the coasts, with a few exceptions.</p>

<p>Wis75--given the number of articles about it in the local campus press and the state press, I think it's something real.<br>
Why is it snobbish to want your own bedroom and bathroom? For most kids today it was standard in their home. I just don't understand the Wisconsin fear and distaste for anything they view as different than their standards. Many of us did not grow up going to beer halls stinking of stale beer and puke. Maybe we like to dress in something other than jeans and a UW tshirt day and night. Maybe we even like wine over beer, steak sandwiches over brats, and a good martini over all. One thing job recruiters have told me about UW grads is that they are smart and hardworking but lack "polish". I think that's especially true of the more sheltered instate kids. It's a two-way street to respect.</p>

<p>Exactly. Well said, Barrons.</p>